Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
As we all venture into the back country this season I was thinking, I wonder how many rounds of ammo folks here at the fire carry with them. Rifle ammo that is. Anyone got a lucky number they take with them? Anyone ever run out not take enough!

For starters I take 11 as my only daughter was born on the 11th of July. Suppose I could take 8 for the month in the year she was born. Or maybe 20, the two added together. One things for sure. I'm not gonna take 2009 rounds with me! smile

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
When I backpack into the Cascades for the High Buck hunt here in Washington, I take 10 rounds of .25-06 ammo.

When I went into the Wind Rivers for elk, I think I took 20 rounds of 7mm Rem mag, and six .44's in my revolver. That was a horseback trek in though, I went heavier than I'd go while backpacking.

Typically use only one anyway.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
I take seven.

Five in the rifle itself, one extra at the bottom of my pack that I have to work to get to...so I have some time to think about what I might be doing wrong... and one back at camp to give me time to REALLY think about what I did wrong.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For a day, I generally whatever the rifle holds + 10 since my Uncle Mikes cartridge carrier holds 10. Same idea with a handgun but it's + 12.

If I'm going to stay overnight (doesn't matter how many nights), I usually double it, half the spare ammo on my person, half stays in my pack if I'm backpacking or in the truck if I'm car camping. That's 24-25 rounds of rifle shells depending on the rifle, 30 rounds for the revolver. In both cases, that includes what's in the gun.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
On my sheep rifle, I have one of those stretchy ammo carriers on the stock. It holds nine, so nine I take. I generally have to cross recreational areas and or parks to start off with an unloaded rifle, hence nothing extra in the magazine.

Frans Diepstraten
www.terrahunt.com
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I take 8 to 10 rounds but based on my shooting for the past few years 4 would be more than enough.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
As a kid, my dad liked to reload more than he liked to hunt. I thought it was normal to hunt with 600 rounds in the truck. We'd hike to the top of the hill in the morning, if by early afternoon we had not seen a deer, we'd head lower and hunt jack rabbits. A .30-06 isn't the best rabbit gun but we had a lot of fun.

Now I tend to carry 6 in my rifle and 10 in my Uncle Mikes ammo carrier but I still have at least 50 in the truck.

A few years back, I got away from my fathers ideas and only took 10 rounds on an elk hunt. I fell pretty hard and dinged my scope. Took 8 of those 10 to get the scope back on target and I was sick using my Nosler Partitions for target practice. Now I have cartridges loaded with cheap bullets in the truck for that situation.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm about the same as T O M.

If I'm carrying bolt action and pistol - 25 rounds of rifle, 17 of pistol. (.308 weighs less per round than .45 acp).

If I'm carrying AR and pistol - 20 rounder in the rifle, 30 rounder in the pack, 8 rounds in pistol.

If I'm carrying only pistol - 28 rounds.

For actually taking game, whatever is in the rifle is enough.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That last, most of the time ... even shooting a Ruger #1 or a sidelock. Occasionally I have 2 tags in my pocket so I'll allow for reloads in that situation. smile

The extra ammo is for other stuff that "needs shootin'" or a sight check or even a sight-in after a fall. I haven't had that happen in a very long time but the possibility remains .. I might even be overdue.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by oughtsix
As we all venture into the back country this season I was thinking, I wonder how many rounds of ammo folks here at the fire carry with them. Rifle ammo that is. Anyone got a lucky number they take with them? Anyone ever run out not take enough!

For starters I take 11 as my only daughter was born on the 11th of July. Suppose I could take 8 for the month in the year she was born. Or maybe 20, the two added together. One things for sure. I'm not gonna take 2009 rounds with me! smile

Just so you don't have bad luck befall you for not taking the lucky number of bullets with you....July is the 7th month. 8 plus 11 is 19, not 20. So if you use 7 plus 11 you should take 18, which I personally think is a pretty lucky number for ya! In any regards, I hope you find the lucky number and are successful this year! smile

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
8 always always always, 3 in the rifle 5 in the pouch, then, when I get back to the car i can account for all of it.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I pack about 6-8 rounds total for day hunts or backpack hunts it does not matter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
4 in mag on the hunt.
3 in uncle mikes side carrier.
5 in strip in ruck.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 48 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,294
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.