-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is to no one in particular but I found this thread very interesting due to the experience represented here. I did not find JJH's comments incinderary as it's difficult to fully communicate with words only--he was trying to make and emphasize a point.

I'm by no means an expert having been to Africa for hunting only once but it seems to me it boils down to percentages which a lot of things in life do. The point seems to be not what can a particular cartridge do but can it do it every time (or you pick your number).

I've made my way up the cartridge latter and now I'm on my way down again for hunting in NA but I would always listen to the voice of experience.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I agree with everything you say in your post John, but I asked Craig specifically on this incident and he was quite specific in that he did not feel the 06 would have penetrated like the 375. I love my 06s, but why bother taking one to Africa when I have a variety of 300s to choose from?

Jorge, do you feel a 300 mag would have penetrated significantly more than a 30-06?
I might also point out that Boddington's opinions have changed over the years, on elk rifles in particular.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jorge,

I've shot quite a few big game animals with bullets of the same designed from both the .30-06 and .375. The bullets I have the most experience with in each cartridge are the 200-grain Nosler Partition in the .30-06 and the 300-grain Partition in the .375. If there's any difference in how deeply they penetrate I can't see it--except to perhaps give a slight edge to the 200 Partition.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I really can't say. All I can go on is my own limited experience and what knowledgeable guys like Craig and Mule Deer tell us and all I can tell you is there is a noticeable difference in what I have observed between an 06 and a 300 Weatherby. As to John's comment on the penetration of a 200gr 06 v a 300gr 375, all I can say is if John says so, it's good enough for me.

I'm going to see Craig in a few months and I'll make it a point to bring up this very topic and specifically his kudu story. j

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have never took a texas heart shot, so I cant say for certain either. However, I would suspect a 30-06 would penetrate deeper given like bullets and range, but the 300 would do more damage.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In penetration test done by Randy Garrett of Garrett Cartridges,the 300 grain Nosler Protected Point for the 45-70 at 2150 fps out penetrated the 300 grain Nosler out of the .375 H&H Magnum.

Jayco

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by LT_DAN
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by LT_DAN

a friend of mine is a pro game culler for European venison export. between two culler's they took 112 blue wildebeest in one night in 2011 with 25-06.

.....Let me guess. He doesn't recommend it though.

I will ask him

He does not recommend it. he said to keep in mind all the animals that are taken in a cull for venison, are ALL head shots. he said for a foreign hunter that is most probably on a time limit, he would recommend nothing less than 30 caliber for an across the board plains game safari. with perfect shot placement the 6,5 mm would be enough most of the time. the question thus is are you satisfied with "... most of the time". if you are, then use the 6,5 for your safari. personally I love the 6mm's and the 6,5's, but again for a general plains game hunt with various animals available at short and long distances, I simply think there are better choices. I cant put it any simpler than this

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by logcutter
In penetration test done by Randy Garrett of Garrett Cartridges,the 300 grain Nosler Protected Point for the 45-70 at 2150 fps out penetrated the 300 grain Nosler out of the .375 H&H Magnum.

Jayco

The Garrett "tests" were let's just say optimized for the 45/70 and the fact two different bullts were used pretty much tells it all. At 2150 fps, what weight bullet was he using?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I don't see how the test could be optimized for the 45-70 when both the 45-70 and .375 H&H were shot into wet newsprint both using a 300 grain Nosler Partition,one a FP made for the 45-70 and the other,factory .375 H&H ammunition.

You might e-mail Randy and ask him about his test although he just sold Garrett Cartridges to Ashley Emerson.

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your Sig line is hilarious.

IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
If a 200 grain 30-06 and a 300 grain .375 will penetrate about equally, it would not surprise me if a similarly constructed 160 grain 6.5 would penetrate equally as well. The sectional density is about the same.

In the old days they didn't have premium bullet construction so they made up for it with moderate velocities to hold bullets together. The 160 grain bullet in the 6.5x54 and the 220 grain bullet in the 30-06 both went about 2400 fps and the muzzle and the .375 was only a shade faster.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not at all convinced that the discussion based solely on penetration is the only consideration. Even if both cause the death of the animal, the one that bleeds you will find easily the one without a blood trail us up for grabs between the hunter and every starving predator in the bush.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Do your hunters ever shoot something that just falls over dead?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What fun is that?

Though there is no scientific evidence to back it, African game just seems tougher to put down. Not every time, there are plenty of bang flops, but then there are relatively good shots that not only don't anchor the animal, but they haul butt towards parts unknown and a long tracking job starts.

That then feeds the obsession for bigger guns and tougher bullets.

One of these days we are going to get you to part with some of that west Texas oil money you've been hoarding and check it out in person. grin

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ha! I'll go with you next time, how's that? I'm really, really wanting to go, no kdding.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll hold you to you word!!!!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm just being curious: when two calibers, like the 06 and the 375 both show similar results in penetration, and to a very large extent same for the 9.3, why is it then that the 375 is still considered the entry level caliber for DG hunting in most African countries?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Precisely, there's a message there....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Because the people that come from where the 06 was made did not make the rules, but the people who came from where the H & H was made did?

As mentioned, African game doe seem to sell themselves more dearly than something that has been eating from the corner of your crop for the last 5 years. Is bigger better? Probably. Does that mean a smaller one will not do the job? Doubtful. We could also pose if it would be more effective to hunt buffalo with something that has a lanyard, and the answer would be yes, but that doesn�t necessarily make it our first choice.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The British did not set the minimum cartridge size for DG

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 40 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,176
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.