Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Years ago a friend of mine told me "Nothing is worth more than what you can get for it when you have to sell it". I've always found it to be true.
Conversely I just made the Lakeland Gun show this past weekend and found lots of bargins with folks ready to deal. I wasn't looking at 'Black Rifles" but lots of nice rifles and shotguns going for what I thought were reasonable prices. I have not seen that much lately. There was also lots to see. I got there at 9AM amd didn't see all the show by closing. Sold one rifle at a slight loss and made up the difference on another. Bought a nice drilling and a beautiful Lefever for half of Blue Book.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Just wait until you try and sell a mint full custom rifle, from a respected smith, and people offer you factory prices for it. Definitely a sign of the times.

I just got on the good side of such a deal. You can see it in my thread abot my 7mm Mashburn. Full tapered Octagon barrel with integral rib, five foldiing leaf sights on the rib, gorgeous wood, outstanding metalwork including machined into the reciever QD bases and made for this rifle and bases QD rings. Some engraving, too. All for $900.00 cash. One could not have paid for just the Machining on this rifle with $900.00.

Yep, buyers market and a rifle is worth what a willing buyer will pay for it, period. Remmy 700 BDL's are, as has been pointed out, $400 rifles or thereabouts. Low level Nikon scopes bring $75-100 in the used market most typically.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you see a gun selling for less than you think it's worth-BUY THE DAMN THING!
That would be an investment.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Speaking of guns being an investment. There's a gun store where I used to live that the owner always tells me she will hold onto a gun to make 10% on it even if it takes 5 years or more - and she's not joking. The she complains about customers who complain that there is nothing new on the shelf for months at a time.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tracks

Actually, that is a good point.

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by NathanL
Speaking of guns being an investment. There's a gun store where I used to live that the owner always tells me she will hold onto a gun to make 10% on it even if it takes 5 years or more - and she's not joking. The she complains about customers who complain that there is nothing new on the shelf for months at a time.

Yeah, that kinda goes along with my earlier post about the value of time and effort. I don't understand it and I sureinhell can't relate to it. It seems to be common with gun show dealers, including one who is a friend of mine. They haul the same stuff to show after show. I'm thinking that long guns are, bulky, awkward, and take up storage space, not to mention cost of insuring them, and other overhead and alternative investment opportunities. I can't imagine hauling the same pile time after time, hoping to squeeze top dollar out of them, but I suppose it works for them or they wouldn't do it.

Like I said, to each his own. For me it seems like a royal PITA, and I have better things to do with my time.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a difference when you do "guns" as a hobby,vs a profession

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Tracks

There is definately some truth to this.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I appreciate all the comments, kinda has me thinking, I prolly will never sell any of my guns, but I will still keep buying from time to time. I spent 800.00 on zeiss scopes this month and 100 on tally rings

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paul39

Yeah, that kinda goes along with my earlier post about the value of time and effort. I don't understand it and I sureinhell can't relate to it. It seems to be common with gun show dealers, including one who is a friend of mine. They haul the same stuff to show after show. I'm thinking that long guns are, bulky, awkward, and take up storage space, not to mention cost of insuring them, and other overhead and alternative investment opportunities. I can't imagine hauling the same pile time after time, hoping to squeeze top dollar out of them, but I suppose it works for them or they wouldn't do it.

Like I said, to each his own. For me it seems like a royal PITA, and I have better things to do with my time.

Paul

I am in complete understanding of this one. I see the same thing at each show, the same guys with the same overpriced stuff. When I go to a gunshow I ALWAYS sell at leat 1/2 of what I bring and often 80-90% of it. I am not there to haul the stuff back home and there are lots of other things I would rather do on a Saturday than sit watching a gun show table. Fun a couple times a year but not week after week fer cryin out loud. A few of the regulars have actually complained to me and the promoter of the shows that when I come I ruin thier business and drive down the prices. Tough chit, turkeys. Bring YOUR prices down to 'Good DEAL' levels and we all might move some stuff and the folks who come would have fun and maybe buy a gun or two for a change.

Rant over.... It is all in the name of fun.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Simoneaud
well I have a mod 700 BDL 270 walnut blued that shoots lights out, I have killed well over 50 deer with it and I would not let it go with a scope for 600.00

I wouldn't pay $600.00 for it with a scope, so there you are. Maybe someone who had his hot-button pushed by the gun would. But, it isn't an unusual or hard to find gun with a strong market.

