Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Hoz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Hi guys,

I am looking for a good handheld GPS to use on out of state hunts. Stands are set on a lease we have and would like to punch them in to the GPS to find them when we go back later this year. User friendly a big plus. Thanks for any info

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The inexpensive Garmin E-Trex H will do all of that, just without maps on the unit itself, and is very easy to use. I think you can find one new for $80 or so, and used for $50 easily.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
+1 E-Trex perfect for getting you back to where you've been. So user friendly I can use it.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
+1 on the Etrex H.

Use real maps if you need mapping.

You should be using all three together anyway, compass, map and GPS.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The E-Trex H is an amazing value. I have used one for several years.

I did buy a Fore Trax this year to try. Mostly it uses AAA batteries and I am trying to standardize on one size. It seems to be fine as well and vey LW.

IC B2

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Pricey, but loaded with features.
Used my Garmin Oregon 550T extensively on our 5 day off trail fly fishing trip in the Winds. Performed beautifully.

H
Hoz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks fellas,

I would like the map feature. I appreciate your input

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I used the Etrex Legend for several years on a 5000 acre lease. At the time Google Earth required a $20 paid subscription and I gladly partook. I logged in all my stand locations, other points of interest, even marked trails I had made, then uploaded that to Google Earth. Seems that feature is now free with GE. Doing that gives an incredible perspective to the land and game movement. FWIW

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have one of the older garmin etrex legends that i use for hunting. I bought it as a package deal and it came with an instructional video, cables to hook it to your computer, and the map program to put the maps on the gps. I'm almost positive you can still buy them in packages like that and they are worth it in my opinion.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I would offer up the DeLorme PN60. Not the cheapest. But can download maps for any of the States as part of the purchase price (Topo 9 software). If you think you might want a PLB, can be hooked up with a SPOT.

Two years ago, there were three different GPS units in our elk camp. The PN60 got the most use and was considered the easiest to use. Not familiar with the Etrex, so can not comment/compare functionality and ease of use.

Besides F.S. roads and tracks, the Topo9 maps have some really obscure foot trails (goat paths) as well. I followed one path last year that was barely visible in places, but, clearly laid out on the GPS.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Adding my $0.02. I'd stick with Garmin. New units are pricy but they have all the easy to use features and more like touchscreens. Older units can be found for not too much if you are a little patient. I noticed on my local Seattle CL a couple of etrex's for $40. I have a 76c that uses a USB cable and memory card which really makes data management easier. I paid $35 used for mine. Runs for a surprisingly long time on two aa's. Quickest, best satellite reception out of a rino530 and summit. I don't think the color screen is required, but it is nice. I'm with elkhunter241 in that if you need a map, carry one! The biggest screen is still small. I do find the mapping features on a GPS helpful for easy distance estimating and track logging.
BIG PLUS is you can download excellent open source maps from free sources like www.gpsfiledepot.com. I found them to be more than adequate.
I wouldn't feel handicapped with any GPS. I used an old waterproof Magellan Tracker for a long time. Bought it for a $1.50 and it provided reliable, accurate location information. Combined with a paper map (or plugged into a laptop in the Suburban) it was more than adequate.
You won't regret getting a new top of the line GPS because the touch screens and layers have really changed the game. But any GPS that records waypoints will get you in out of the field.
Good luck this year!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Garmin Oregon series for me. I've used mine for several years now and no complaints. Buddy just bought one too, used it this past week, and loves it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I ordered a Garmin Oregon 550 and should have it this week. This after 2 days of solid studying. I also liked the 62sc but the 550 was more compact and I thought it would fit in my fanny pack more conveniently. Just for redundancy, I will pick up the 62sc next year. I haven't kept up with GPS's much but after getting back from Glacier a week or two ago, I decided my antique original E-trex was due to be retired. I was online a bit ago looking at what maps are available for it.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I purchased a Garmin Montana 600 a few months ago. Sure it's a handful, but it has a large responsive screen that you can see in bright daylight and can use with gloves. Batteries last a good long time. And, oh yeah, you can dowload the plat map from huntinggpsmaps.com from the computer.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've stuck Fl Topo and MT Topo - Public Land 2012 on my 550, and downloaded Uttopo 2011 and Wytopo 2011 to my pc for future use.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by elkhunter_241
+1 on the Etrex H.

Use real maps if you need mapping.

You should be using all three together anyway, compass, map and GPS.

Since the digital map junkies have overtaken this thread, this needs to be read, and re-read, again.

If you think a digital map is a substitute for a paper one, then you don't need to be giving people advice on land navigation or related tools. Just sayin'.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have used an older ETrex for years and never had a problem until last week. I marked two waypoints that ended up marking over a half mile off the desired point. I was in the trees both times when I marked the waypoints, but the GPS indicated it was accurate to 60 feet. YMMV

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Anothre vote for the DeLorme pn-60. It is the best gps I have owned and it is pretty easy on batteries.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
From another thread,

Originally Posted by smokepole
Do you want or need one with graphics, maps, etc., or just numbers? If the latter, look at a Garmin Foretrex 401. It's about the most compact, lightest unit you can get with a high-sensitivity receiver that will work under a canopy in the woods. You can wear it on your wrist like a watch. Also has an e-compass and altimeter. Combine it with customized maps (you can print them at REI) with the lat/lon grid lines and it's a really good system.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have tried using the iPhone with numerous Apps with lackluster results until recently. I found an App called Gaia GPS that works very well. It costs $12 but it is well worth the money IMO. Since the iPhone has a great screen, it is better than many high-dollar GPS units. You can pre-load maps of the area you are going and know where you are on the map.

The challenge is keeping the iPhone charged. I work around that with a little charger that uses AA batteries. Also, if you switch the phone to Airplane mode, that tunes off GPS, so don't do that, but there are other ways to save battery.

I use the phone as a camera, video camera, alarm, light, notes, communication device (if service is available), and now GPS. That means less stuff in my bag.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,291
Posts18,525,732
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.