Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Has anyone ever removed their forcing cone one their shotgun......what were the results
BB

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lengthening the forcing cones on a shotgun is the number one thing you can do to improve performance. Not only does it help hold the shot string together for a more uniform pattern, it helps reduce recoil.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What does it do to the chrome-lined barrel?

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The proper question would be... "What kind of damage would you sustain trying this to a chrome lined barrel"? grin

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Let me modify my question has any one did this themselves. And how did they do it and what success.
Thanks
BB

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You can buy the reamers and do it yourself. They cost quite a bit more than what a good 'smith would charge to do the work for you, not to mention he'll have experience and you don't. Some barrels will become very thin after the removal and possibly become unsafe.Some recoil reduction will probably be realized, and patterns will probably become "tighter", although maybe not better.
It is definately something best left to those with experience.
Good Luck,
Rick

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This why I quit posting here people don't realize my experiance, so , good by to all and be safe.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Huh?

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, huh?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bearbeater
This why I quit posting here people don't realize my experiance, so , good by to all and be safe.

Perhaps you won't have such difficulty if you post your resume first and then your question.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
And how did they do it ....

So, you need to ask the question, then get upset at the answers?

How many ways do you think there are to do it? Sandpaper? Rat tail file maybe?

As was explained, the proper tooling would cost you more than just paying somebody to do it, and do it right. By asking the question, I'm going to assume that you don't have the proper tooling, so agree that it would be easier, cheaper, and safer (win, win, win) to just let somebody else do it.

Of course, I don't realize your experience either... whistle

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Question: If no forcing cone is better, why doesn't one of the major makers market such a barrel. It is certainly easier to make a barrel with a single dia. bore (ignoring choke). IMHO it's just more snake oil. If it's not, what is the explanation
for it's superiority? And lowered recoil ain't it unless you are considering that the increased gas leakage around the wad reduces muzzle velocity enough to make a difference.

RAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You don't actually remove the forcing cone, but you knew that. Some folks refer to it as "removing the forcing cone". It is a misnomer. You only remove enough to reduce the angle making the transition from chamber to bore less abrupt which (a) reduces the tendency for the shot to spill and become deformed, which results in blown patterns, and (B), because the transition is smooth and less dramatic, less energy is needed to make the move, and we all know that less expended energy equals less recoil. Which is certainly not "snake oil". And, look at any modern trap gun, their forcing cones are what?

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RAN
Question: If no forcing cone is better, why doesn't one of the major makers market such a barrel. It is certainly easier to make a barrel with a single dia. bore (ignoring choke). IMHO it's just more snake oil. If it's not, what is the explanation
for it's superiority? And lowered recoil ain't it unless you are considering that the increased gas leakage around the wad reduces muzzle velocity enough to make a difference.

RAN

You really don't understand the concept at all, do you?

Malm summed it up pretty well.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RAN
Question: If no forcing cone is better, why doesn't one of the major makers market such a barrel. It is certainly easier to make a barrel with a single dia. bore (ignoring choke).

As Malm tried to explain, "removing" isn't quite accurate. Nor is having "no forcing cone" very practical or efficient.

Instead of "removing", substitute the word "lengthening". You are reducing the angle or abruptness of the step down, making it a more gradual transition.

...barrel with a single dia. bore (ignoring choke).

Do you also propose that a choke should be a sudden constriction, or do you see the benefit of a more gradual transition from bore diameter down to the choke constriction? And you can see that you don't get gas leakage around the wad before you get to the choke right?

Just move that whole concept back a couple feet and you have the forcing cone.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Isn't removing the forcing cone pretty much a back bored barrel.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by erich
Isn't removing the forcing cone pretty much a back bored barrel.

No. A back bored barrel is one who's bore is reamed oversize.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I "smoothed" the forcing cones on a Winchester Model 23 sxs and found that its patterns were a bit better, at least by comparing 30" shot circles at 25 yards with the same shotshells. Felt recoil was about the same I guess, difficult to tell. For waterfowl with steel shot I think its a good thing to do.

A Beretta rep once told me that shooting 2 3/4" shells in a 3" chamber gives a similar result to lengthening the forcing cones.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stantdm
A Beretta rep once told me that shooting 2 3/4" shells in a 3" chamber gives a similar result to lengthening the forcing cones.

Goes to show that gun reps don't always know what they are talking about. grin

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by stantdm

"Freebore" ain't the same as a properly contoured forcing cone.

But when marketing to the uninformed masses, I guess the rep's line makes a good sound bite. whistle

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,515
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.