Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Seems like the other post has more or less run it's course. I've got a Weatherby Vanguard 308. Never been fired that is aching for a kid to play with. Got to thinking it would be kind of cool if we found a kid in one of the villages in Alaska. Subsistence is a big thing but decent equipment is sometimes tough to come by. I can help out with the rifle, can anybody else help out with a scope and some of the other items?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got some .308 bullets I could pitch in!

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
cool!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I may have a spare Bushnell scope, I know I have one Tasco World-Class that is a donor only. If these will help, PM me with instructions.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'll pitch in a Butler Creek neoprene carry strap with swivels and a .30 cal bore snake if you think that would help. Lemme know.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
That's great I think both would work. Pm on the way

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't think the other thread is quite over yet. I'm still waiting to send my rifle off. Karnis is still working on the stock. I just think there are some items that need to come together and it will be up and running again.

Still giving away a new .308 is an awesome gift to any kid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is really a great idea to revive again. I came late to the last opportunity, so I'd like to see what I can do this time.

First off, I know a young fellow who sounds like a very possible candidate for such a thing. Many people have no real idea what life is like out in some of these villages. I will admit that my experience is pretty narrow in terms of rural scope, but I've lived in 'the village' for close to 30 years, in two places just north of the Yukon delta. Most people don't really have much, but they manage to live pretty decently anyway. Certainly there's plenty who 'can" who 'won't', and there's also plenty who 'can't' who don't want to.

The kid I'd like to offer as a prospect is a young fellow whose family history you just about have to ignore, or it'll tear you up. His mother spent a year or two in Anchorage while she was in high school, she ended up pregnant and back home. So he has been raised by in the village, under conditions that include neglect, abuse, and substance problems. His biological father has passed away, his mother has moved away, he lives with his grandparents; his grandfather who has limited sight in one eye doesn't hunt. This kid has largely raised himself, taught himself to hunt, and works very avidly to bring home with his only gun- a 12 gauge shotgun- anything that will put protein on his family's table. Unlike so many kids out here who find relatively easy access to transportation, this young fellow hoofs it most of the time and is grateful whether he comes home with a couple rabbits, a ptarmigan, or a goose or three even if that means walking 3, 5, or 8 miles across frozen or swampy tundra to do so. I don't know how many times I've been asked, "If I had a slug, how far, how big, how accurate, would I be able to ..." This is a young guy who would try to poke a sharp stick in a seal if he thought it was possible, even if he never succeeded.

I don't know if he fits the 'deserving kid' ideal, but he seems like a decent prospect to me. I know I'd gladly set him up with at least a gross (144) of 308 handloads for that rifle (with mil-surp headstamps so perhaps he wouldn't have to share his 'wealth' with too many other 308 users. wink ) If not him, at the very least, I'd throw in a Bore Snake and some appropriate fluids knowing the conditions under which guns are used (hard) out in this part of the world.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Love this thread. Big props to Paul for starting it and to all contributors since. Just awesome.

I have a drawer full of Remington pieces and parts but I'm guessing they won't help on a a weatherby? If they use the same mounts I've got Leup DD's to pitch in.

Anyway you guys rock.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

He sure sounds DESERVING to me. And in need.

Have a scope yet?

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
He seems like a descent prospect to me. I like it.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Jeff, Weatherby and Remington have the same screw whole pattern for bases so if you have one it would be appreciated.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Earl, looks like AH64guy is going to help with a scope. THanks

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Ok. I'll hang on to it for the next project.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think Klik's young candidate seems perfect.

I don't know if he'd want them but I have an old pair of Japanese binoculars that are clear and sturdy but also heavy and bulky.
7-15 zoom.
They are certainly not something I'd carry hunting as I have other options but if Klik thinks he can use these they're his.

Pictures forthcoming.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's the pics.

Like I said they're big, heavy and bulky but the glass is very very good and they're in very good shape.
Comes with the original case.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Klik's prospect seems like a kid who could use a little help.

I'd like to donate a new in package Kershaw Chill folding knife.

Tell me where to send it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kliks nominee sounds like a perfect fit to the mold Paul set when we started this and has my vote. Let me dig around and I will see what I have for a .308

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Seems like the other post has more or less run it's course. I've got a Weatherby Vanguard 308. Never been fired that is aching for a kid to play with. Got to thinking it would be kind of cool if we found a kid in one of the villages in Alaska. Subsistence is a big thing but decent equipment is sometimes tough to come by. I can help out with the rifle, can anybody else help out with a scope and some of the other items?

Forgot to mention in my first post, but that is one heckuva fine and generous offer on your part. Thank you Sir for wanting to help out others!

Question for Caribou, Klik, and other Ak'ers familiar with this type of situation. I realize the scope is the biggie needed, but what type of items would be helpful for this young man in his location?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hey guys looks like i am a little late.Maybe I will catch the next one.If something is needed on this one please post it.I got stuff stacked every where.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12savage, 65 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,915
Posts18,479,632
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.