Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Scary Obituary

In 1887 Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the
University of Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the
Athenian Republic some 2,000 years prior: "A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse over loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a
dictatorship."

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the
beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage."

The Obituary follows:

Born 1776, Died 2012

Professor Joseph Olson of Hamline University School of Law in
St. Paul, Minnesota, points out some interesting facts concerning the last Presidential election:

Number of States won by: Obama: 19 McCain: 29
Square miles of land won by: Obama: 580,000 McCain: 2,427,000
Population of counties won by: Obama: 127 million McCain: 143 million
Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won : Obama: 13.2 McCain: 2.1

Professor Olson adds: "In aggregate, the map of the territory
McCain won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens
of the country. Obama territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in low income tenements and living off various forms of government welfare..."

Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the
"complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.

If Congress grants amnesty and citizenship to twenty million
invaders called dreamers (illegals) - and they vote - then we can say goodbye to the USA in fewer than five years.

How much is at stake, knowing that apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom?

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
That's the plan. See "2016: Obama's America", if you haven't already. (Also re-read the last book in you Bible at home, while we're still permitted to...)

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Which is precisely why we were not founded as a national democracy in any sense. We were founded as a national republic. Quite a thing apart. The mythology that we were founded as a national democracy started with Wilson.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If we are in danger of bondage, it is to the moneyed interests that now own our government. Read that as the banks and corporations who have found a way to socialize their risks and privatize their profits.

One day maybe I'll be able to buy me a lobbyist or two so that I can once again know what it feels like to be represented in Congress...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good point, maybe as a national republic the U.S. can make it to 250 or even 300 years.

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Hell,...the end of America as *I* know it occurred quite some time ago.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Which is precisely why we were not founded as a national democracy in any sense. We were founded as a national republic. Quite a thing apart. The mythology that we were founded as a national democracy started with Wilson.

While seeing my orthopedic surgeon, he told while he was in medical school students had to study flu. His instructor illustrated catastrophic effects of flu by using Wilson. It was suspected that Wilson had contracted Spanish Influenza during a trip to Europe. After, his behavior became bizarre. I believe it was Clemenceau who, during the Treaty of Versailles, made the comment about Wilson believing he thought himself to be more important than Jesus Christ. I believe that later in his life Wilson was committed to sanatorium due to mental illness, which was believed to have been caused by Spanish Influenza.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by OlyWa
If we are in danger of bondage, it is to the moneyed interests that now own our government. Read that as the banks and corporations who have found a way to socialize their risks and privatize their profits.

One day maybe I'll be able to buy me a lobbyist or two so that I can once again know what it feels like to be represented in Congress...

Excellent, and right on the money, so to write.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Speaking of which,...I got a flu shot at the drug store today.

,...so if I come down with the Messiah complex,...it'll be due to something other than influenza.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I agree. It began under Wilson and completed under FDR. That's when all power was centralized, our economy was centralized, the Tenth Amendment was de facto eliminated from our Bill of Rights, and presidents began to assume dictatorial power; e.g., Obama declaring war on Libya w/o congressional approval.

For those who believe in the living constitution theory, you might be right, for all things living will die, and our constitution did a long time ago.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Totally agree. Problem is we have moved closer and closer to a democracy. To the point that I think we're there. Ask most high school kids. They've been told over and over that we live in a democracy. Guess where they got that idea.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OlyWa

Spot on. If you don't have a lobbyist, you're not important to anyone in Washington.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by pira114

Totally agree. Problem is we have moved closer and closer to a democracy. To the point that I think we're there. Ask most high school kids. They've been told over and over that we live in a democracy. Guess where they got that idea.

Actually I believe we're becoming an oligarchy, that's if we're not de facto one now.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Raisuli

I agree. It began under Wilson and completed under FDR. That's when all power was centralized, our economy was centralized, the Tenth Amendment was de facto eliminated from our Bill of Rights, and presidents began to assume dictatorial power; e.g., Obama declaring war on Libya w/o congressional approval.

For those who believe in the living constitution theory, you might be right, for all things living will die, and our constitution did a long time ago.

I wasn't around for Wilson and FDR,..so I can't claim that America as my own.

*My* america ended wunst pot got past $50 an ounce.

Reagan did that.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I believe we are a democratic republic.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Do you trust the Government to inject something in you each year? Not me! Now you see vaccines for singles, pneumonia, etc. How many you gonna take?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
All this is mildly interesting but of no importance right now.
We have an election to win and a President to beat. We have a "reset" button to push so as to prove Benjamin Franklin wrong.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 09/09/12.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
We have an election to win and a President to beat.

Not so much as an "election", I think ...

More like an EJECTION.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
We have an election to win and a President to beat. We have a "reset" button to push so as to prove Benjamin Franklin wrong.

You think Romney is a "reset"? Seriously?

Did that Party pill hurt when you swallowed it, or was it injected too?

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Speaking of which,...I got a flu shot at the drug store today.

,...so if I come down with the Messiah complex,...it'll be due to something other than influenza.
Yes, it would be pure and simple insanity. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1minute, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 204guy, 49 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,912
Posts18,498,301
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.