Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I own, and shoot, 4 Browning shotguns. Quality and reliability of all of them has been absolutely top notch.
Based upon my experience with those guns, I'm considering the purchase of an X-Bolt rifle. I worked up some handloads for a friend's A-Bolt, and was impressed with the rifle's workmanship and it's accuracy.
Any X-Bolt shooters out there?

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From what I have seen on the fire, the browning rifles do not get a lot of love.....I would much rather own a Remington seven or 700, just my opinion.

guns to me are like legal crack
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Just curious- have you ever owned, or fired, a Browning X Bolt?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 303savage
From what I have seen on the fire, the browning rifles do not get a lot of love.....I would much rather own a Remington seven or 700, just my opinion.

Because?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the A/X-bolt are great rifles. My brother had an A-bolt for a short while. His was a very accurate gun and I hear the X-bolt is carrying a similar reputation. If you like the 60� bolt lift and a tang safety it would be a great gun to own. I'm not sure why someone would sing praises for a Sako but not a Browning as they are very similar rifles to me.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have three ABolt and five XBolt rifles. They are very accurate out of the box rifles you will ever own. No trigger adjustment required, no floating of the barrel needed, no glass bedding required, no pillar bedding. Just scope it and shoot. Quality is above average.

Every XBolt I have is under 1" for five shots at 100 yds. I have 308 win, 25-06 Rem, 270, 7WSM, and 22-250. ABolts in 30-06, 300 WSM and a rare 358 Win. Forgot to mention a rare laminated varnmint model in 7-08 with heavy barrel and cutout contoured stock.

There are lots of folks here that like a shoot Brownings. We do a lot of shooting and no complaining.

Last edited by AlabamaEd; 09/12/12.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've owned an A-bolt (270) and currently an X-bolt (243). Both guns have been top notch. My X-bolt has been my favorite rifle.

Like stated Browning doesn't get much love on here, but then again neither does the 270 winchester lol.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned a half dozen or so X-Bolts in various calibers and every one shot MOA right out of the box, I love the light weight and sleek feel of these rifles also fit and finish has been top notch. I don't think you can go wrong with an X-bolt rifle................Good luck...........Hb

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I know X-Bolts shoot well. But there are many aspects to them I dislike. I don't like the "bolt button" to work the action on safe. I don't like the plastic magazines. I don't like the 60* bolt throw. There are very few options for scope mount bases. And no aftermarket support. But they do shoot, well...

[Linked Image]

It's purely a preference thing.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Browning A/X bolts are accurate, servicable rifles, but they aren't your father's Brownings. I have owned 3 or 4 A Bolts that all shot very well...they just didn't have that feel of quality or je ne sais qua. I won't buy another, especially an X Bolt. Their looks just don't float my boat.

NRA Benefactor member
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When talking with my Gunsmith Mr William Haines whom builds several rifles a month for Cabelas, builds parts for Nasa, and nuclear reactors because he is one of 2 machine shops in the United States that can meet the required tolerances of some of the highly critical parts that Nasal and Nuclear Reactors can require had to say. The browning actions are machined to near perfect tolerances: quote. Interestingly enouph William claims the Remington action though a very solid action have tolerances that in Bills words are are somewhat surprising and not in a good way. However Bill claims they still are a great action they just require a heck of a lot of work.Bill said and I quote: There is no way an off the shelf Remington is going to shoot like an off the shelf Browning bolt action rifle.. This advise came from a man who inspects everything he works on with a million power microscope and machines part in the millionths not hundredths of thousands. All in all even if isn't a lot of love for the Browning on the fire then it must be one he'll of a well kept secret.

Shod

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have owned a SS A Bolt in 270 Stainess stalker and the same in 7 Mag. Dad had a Blued 7 Mag abolt and A stainless stalker 270, both shot less than 1/2" three shot groups. Nephew and brother in law have 7 Mag Safari II's. I worked up loads for both of them and they both shoot 1" or less 3 shot groups.

A freind just passed away. He wife has his A bolt 270 Gold White Medallion SS that had been bedded, barrel freefloated, with trigger job, and that rifle shoots the 130g Noslers into a single ragged hole with R#22(she is going to sale the rifle).

The triggers on the A bolts are easy to get lighter just by changing out the spring.

I am not familiar with the X bolts...can't help you there.

