Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#6873661 09/14/12
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anybody got one? I saw them in a magazine today and thought this might be an awesome way to hunt open fields where you normally can't hide. I was also thinking you open it to cover three sides and the side you leave open is the downwind side you least expect deer to come from. I thought this would be awesome for using a challenger buck decoy in bow or for a late season muzzleloader hunt. Oh yeah, good for savvy old gobblers too?

GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Reminds me of the time... on the advice of my outfitter buddy... to take a cheap closet door mirror out on the prairie to get close to antelope. The buck is supposed to see his image and come running to the challenge.

After hauling the mirror into the middle of the prairie and then every animal ran to the next unit, i suddenly thought... wonder what this looks like.

Kent

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think the mirrors reflect the ground up and not nearby animals. I could certainly see that backfiring badly except in the case of a gobbler.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've seen them before but I would think that the glare would bust you quite quickly. I'm not sold. I'm thinking a big piece of cardboard and some stakes would work better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting idea.

Would probably work in some instances....

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_Reloader
I think the mirrors reflect the ground up and not nearby animals. I could certainly see that backfiring badly except in the case of a gobbler.

I saw these at the Eastern Outdoors Show this year. The blind looks like a large cupcake batter cup, the sides angle down at about ~ 15 or 20 degrees so the reflection shown is of the ground out to about 10-15 feet from the blind. I thought the blind blended well, but then you had this big pumpkin of contrast hovering about three feet off the ground in the center of the blind. I don't think you turn your head much without a serious give away.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have been thinking hard about one of these, as I have used a hunk of camo burlap, and some cut sticks, to shoot deer , both bow and gun, also have used a bat wing umbrella, as a blind. you still need to wear cammo and face paint, or mask, got to use the paint tho, just cool! so Im thinking this should work well too, tho alot more $$$

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I guess I'm not getting what the hovering contrast three feet up from the center of the blind is? I am guessing it's the top edge when what is below does also match what is above? It definitely looked better in some scenarios than others. I am 6'3" and that worries me a bit. I am guessing I am on my knees or butt. That's not a big deal though. I can see where you would want your face to match the pattern for sure. Snow would be an easy one. Or grass and using a ghillie. Others would be harder to mimic and I assumed you would need to look with you eyes and not your head.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting the video!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought one last year and BEFORE I used it, the glue to the mirror panels was coming loose and the panels were unraveling.
I re-glued with gorilla glue and it seems ok now.
It is expensive for what you get and frankly, not well made.
I bought the extender panels for mine.

I actually don't trust the mirror panels and fear that glare will give me away so I'm throwing camo cloth over mine to calm ME down?
Note:
I haven't used mine yet, so I have NO opinion if this blind is effective. The opposite side of the blind is a camo pattern.
I plan to use this blind as, take IN, take OUT each time I hunt and I want to stay mobile with it. I won't leave this one in the woods.
I hunt differently than most in that my hunting time is very limited so when I do go, I want to have fun.
SO-
I hunt places where I like and feel comfortable 1st and I couldn't care less if I get a deer... until gun season. THEN, I'm serious. lol.
For archery season, I am at peace and relaxed in my mindset before all else. I'm out there to enjoy the fall.

Last edited by Two503000; 09/18/12.

Phil
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I agree, I too would be afraid of the glare busting me. It looks like it is set up to angle any glare toward the ground however. I guess keep us posted on the real world application and if you have any issues.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,288
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.