Something is worth what the market says it's worth. Buyers here are about the most gun-savvy bunch anywhere on the internet. They buy for actual value usually. Still, there are real bargains offered here. It's why this site and the classifieds are so popular.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never understood the gun show guys the set their prices so high they never sell anything. You paid for gas to get there, you paid for the table, and you have two days of your time tied up. I'm not an accountant, but the way that figures out you just lost money and wasted your time. Seems like if you had realistic prices so say you could make $50-100 and sell 5-10 guns for sure your ahead vs. hoping to find one sucker to make you $200 on one gun.

But I didn't go into gun selling or gunsmithing because I just couldn't figure out how to make a living at it, so what do I know.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep, that's my take on it too.

If it were a case of exclusively new guns where, from what I've heard, the margin is small, I could understand holding out for a selling price that would net the dealer a decent return.

But the conventional situation involves a dealer buying a used gun at well below retail, and still holding on waiting and hoping for somebody to pay top dollar on resale.

Seems to me that it would make more sense to do a reasonable volume rather than hoping to make a killing somewhere down the road.

But, like 458Lott, I'm looking at this from the outside, so perhaps I'm missing some key point.

As far as gun sales as a profession, I wonder how many dealers are true professionals and how many are in the business as a sideline or hobby? I'm retired, but if I wanted or needed to make money I can think of several ways I could make more than as a small time gun dealer, especially dragging the same inventory to show after show. Maybe.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Feel free to pay more than asking price on any firearm I have for sale in the classifieds. grin

Camp is where you make it.
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last four rifles I have sold over the past year or so got a decent exposure on the classifieds here but noone bought them.

I sold two of them on other gun sites, sold anotehr on consignment through a local dealer, and traded one through another site. (These sites are not devoted to selling guns but they are sites where serious collectors gather.) In all cases I got near my asking price here -- or fair trade value.

This is a substantial shift in my past experience as I probably sold 2 to 3 dosen rifles here -- including a general sell-off of almost all my bolt guns --in the previous decade. And bought quite a few too of course.

I cannot account for the difference beyond a general impression that the ratio of actual loonies to wannabees has slipped here and the economic downturn has seriously eroded "play money" so far that most perusing the classifieds are tire-kickers.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 09/20/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just this week I saw a guy trying to sell a perfect looking rem 700 BDL walnut blued 270 with a Nikon scope and rings � the whole package and he can�t get $600.00

Well, it's a 270.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1B

I cannot account for the difference beyond a general impression that the ratio of actual loonies to wannabees has slipped here

I just did a random sampling of the classifieds. Randomly clicked on the sellers profiles, then viewed their recent posts. The vast majority only had posts in the classifieds, or at least 95% of their posts in the classifieds.

4 or 5 years ago, I used to visit the classifieds daily, bought a few guns and scopes, gave away a couple pairs of boots. I don't hardly even click on the classifieds anymore because I'm not taking a chance with a new guy that only posts in the classifieds, as opposed to elsewhere in the forum to build a relationship with the other posters. I fully recognize we all were newbies at one time, but we existed in places other than the classifieds trying to make a quick buck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think most people who have money to spare are buying black rifles. Certainly the gun shows I've been to recently in Houston are 90% black rifles, or autoloading pistols. It definitely is a buyers market for traditional hunting rifles & shotguns.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

And there was a local dealer here who used to turn guns over very quickly (a few days) for $20-$50 over his cost and was making a very high percentage return on his money as a result. Took a lot of stress off him, too.

Retired cat herder.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by temmi
Originally Posted by Simoneaud
I have been watching the classifieds a lot lately, I bought a Zeiss scope and sold a few things. What I don�t like is I see guns selling for way less than they are worth in my mind. When I buy a gun Normally I look at it as an investment, but at the prices I see in the classified, I am up-side-down $$ money wise if I had to sell my guns thru the classifieds.
Just something I noticed. Just this week I saw a guy trying to sell a perfect looking rem 700 BDL walnut blued 270 with a Nikon scope and rings � the whole package and he can�t get $600.00��I don�t like that.

I do't have an idea of what the gun is worth

but

a standard rem 700 BDL... is not an investment.

If you think so you may well stay "Upside down"

Snake

+1. To the OP, I like seeing the low prices here. It means we arn't trying to rip each other off. I recently sold 2 rifles here and the 2 buyers were very happy. I bought a top of the line tactical scope for way less than it sells for retail to help a fellow member here who just lost a family member and needed the money in a hurry. We arn't here to screw each other over with exorbitantly priced chit, personally that's what I like about our classifieds section...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.