Last edited by keith; 09/12/12.
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
I own a X-bolt in 300 wsm and I only have good thing to say about it.The rifle is really accurate,the trigger is real good,its lightweight and it handle nicely.

I think they are some of the best rifle in their price range out of the box.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Remington actions haven't required any work to shoot well below MOA. I just don't like Japanese Brownings.....the older Brownings are fine.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bighorn

I've owned A-Bolt's, Abolt II's and X-Bolt's.They have all been exceptional rifles for fit/finish, accuracy and I have never had a problem of any kind with a Browning. Currently have an X-bolt in 7mm-08 that delivers 1" or less groups at 100 yds with 4 or 5 different factory loads. If it fits ya - go for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've owned a pile of them. With a little trigger work all have been good shooters, reliable and aren't picky about what you feed 'em. The X-Bolt comes with a much better trigger, recoil pad and stock IMO.

I've had Model 81's. A-Bolts and X-bolts and if they didn't perform, I wouldn't continue to buy them.

The only problem I've ever encountered -(A-Bolt) is the front action screws working loose over time and a little lock tite fixed that.

That's happened on two that I've owned.

B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
You, and John Moses Browning- any coincidence? smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, I picked that name because my favorite gun of all time is the Auto 5.

I love duck hunting.

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 300 win mag x-bolt in stainless stalker its a nice rifle accurate handles nicely shoots everything well, I will be using it on my first guided trip next year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All Medallions were bedded and free floated at the factory. I think the X Bolts might just be some of the ugliest firearms ever made, but I'm sure they are accurate. I own a few Abolts and an Abolt II, very nice rifles and extrememly accurate. Not sure why Browning has chosen to make their firearms look all "space age" lately, but it certainly doesn't make me want to buy one.

B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Well, I picked up a Browning X-Bolt, in synthetic Gray stock, cal. .30-06. Not because I particularly needed it, but I wanted to try a Browning rifle, based upon previous good experience with Browning firearms, and reports of great accuracy.

Cleaned it up, applied Dyna Bore Coat and Dyna Shield to it, mounted up a Leupold VX3 3.5-10 scope in Talley LW rings, and headed to the range today with a box of Federal 165 gr. Barnes TSX bullet ammo.

Three shots to sight in, then shot two, three-shot groups at 100 yds. Both groups measured .7", for heaven's sake, out of a new barrel and with factory ammo!!

Then, on to the 300 yd. range- dialed in the turret, and centered the 300 yard gongs, no problem. This rifle is definitely a shooter, and kinda makes me wonder why I have spent all the time and money doing custom rifles, barrels, and stocks.
The trigger on this rifle is probably its best feature, other than it's accuracy- absolutely no creep whatsoever. Weight of rifle, with scope and rings, is exactly 7.5 lb.
Not sure why there is so much negative stuff on this forum about Brownings, but I am impressed so far.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Bighorn

Not sure why there is so much negative stuff on this forum about Brownings, but I am impressed so far.

Not sure either, especially since there seems to be 10 reports like yours compared to every 1 non-factual negative based opinion.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The guys in coastal Alaska have reported problems with the triggers rusting is about all that I can remember, but since I live almost smack dab in the middle (East to west) of Canada, I don't worry about that. My Browning is super accurate and has a real decent trigger on it.

I shot in a guys 308 BLR this weekend and with factory 150 Winchesters, it printed 3/4" at 100 yards for both of us. Wouldn't have guessed it would have been that accurate.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've never had one but my buddy loves his. He's not a rifle loony like us though. All he has for deer is his Marlin 30/30 and an A bolt in 7mm08.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by the_shootist
The guys in coastal Alaska have reported problems with the triggers rusting is about all that I can remember, but since I live almost smack dab in the middle (East to west) of Canada, I don't worry about that. My Browning is super accurate and has a real decent trigger on it.

I shot in a guys 308 BLR this weekend and with factory 150 Winchesters, it printed 3/4" at 100 yards for both of us. Wouldn't have guessed it would have been that accurate.

I've read this same "Coastal Alaska-rusty trigger" problem on here also. Not sure if it's one of those "heard it from my buddy John, who heard it from his cousin Bill, stories, or if it was a first hand experience.

