Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#686922 12/27/05
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Does anyone know what was changed on the 2nd series of Scirocco? Has anyone shot them to see if accuracy improved? Thanks.

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I too would like to know.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From Swift Bullet Company's website:

"Now, with the introduction of the NEXT GENERATION�Scirocco II, the bar goes up again. Scirocco II has exactly the same profile, both inside and out. All load data and bullet specifications remain the same as the original. The difference is in the manufacturing process, technology and metallurgy, which allows for greater accuracy and dramatic advancement in terminal performance � at any range � at any velocity, from 1700 to 3300+ fps.

Nothing out performs a Scirocco II. A standard by which all others are measured.
"" Unquote

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hmmm, can't wait to find out more!

Huntr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LOL! Lots of [email]Shi@'s[/email] and giggles, that's for sure!

IC B2

JBD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried the originals in various 7mm and .30 cal rifles and could never get really good accuracy from any rifle I tried them in. Went to Accubonds with much better results.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the Scirocco II is supposed to be a much more accurate bullet than the original. I know of a few mulies who didnt like a 140 gr Scirocco out of my 7mag in Idaho.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I like the weights offered compared to the Accubonds in 270 with a 130 grain. The Accubonds are doing everything I`d ask but the newly designed Scirocco has my interest.

P
Pat Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I had great accuracy & performance in both my 7 STW & .300 RUM with several weights of both. Blew the opposite side out of a doe @ maybe 20 yards a few years back with the STW, made the "shotgun" swing & shoot on her, dead before she hit the dirt. Maybe 1.5" exit.

With the RUM, made a good shot @ a walking doe, 320 yds. lasered, she went about 20 yards, just did not know she was dead. The first without a doubt passed through, the long shot passed through also, about a $0.50 exit hole.

Maybe they can make them better...???

Pat

Cheap things are not good, good things are not cheap.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just sent them an email asking for more clarification on "what is new".

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
They claim to be redsigned and call them Scirocco II. I went to thier site and didn`t understand the differences. All copper jacket, is this it??

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The long bullets are trouble in many rifles....they take up powder space. Also many barrels cannot stabalize these things. My Sakos can't. Same with the Barnes XXX. What good is a BC of .600 if you can't pack any powder behind it??? These new bullets it seems, are made for the RUM's/STW/Weatherby type rifles....even then I have questions???????? Regards, Rick.

John Deere tractors and Sako rifles.....doesn't get any better.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just received this from Swift via email:

Scirocco II press release,

Swift Announces the �Next Generation��Scirocco II�

The Scirocco, announced in 1999, is one of the greatest innovations in hunting

bullets ever. Driven by determination and ingenuity, the folks at Swift created a product

with superior exterior ballistics and unparalleled terminal performance. Old-line bullet

companies rushed to follow Swift�s lead with attempts to duplicate the performance of

the original Scirocco.

Just as life is a process of continual improvement, the people at Swift

never accept the status quo, sign on to conventional wisdom or rest on their laurels. At

Swift, a desire to make the best possible bullet is the motivating force behind invention.

Now, Swift raises the bar even higher. The result is the �Next Generation��Scirocco II�. This new bullet retains the same sleek profile in and out. Load data remains exactly the same. Different is the overall performance with greater accuracy and dramatically advanced terminal expansion, shock and penetration. Nothing is as brutally tough with such a streamlined shape. Nothing out-performs a Scirocco II across an extreme range of velocities from 1700 to 3300 feet-per-second and more.
Time and experience pointed the way to dramatic advancements made possible with the latest technology, metallurgy and refined manufacturing process. The Scirocco II is better than anything out there, better than anything before. Touch and feel the difference, see the svelte finish and sharp lines. Witness the awesome advancement in performance.

I replied asking for more information such as what bullet tests have been done to come the original to the new bullet. Comparisons between other manufacturers bonded bullets. Whether they had addressed the fouling problem with better metalurgy. Whether they had addressed the so called "pancaking" expansion.

Anyway, the press release didn't do much for me...we will see what information we get on my other questions.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
We`ll have to wait and see.............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well if it makes you feel any better, it out penetrates the Accubond.....with ease.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Accuracy improvement was what I was hoping for. If it would shoot with an Accubond it would make me feel better, that would be a serious improvement.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tim , actually, I agree, but I also think a whole bunch of us, including me, that's why I say it, are Nosler whor.....s and frankly, my 150 Scirocco totally out performed my 140 Accubond, but what do I play with, Accubonds. I am seriously evaluating Scirocco's as I really believe they are a much better bullet than the Accubond. The Hornady Interbond, and the Scirocco in my opinion, are the best of the current bonded bullets. But, because a whole bunch of us, including me, were raised on Nosler partitions, etc, we, in my opinion, continue to give Nosler a pass, when, quite frankly, They dont deserve it. Think about it, the accubond is about (but not quite) as good as the partition...............wooptie do, big deal. Hell, I 'll shoot the partition anyday, but dont impress me with a wannabe when if all of us would bite our alliance pride, the Hornady Interbond, and the SWift Scirocco are the true new bonded bullets. Frankly, Accubonds I am not impressed with. Why? Because , get real, they cant perform as good as the partition, and data after data says they are the poorest performing of the so called new bonded bullets. Nosler only came out with them because the ballistic tip has basically proven to be a whimp, in many calibers. Blows up, inconsistant, etc.

Scirocco is a quality bullet, period.

I love the guys that show you how wide they mushroom, hello, that is a good feature, expends a whole bunch on energy in the animal, but, surprise, unlike the accubond, market hype, BS from Nosler, actually exits the animal.

You really want to know why Scirocco isnt as popular as Accubonds., hey, they cost more, and they should, because they are light year's better than the puny Accubond.

There, I said it. period.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AD; I disagree with your assessment of the Scirocco if you are talking about the original design. I didn't like the way they turned completely inside out, even at relatively moderate velocities. I shot a moose with a 180 out of the 30-06, muzzle velocity was 2820. I shot the moose on the point of the shoulder since his presentation was quartering toward me. That moose was about 150 yards away, and the Scirocco was completely turned inside out when I recovered it from his liver. I weighed a mere 80 grains and a lot of the lead core was wiped off the jacket. True, it broke bone, but I did not care for the result, and sold off the rest of the Sciroccos I had. Maybe the new second generation stuff is better, but I'll have to try them to find out. In the meantime, I'll stick to past proven designs thank you. Eagleye.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Eagleye, is that by chance a partition? Because I have fallen back to them. They are proven and I know what to expect from them.

I dont think any of the bonded bullets can be thought of as excellent Elk medicine, rather, they are excellent deer bullets.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here is a .25 cal 110gr AB I recovered in the offside hide of a whitetail buck. The shot was just under 100 yards from my 25-06 going an est 3200+ fps from the muzzle. Bullet weighed 62.6gr; the hole in the offside ribcage was as big or bigger than a quarter...i.e. I think the bullet lost some of it's petals between there and the hide, but I didn't search real hard for any. Bullet entered front of the shoulder on a quartering towards shot, breaking the shoulder, and was found about 7-8" behind the offside shoulder. Of the 8 animals I've killed with this combo, this is the only one that didn't passthrough completely (2 hogs, 2 mature bucks, 4 does, and 1 spike).

I think it did pretty darn good.

[Linked Image]

I hate rude behavior in a man....won't tolerate it.

-Captain Woodrow F. Call
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (160user, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 3,230 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,630
Posts18,533,199
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.