Print Thread
Hop To
R
rnovi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
So I'm thinking of adding another set of binocular to the collection. I've been using 10x42 Leica Ultravid HD's and they are simply phenomenal glass. As long as I'm not walking miles and miles they are awesome. Glassing from the truck in SA or from the beach in Kodiak looking for deer, or in the Texas blind they are without a doubt my go-to bins.

In Africa though, heading out on a few longer stalks I found myself swapping the heavy 10x42's with a set of 8x33's Minox's my wife was using. They were just so much easier to work with on a stalk and the wider field of view was quite nice as we stalked closer and closer.

The 8x33's were great and lot easier to use on a stalk. And now I'm thinking, would something truly pocketable be just that much better for stalking?

So, what's the word on 8x20's vs. 8x32's? Pro's cons?

Hunt Africa while you can
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
8X32 are not compact binoculars. If you want compacts, get the Leica 8X20 Ultravids and you won't be sorry.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Throw in the Nikon 8x20 Premiers, image quality is second to none and cheaper to boot!!! I just don't get along with that particular format!!! Would much rather carry an 8x32!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rnovi,

Recently I unsuccessfully searched for a 8X monocular. Then I started comparing compacts. Since I don't mind spending a little or a lot, but love a bargain I settled on some Alpen Wings ED 8X20. Eye relief is at least 15mm. During the search I found I need at least that much. The eyecups twist out and stop at two places for non-eyeglass wearers. They were less than $150 and come with a neck strap that I will never use. They weigh 7.8 ounces on my postal scale.

They don't come with lens covers and the soft case was too large. I found a perfect fit hard case at Walmart for about $10. It is very easy to open since it is zippered on three sides and keeps the binos clean. I carry them horizontally on my belt; which embarrasses Sue. She will get used to it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Movi, I've run nothing but 8x30/32 glass for 25 years. I've never felt the need for more. Currently using an 8x32 Leica Ultravid. 32mm's are mid-sized, not compacts as Shrapnel points out.

I also have 8x20 compacts, but I really don't consider them a good all-around hunting bin.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ringman
rnovi,

Recently I unsuccessfully searched for a 8X monocular. Then I started comparing compacts. Since I don't mind spending a little or a lot, but love a bargain I settled on some Alpen Wings ED 8X20. Eye relief is at least 15mm. During the search I found I need at least that much. The eyecups twist out and stop at two places for non-eyeglass wearers. They were less than $150 and come with a neck strap that I will never use. They weigh 7.8 ounces on my postal scale.

They don't come with lens covers and the soft case was too large. I found a perfect fit hard case at Walmart for about $10. It is very easy to open since it is zippered on three sides and keeps the binos clean. I carry them horizontally on my belt; which embarrasses Sue. She will get used to it.

Ringman:

I am thinking from some of your previous views on optics, and
how off they may be, a coke bottle may be just right for you
on your search for a monocular.
Just a bit cloudy like the alpen, but what is important is
what is in between the eyes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rnovi,

I forgot to mention they are water proof.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Alpen makes some great paper-weights..

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I don't think an 8x32 bino is considered a compact more mid-size, that being said I have used many high grade mid-size (8x32, 10x32)and compact bino's (8x25, 10x25) extensively over the years and have settled in recent years with the mid-size catagory of bino as they offer nice wide FOV's very good light gathering capability and also light manageable weight. The little compacts are nice to pack around but really don't compare optically to mid-size bino's...............Good luck.........Hb

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Image quality on my 8x20 Swarovskis is excellent. Where they fall behind is at low light. In Africa, how much hunting would you be doing at the ends of the day? (I don't know...never been there, but am planning a 2013 trip...)

For pronghorn, the 8x20s are superb, but that's all daylight hunting. Africa...you got me.

IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Brad
Movi, I've run nothing but 8x30/32 glass for 25 years. I've never felt the need for more. Currently using an 8x32 Leica Ultravid. 32mm's are mid-sized, not compacts as Shrapnel points out.

I also have 8x20 compacts, but I really don't consider them a good all-around hunting bin.

+1 In my experience the compacts don't have the light gathering ability for hunting, I sold my Leica compacts and put the money towards a set of Ultravids in 8x32, could not be happier. Easy to carry and for my needs not lacking in magnification.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I hunt in the GA woods, and for most applications I find myself leaving my Zeiss Victory 8x42 binocs in camp and using a Vortex viper 6x32, more compact and lighter, does what I need it to do.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
My choice in binos are Swaro 10x42 EL, Leica Ultravid 8x32 and 8x20. The big glass get all the sheep and grizzly hunting, and some of the mule deer and black bear time. The mid sized Ultravids get the the rest of my hunting. That includes elk, whitetails, some mule deer and blackbear. They are what I took to Africa bowhunting a few years ago. Great hunting glasses as many have already mentioned.

The small 8x20 Ultravids are neat glass. My wife and I carry them on hikes during broad daylight hours. I never hunt with them as they just don't have it for me for that purpose. That said when I was young and poor, my only binos were a pair of Zeiss 10x25 compacts. I shot a bighorn, mt goat, many elk, deer, antelope, bears, a moose and caribou with my bow when using them. It can be done, but the 8x32 are much better. Good luck!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 47 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,765
Posts18,515,337
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.