I CAN say from personal experience, that I've dragged my A Bolt thru some of the saltiest marshes, and pluff mud along the SC coast for more than 20 years. We deer hunt for 4.5 months here in SC, one of the longest, if not THE longest deer seasons in the country, and it's never failed to do it's job, which is to kill [bleep]. Once a year, it gets wiped down with a oily rag, and the barrel gets cleaned. Other than removing the stock to remove that gawd awful shiny finish and doing a trigger job, it's never been apart. It's made 3 trips to Saskatchewan for deer and worked perfectly. Can't ask much more out of a $360.00 rifle...

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
update on my Browning 300 x-bolt stainless stalker I traded it yesterday for a Kimber Montana 84L in 280ai.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by byd
update on my Browning 300 x-bolt stainless stalker I traded it yesterday for a Kimber Montana 84L in 280ai.

The 280 AI just may be the most scookum round ever invented. Are you going to shoot the Nosler custom ammo or reload? Sorry....didn't mean to highjack the browning rifle thread. Brownings are scookum also.

Shod

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I owned a A-bolt in 375 H&H for a few years, it was very accurate, but occasionally would not eject LOADED cartridges, if I wanted to work them thru the action, it never happened with fired cases so I think it was an over all length issue

T
T
I just bought an X-Bolt in 7-08. The "Composite Stalker". I mounted a VX-2 3-9 on Talley lightweights, and handloaded some 140gr TTSX rounds. Got on the paper at 100 yds and shot a .70 group off a Caldwell rest. Then shot another such group off my pack. So far, I like everything about the gun, especially the four-screw mounts. (I've never been able to believe that two little screws per mount will hold everything in place.) TJ

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 280AI may be the most "Scookum" round ever invented, but I just hope, for the new owner of the Montana, that it shoots near as good as my Browning A-Bolt in 6.5x55 Swede!

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So do I.

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have had good luck with brownings. I wanted to get out of the magnum business, my shots aren;t long enough to need them.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Damn guy's all this love is makin Me want to go out and buy me a new X-Bolt SS in 300 WSM grin......................Hb

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One of the finest rifles I own is my Browning X-Bolt 300 WM Stainless Stalker. It has never failed to eject a spent case or jam when I cycle in a new round. The 60 degree bolt cycles as smooth as any rifle I own. That said, It bangs the crap out of me off the bench (I normally use a Past Pad if I'm shooting more than 10 or 12 rounds off a bench). However, is a real pleasure to shoot off-hand or from shooting sticks in the field. It's also accurate to ranges much further than I care to shoot. It is and will always be my long range rifle big game.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by rj308
The 280AI may be the most "Scookum" round ever invented, but I just hope, for the new owner of the Montana, that it shoots near as good as my Browning A-Bolt in 6.5x55 Swede!

Now that's a round I wish the X-Bolt was chambered in. I'd be all over one of those.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If they made a stainless hunter in .358 win, I would try one for sure.

20" bbl and open sights would make for a slick brush rifle...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I absolutely love the 6.5x55 Swede. I have a Ruger #1 in that chambering that shoots well. I wanted a Stainless bolt gun in the Swede. I tried for a while to find a NH SS M70 with no luck. Then I saw this Browning White Gold Medallion A-Bolt on GB. It is a special edition, only 50 were made. I paid a lot for it and have a McMillan Browning Classic Edge stock coming for it. I bought some Stainless Stalker bottom metal to tone down the BLING! All and all I will have too much money in it, but know something, I'm 64 freaking years old and not getting any younger. I'm going to have what I want as best I can. The rifle shoots very well. With the Edge stock, Leu VX-2 3x9x40 and Talley LW's, it will weigh around 7 pounds 6 ounces.

Last edited by rj308; 09/19/12.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rj308
I absolutely love the 6.5x55 Swede. I have a Ruger #1 in that chambering that shoots well. I wanted a Stainless bolt gun in the Swede. I tried for a while to find a NH SS M70 with no luck. Then I saw this Browning White Gold Medallion A-Bolt on GB. It is a special edition, only 50 were made. I paid a lot for it and have a McMillan Browning Classic Edge stock coming for it. I bought some Stainless Stalker bottom metal to tone down the BLING! All and all I will have too much money in it, but know something, I'm 64 freaking years old and not getting any younger. I'm going to have what I want as best I can. The rifle shoots very well. With the Edge stock, Leu VX-2 3x9x40 and Talley LW's, it will weigh around 7 pounds 6 ounces.

