Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
When a man shows up to his first day of 9th grade wearing his MOH, I should hope that the entire faculty stood at attention when he strode in.

Most teachers today probably wouldn't come to attention, but they should.

A GREAT read, thanks for posting this.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The real story is plenty impressive, and more believable:

http://live.autographmagazine.com/profiles/blogs/pfc-jacklyn-h-lucas-usmcr

Private First Class Jacklyn Harold Lucas (14 February 1928 � 5 June 2008) was a United States Marine who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions during the Iwo Jima campaign � for unhesitatingly hurling himself over his comrades upon one grenade and for pulling another one under himself. One of the grenades exploded, and Lucas absorbed the entire blasting force of it with his own body. Private First Class Lucas, the youngest Marine ever to receive the United States' highest military decoration, was presented the award by President Harry S. Truman at the White House on 5 October 1945.

Although only 14 years of age, having a muscular build, 5 ft 8 in tall and weighing 180 pounds he enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve without his mother's consent on 6 August 1942. He gave his age as 17, and went to Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, South Carolina for recruit training. During his rifle training, Pvt. Lucas qualified as a sharpshooter. He was next assigned to the Marine Barracks and Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Florida. In June 1943, he was transferred to the 21st Replacement Battalion at New River, North Carolina, and one month later he went to the 25th Replacement Battalion, where he successfully completed schooling which qualified him as a heavy machine gun crewman. He left the continental United States on 4 November 1943, and the following month he joined the 6th Base Depot of the V Amphibious Corps at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. He was advanced to private first class on 29 January 1944. With statements to his buddies that he was going to join a combat organization, PFC Lucas walked out of camp on 10 January 1945, wearing a khaki uniform and carrying his dungarees and field shoes in a roll under his arm. He stowed away on board USS Deuel which was transporting units of the 5th Marine Division into combat. He surrendered to the senior troop officer present on 8 February 1945 dressed in neat, clean dungarees. He was allowed to remain, and shortly after he was transferred to Headquarters Company, 5th Marine Division. He reached his 17th birthday while at sea, six days before the heroic actions at Iwo Jima, for which he was awarded the Medal of Honor.

On the day following the landing at Iwo Jima, he was creeping through a twisting ravine with three other men of his rifle team when the Japanese opened an attack on them. The men were in a trench when two enemy grenades landed nearby. Lucas pushed a thrown hand grenade into the volcanic ash and covered it with his rifle and his body. He reached out and pulled a second grenade beneath him. His companions had thought he died in the blast, so they left him, but he was amazingly still alive. Severely wounded in the right arm and wrist, right leg and thigh, and chest, Pvt. Lucas had undoubtedly saved his companions from serious injury and possible death. He was evacuated to the hospital ship Samaritan, and then treated at various field hospitals prior to his arrival in San Francisco, California on 28 March 1945. He eventually underwent 21 surgeries. For the rest of his life, there remained about 200 pieces of metal, some the size of 22 caliber bullets, in Lucas' body � which set off airport metal detectors.

The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR to

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS JACKLYN H. LUCAS
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS RESERVE

for service as set forth in the following CITATION:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the First Battalion, Twenty-sixth Marines, Fifth Marine Division, during action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands 20 February 1945. While creeping through a treacherous, twisting ravine which ran in close proximity to a fluid and uncertain front line on D-plus+1 Day, Private First Class Lucas and three other men were suddenly ambushed by a hostile patrol which savagely attacked with rifle fire and grenades. Quick to act when the lives of the small group were endangered by two grenades which landed directly in front of them, Private First Class Lucas unhesitatingly hurled himself over his comrades upon one grenade and pulled the other one under him, absorbing the whole blasting force of the explosions in his own body in order to shield his companions from the concussion and murderous flying fragments. By his inspiring action and valiant spirit of self-sacrifice, he not only protected his comrades from certain injury or possible death, but also enabled them to rout the Japanese patrol and continue the advance. His exceptionally courageous initiative and loyalty reflect the highest credit upon Private First Class Lucas and the United States Naval Service.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a shame that someone felt the need to sensationalize and lie about the story of what really happened. The truth is impressive enough.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
But who wrote the story, Robert Gibbs? The guys a true hero, but the trashy writing is straight out of the comics.

He needs better writers.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Free fall from 3500 ft and walked away? Be serious....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
It's a shame that someone felt the need to sensationalize and lie about the story of what really happened. The truth is impressive enough.

Yep.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
sounds like the same story to me, just not as colorfully descriptive.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know some bad ass Marines but Jack is the baddest ass of them all.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Believe the author is Ben Thompson, or at least it reads like his style.

There is one floating around on the ethernet now on Neil Armstrong, same type of writing style and page.

Thompson writes about a number of American notables, in the style of parody.

Not exactly respectful.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Semper Fi

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
sounds like the same story to me, just not as colorfully descriptive.

It was just embellished, until the unexplained 3500' free fall.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
from Wikipedia,

Later life

Lucas earned a business degree from High Point University and was initiated into the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity (Delta Omega Chapter). He served in the 82nd Airborne Division from 1961 to 1965 as a paratrooper to conquer his fear of heights and survived a training jump in which both of his parachutes did not open.[2] When the keel of the USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7) was laid, Lucas placed his Medal of Honor citation in the ship's hull, where it remains sealed.[5]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You never know what you can do until you try. Helluva man there.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great story. We need to hear more of these. Jeez, just the glare on his face scared me.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
A few more details here on HomeofHeroes.com: http://www.homeofheroes.com/jacklucas/index.html

For some reason, I can't get it straight to the "My Story" part, but click on the left side there. Also some pictures too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He served in the 82nd Airborne Division from 1961 to 1965 as a paratrooper to conquer his fear of heights and survived a training jump in which both of his parachutes did not open.

If he was born in '27 that would make him about 33 or 34 when he joined up again, even so no mean feat considering the physical demands of basic training and jump school.

As for that jump, surely one or both chutes candled, providing a significant amount of drag, otherwise he woulda hit the ground at about 120mph where a tuck and roll prob'ly wouldn't change the outcome.

He apparently walked away, whereas the miraculous skydiving escapes I've read of generally involve shattered leg bones and broken pelvises.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,389
Posts18,488,664
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.