Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
You could kill a Rhino... grin

I would shoot a moose with mine at 72 ft/lbs...

LOL Winnie, yeah but how ya gonna hold still enough to get an arrow in a Rhino or some of the other dangerous game from DW444's chart above eek shocked specially standing there on the ground lookin at 'em. eek

Gunner

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't say I could... you can. I'm a whimp. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
its not legal for thick skinned DG in southern Africa

ball park avg 80lb draw with 800gr arrow is the minimum depending on the country.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn.....

If your slinging nearly 500 grains at 311fps you is all set and then some, provided ya hit the target!

I shoot a 10 year old Darton, does great for me and I shoot it well. However, every time I go into an archery shop and pick up a new bow and send a few arrows down range, I almost convince myself I need a new one!

It's worse than rifles.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JJ Hack,

What don't ya like about Slicktricks? I was thinking of trying them this year?

What heads do you shoot?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My statement was not that he stop using slicktricks, but that is is not using them and should be.

They are all I use, they are the best game in town in my opinion.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't bought a new bow since Matthews came out with the Switchback. Is this a sign of old age or is my bow a "classic"?
smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I didn't say I could... you can. I'm a whimp. grin

Ya aint no whimp Winnie, yer a young buck slap full of P&V. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Damn.....

If your slinging nearly 500 grains at 311fps you is all set and then some, provided ya hit the target!

I shoot a 10 year old Darton, does great for me and I shoot it well. However, every time I go into an archery shop and pick up a new bow and send a few arrows down range, I almost convince myself I need a new one!

It's worse than rifles.

Thanks MM, and speaking of new bows, i've really wanted to learn to shoot long bow, but my dang elbows are double jointed and that string will cut hair on my forearm. cry laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by gunner500
Thanks everyone, and yes, the figures are correct, my arrows are the very stiff Easton AXIS 300's with the HIT tip and 125 grain G5 Magnum weigh exactly 489 grains. I fired 5 arrows through the chrono yesterday for an average of 311 fps.

The bow does have somewhat of a built in overdraw as the broadhead tips at full draw are at the rear of my left hand knuckles.

I remember the bow-shop done something to the bow when I first got it to get it as close as they could to a 31" draw.

I do know this combo flies through deer like a hot knife through butter, and I am happy with performance, just thought there may be some new tech out there being this set-up is 6 years old now.

Gunner

You guys think the Turbo Cam and extra draw length could be responsible for the bit of extra speed?

Your arrows all up minus vanes @ 31" would be 471.7gn. I am not saying you can't reach the speed because you could play with it to get the lbs up above 70 to reach it. But the stock bow not played with isn't going to reach that speed.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 MCH, IIRC the Turbo Cam was sposed to add around 10+ fps on it's own, and they did tweak my bow, it's draw weight is 76 lbs, and I dont remember the exact draw length they were able to get, but they made that difference up tweaking my release length.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not exactly related but worth a mention if your rather new to actually hunting. As a PH taking many bow hunters. I have seen my fair share of high draw bows and hunters so focused on speed they cannot actually hunt with the equipment they are using. Sitting in a blind watching the third attempt at getting the bow back while an animal is there 17 meters away. This is embarrassing to witness. The hunter while standing has the bow go above the head and then down to aim. Unfortunately this is not functional for hunting.

Stealth beats speed all day long. Have we forgotten this is a close range intimate event? 50 plus yard shots is something other then bow "hunting". Shooting long range like that completely removes the actual thrill of the bow hunting experience. It's suppose to be close range and prove the hunting skills of the hunter, not the shooting capability of new technology. But hey that's just me. Other folks do things differently of course. I feel sorry for them to be missing the boat on the real thrill of what bow hunting is. Nothing I would kill at 50 plus yards would ever match the hunting skill, success, and pride I feel for doing the same thing at 15 yards.

Can you kneel and sit back on your heels, then draw your bow straight back without having it go at all above level. Can you do this slow and smooth? If you can then that's great. However not many men I've hunted with can draw their bow this way smoothly. If you cannot then your not set up for hunting.

You see hunting is not standing and target shooting, but rather being able to draw slow smooth and silently with as minimal movement as possible. The game we bowhunt is close ......REAL close 10-25 yards. Real bow hunting ranges not the launch and pray 50-60 plus ranges.

I've killed everything I've shot at with 60-65 lbs which can be drawn very easy. Other hunters like Ted Nugent hunt with 55-60 lbs because it's such a close range hunt you must be very capable of a smooth easy effortless draw to remain unseen. This draw weight with a proper arrow has killed game for me to 2000 pounds ( bison and eland) Plenty in the 750-1000lb range too!

It's entirely up to the hunter to use what they like. I'm only suggesting that the fastest flattest bow made will not kill game when the effort to draw it exceeds the comfort and ease and stability that is needed.

Spot and stalk hunting with 25-30 let downs a day will begin to take its toll on your shoulders after a few days. People never let down when target shooting so they don't know how those joint ripping let downs effect them after countless times over a week of hunting.

I'm all for the heaviest arrows at the highest speeds. But I've seen 100% success with 55-65 lb bows and massive struggles with those exceeding 70 lbs. it has also become crystal clear that the wicked good killers are usually in that mid 60's range while the newer less experienced hunters are cranking up the power as much as they can, and using the lightest arrows that will ( kinda) work. Some handle it........ but very few!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for all the very informative and interesting information and some of your experiences while hunting JJ, I appreciate it greatly.

