Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have been doing some scouting and found a spot where for 3 nights in a row i have heard probably 15 coyotes and a few groups of coyotes howling yipping and barking about half an hour after sun down.

My question is, they are all on military property and i do not have access to it. it is fenced off with that 4 inch square "chicken" wire fence that is about 4 feet tall. Will they jump the fence to come to my call?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They will jumb the fence if you sound like an easy meal.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep, easy rabbit squeal with any decoy any they will fly over that fence

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They can and will jump a 4' fence slicker than snot.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Cool thanks guys

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
They usually have places that they have dug to crawl under also, a little walking may pay off big time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last year my buddy heard a noise in his back yard and saw a coyote jumping his 5 foot wall with his pet turtle in its mouth.

Ted
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's amazing how 2 or 3 kiyotees can sound like a pack numbering in double digits.

Then there was the time i howled after dusk and got back what sounded like a pair......spent the nite in my truck.....after day broke i positioned myself just over a ridge & howled and it sounded like the same two......i hurled a challenge and sat back looking down and up the drainage.
Here came 6 or 7 coyotes from over the western skyline on a dead run.....you talk about stunned.
Never could understand that.

A sheep foreman told me that he saw a coyote jump a fence one time. His white Pyrenees had run off a pair and one coyote kept running into the sheep fence while trying to escape. Finally it launched itself over the fence and made a getaway.....that really concerned him.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bet sheep ranchers wish they didn't.

NRA Patron
I've never seen an Indiana coyote jump a fence but seen them crawl under fences all the time. Can't wait for season to open up here.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A coyote seems to prefer to go under a fence but won't hesitate to go over if that is the easiest way. Antelope are the same way.

The summer I worked for NM Game and Fish, at the Redrock exotic game ranch, part of my job was to fill in and fence off any spots where coyotes had dug underneath the fences.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen yotes go over a 6 foot block wall before. They made it look easy.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Look for the crawl under--it is there somewhere. That will be their natural crossing point. If they are jumping, it is not what they prefer to do.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Clayne_B: I would go with what others have seen regarding Coyotes jumping "chicken wire" or "hog fences" - but my experiences are different than the other posters so far.
I have seen thousands of Coyotes go through and under all kinds of fences but never seen one successfully "jump" over a "hog type" fence!
In my 65 years I have seen exactly 2 (two) Coyotes try to jump over a hog type fence and neither was successful!
Both failed to clear and fell back down in a heap and ran off heading along said fences, away from me as best they could.
I will say this both Coyotes were escape running and going slightly uphill when they tried to top the fences - again neither were successful.
I also have seen hundreds of Antelope jump all types of fences AND cattleguard ground barriers - they are good jumpers and yet I often see them running to and fro along a fence they could easily jump - apparently looking for a gap in the barbed wire to slither through or under?
Good luck in getting the Coyotes to come over the fence to you - I personally am not sure they can do so.
In fact my country type home and property is surrounded, completely, by "hog fence" - as well as are the several hundreds of acres of cultivated fields that surround my home. Over the past 16 years I have seen many hundreds of Fox Hunting in my yard and the adjacent fields for mice, rabbits, game birds and the like.
But never once have I seen or heard a Coyote in this "hog fenced" off area.
Yet, countless times, I get just outside this hog fence "zone" and the Coyotes are very frequently seen.
Fox can manage to get through the "hog fence" but obviously the Coyotes can't get through it and maybe they are hesitant to jump them or not able to.
Again best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,522
Posts18,491,050
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.