I like your attitude, sir!

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
U
U
rj308, do you still have that white gold medallion 6.5x55 Swede?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had a browning citori featherweight with a plated or something receiver. Plating started tarnishing. Browning didn’t care. Sold it. I have a maple stocked x-bolt I inherited that may be the most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Really... I do not know of any that were not stupid accurate - I currently own 4 and have had 3 others. How many do you own or have shot????

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I give a fu ck about Browning, They should have given 100 percent refunds for their salt-wood guns from the 60s. I had 2 of them, and I'm still pissed at their lack of responsibility for their fu ckup.

Last edited by Wrapids; 07/02/23.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a X Bolt in 308, which was a Shot Show special having fiber optic sights.

Also have an X Bolt in 375 HH.

I think they are well made guns.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I own 3 total 2 X-bolts and 1 A-bolt. Have owned several others. I like them all. Quality rifles for the most part that almost always shoot well. 2 negatives are 1 of my synthetic stocks is getting sticky. Browning will replace it but its a buckmark camo stock and I would most likely have to settle for a black replacement. The other is the X-bolt mags are plastic and feel cheap although I have not had a single feeding issue. I'm more than sure you would be satisfied with a Browning rifle.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Seems like Brownings are the go-to rifles for most of my Alabama deer hunting buddies. It seems to be a cult following!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I bought a medallion in 300 win mag. Gun is beautiful and shoots great. I actually think they are pretty good. Is it model 70 good, hardly. But I wouldn't hesitate to grab one. The only thing I don't like is the x bolts 8 screws for a scope base. Don't know why, but that's odd. Love the bolt lock release button on the bolt handle and the quick release mag though. In that style of rifle I think it's better than tikka. But that's just my opinion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree that he gaudy shiny stocks are an abomination. My Citori is rust prone. Love my 358 BLR, all but the trigger. Shot my BPS until it flat wore out. The redheads Abolt shoots just fine.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My A bolt 2 is my favorite rifle to carry. It is compact with a great trigger and shoots very well. We just picked up an A-bolt3 for my future son in law. It has the improved recoil pad of the X-bolt and a similarly crisp trigger of mine. My A bolt mag clips into the floor plate which some hate but I love. The AB3 is simple detachable.

If giving any negatives I would point to my AB2. First, the factory synthetic stock was great to hold and carry but was prone to making barrel contact and felt recoil was high for the given round. Replacing with a Bell and Carlson cured all ills and made it a consistent and pleasant shooting tack driver.

The one remaining item on mine is the ridiculously shiny bolt shroud. No idea why anyone would design such a dumb feature in a hunting rifle. Minor annoyance.

Overall Love the Browning rifles. Some in salty sea environments complain about the trigger mechanisms failing but I have never experienced that. The bolt is supposedly over complicated but again.....I can't tell.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
U
U
If anyone has a a-bolt white gold medallion that they want to sell let me know I’m always in the market. 👍

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Brownings are perfect for someone who just wants to buy a rifle and shoot it as is. They are good rifles.

700s are for those who can't help themselves and have to add a bunch of aftermarket pieces to their gun and show off the pics of the end result.

C
C
I have a NIB X bolt hunter in 7mm Mag. Won on a gun ticket and can't decide if I want to see if it shoots or try and unload it. Wasn't really on my list of guns to obtain but hey it was "free."

I'd really like a 7 PRC in a Fierce or something along those lines.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by cm9702
I have a NIB X bolt hunter in 7mm Mag. Won on a gun ticket and can't decide if I want to see if it shoots or try and unload it. Wasn't really on my list of guns to obtain but hey it was "free."

I’ve read about all the Fierce problems. One guy got “rifle” that hadn’t been rifled. A 7mm smooth bore

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by cm9702

I’ve read about all the Fierce problems. One guy got “rifle” that hadn’t been rifled. A 7mm smooth bore

Lol!

Maybe that X-Bolt 7 Mag with some Barnes TTSX is a better option.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I am a big fan of my Browning X Bolts. All the A bolts I have shot have been great too. I would 100% own more of them in a heartbeat but they never come up for sale used. That right there ought to tell ya something about how happy their owners are with them. The same can't be said about other guns that always make appearances in the classified section.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 48 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,100
Posts18,502,101
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.