And yes Sir, I can draw my bow very slow and smooth at 90 degrees wink my 4 pins are set at 30, 40, 50, and 60 yards, I shot at 30 and 40 the day I started this thread and was averaging 3" groups [no wind] at 40 yards, that's really pretty good for me.

And agreed on another thing, my Grandpa told me when I was a boy that, "A slow hit beats the mortal hell out of a fast miss" laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
JJHACK,

I agree with most everything you said. However you must have never been a spot shooter or to a tournament. Target archery's "let down" a fair amount. However that is here nor there. The difference is in the cam that a target archer uses over the over kill cams hunters use. I will say the manufactures are making strides in better hunting cams.

I shoot a 71lb draw and I can pull it back repeatedly laying flat on the floor or any other position. A big culprit in giving guys the idea they can crank up the weight is inventing whisker biskets, and drop away containment style rest. Shooting these types you don't have to be "in control" which in turn means smooth. On my finger bow I shoot a flipper rest with plunger, on my release bow I shoot a launcher blade. If your shooting these types of rest you'll never pull your bow back shacking, struggling, canting, ect. I understand guys like the arrow containment and I am not saying they should switch to what works for me and what I suggest. But they should practice in the off season with a non-containment type rest so they can learn and see how smooth it will make them once hunting season comes around. It will also give them a realistic draw weight.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yessir MCH, 71/76 lbs is cake, the bow I hunted with 14 years before this Mathews was an old Oregon Deschutes round wheel bow set at 90 lbs, talk about a smooth quiet fast cadillac, that was it. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
71 maxed on my bow is pretty easy to draw. I had a few friends over who tried to draw my bow. I was afraid they were going to hurt themselves trying to draw it back. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is definately a skill and aquired ability to drawing a bow smoothly. I know big strong guys that will struggle to draw my bow, yet I must appear as a circus freak to them smoothly drawing back my puny 62 lbs.

Most any adult man can handle 55 lbs. maybe even 60lbs. The 65lb mark is the line in the sand for the majority to draw with the calm slow smoothness that is required. There are many who believe that 70 is easy and are fooling themselves. Not sure how 70lbs became the "industry standard". I think most manufactures make bows in 10lb increments. 50-60 60-70 My opinion has always been that it should have been 45-55 and 55-65. Bows will in almost all cases draw 2-3 lbs heavier then listed. That puts the 55-65lb draw up near 68.

I had a Martin Archery bow custom made for me. They made it 50-65lbs and it will draw just a hair over 68lbs. Although I have it set for 65. There is nothing wrong with shooting 70 plus lbs. I've had a number of guys shoot them. I had a couple brothers hunt with me that were using High country archery bows. They were both shooting 80lbs. Within our normal archery distances those two brothers shot through everything, but then so did the petite little woman golf Pro I took and she was shooting 45lbs. Everyone believes they have this smooth effortless draw. Then in the lodge we watch the videos of the hunt. Unconsciously the hunters draws the bow and you see the bow rise above his head on the draw. Sometimes the shot is still okay and other times that movement spooks game.

There is a huge difference between drawing the bow at or below shoulder level and drawing it up over your head. I've been the one watching these activities with a lot of hunters over the years. Much like having them draw and unable to get past the let off while sitting in a blind. That I've seen dozens of times!

Even though in pre hunt phone conversations I will have told them point blank, shoot a bow you can draw while seated without going above your head. There is no over head space in the blinds to swing the bow up for your draw.

I like more power whenever possible, but never at the cost of sacrificing that effortless smooth draw that lets you make the shot bundled up with lots of warm clothing, or after sitting in the tree for 4 hours in 20 deg weather. Kneeling, sitting, or quickly drawing to make the shot with a minimal time to settle on target.

After a while you begin to realize that past 50-60 pounds in draw, and with great broadheads ( slicktricks) your close range skills far outweigh your draw weight and speed.

For those with both great skills and 70 plus draw weights ............ well those are elite men of Archery. I have not had the pleasure to meet very many of them in my career.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Good stuff JJ. I've seen links to guys over at AT who make custom limbs for bows. That might be an option for some. Like you said, a lot of bows will pull a tad heavier than advertised with the limb bolts bottomed out. So those puny 50-60# limbs will likely max out at 62# and sling an arrow a LOT faster than 60-70# limbs turned down to the same weight.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
71 maxed on my bow is pretty easy to draw. I had a few friends over who tried to draw my bow. I was afraid they were going to hurt themselves trying to draw it back. grin

laugh That is funny Winnie, I've seen that a time or two myself, and agreed JJ, there is an art to it, I got old Buds that can lay out and smoothly bench 350 lbs, I'm popping tendons and ligaments trying to do 275. shocked eek

Gunner

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
JJHACK

There is no magic number, 45 to whatever will all get the job done. Manufactures settled on even numbers in ten pound increments for whatever reason.

Archery is no different then rifle we Americans love power even at the cost of accuracy. Bigger is always better is the mentality.

I remember the days of 100lb draws, I was a range rat at my local archery shop. I use to laugh at the guys buying new compounds. Back then 50-65% let-off was the norm. Guys were buying bows they could only pull back a handful of times. You could tell them till you were blue in the face its too much weight. They had to have it. With advancements in bow technology the weight of those days is long gone, but the mentality is still strong.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,347
Posts18,506,214
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.