Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Please tell me what you know about the Glock-like Caracal pistols made in the UAE.

Thanks, RS

Last edited by RipSnort; 06/06/12. Reason: spelling
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have read several articles on the Caracal F-series guns and from what I read, they are going to be fine guns. I like the styling and like you said, they are a lot like Glocks. I have never fired one, but I don't think you would be disappointed for the price

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Please tell me what you know about the Glock-like Caracol pistols made in the UAE.

Thanks, RS

They had a HUGE presence at this year's SHOT show and media day---really got their name out. Their guns seemed like Glock clones. The one that I shot was unimpressive---not negatively so, just as in it left no impression whatsoever---completely unmemorable. I have a close friend that shot one in last year's Tactical Conference at the US shooting academy in Tulsa---it worked flawlessly.

In comparison, Glock's are pretty inexpensive to begin with so personally I'm not sure that the world needs a cheap knock-off of a Glock--but that's just me. At least they're not Turkish.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Name is Caracal not Caracol. They were designed by Walther Bubitz who worked for Glock, Walther and Steyr on semi auto pistol conception. The model sold in Europe, i think in the US too, have slide and barrel made in Germany by Haenel.
They are tested for two years now on different battlefield (Africa, Asia, Middle East) and proved reliable, easy to use and maintain.
Accuracy is good and trigger better than Glock (far better). They are simple effective not expensive combat pistols, available in two sizes and two types of sights.
As with the Glock and all plastic lower receiver, modern pistols they are liked or disliked on first sight. Depend on people.

One more thing: they are easy to control (better than Glock 17) because of their handle and having a bit lower barrel.
Magazine is steel not synthetic. Exterior finish not as hard as Glock but strong enough.
Not as many options as Glock. In Europe they sell a bit less and for their first 8 months of introduction have reasonable selling rates(french market: yes we can!)and no reliability issues.
I'm a former Glock owner (17, 19, 20, 21,) that's gave me a good base to compare. Not a 1911 clone, a Sig Sauer or CZ they are just Caracal: modern day 9mm pistol with lots of good things for them.

Hope it helps you

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very well put frog....they are available in my area now and I really like what I have seen so far. I have been looking (somewhat) for a full frame 9mm and since I already have a Glock 30, I may try one out

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Thomas Jefferson
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The Caracal with and without stock on the range.

[Linked Image]

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by writing_frog
They are simple effective not expensive combat pistols, available in two sizes and two types of sights.

A third size is advertised as coming out this year - the SC (subcompact).

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A local gun shop owner here is a big fan of the Caracal, so I've heard quite a bit about them. I actually almost bought one. He runs caracalforum.com. I haven't talked to him about it in a few months, but there's a few reasons I didn't buy.

The main importer for Caracal into the USA got in a big tiff with the company and is no longer importing them (last I heard). This means that what we've got here is all we're getting for a while. If you need parts or service, you're also basically SOL from what I understand.

They seem to be really good guns. They did have a few problems at first but those seem to be ironed out now. Bubitz has gone on record as saying this is his best design- more simple and easy to shoot. Are you willing to take the chance? At this point it's almost a novelty item. Also, accessories will be tough to come by.

They've also got a unique sighting system on some of the guns where the rear sight is machined into the slide and sits about half way up. It's pretty interesting.

Another heads up, there's a guy in Europe somewhere (france?) who has a big ax and he's grinding it against caracal. Everywhere you look you'll find this guy posting about how the ejection from his caracal broke his glasses and how caracal is satan's gun company. He was the distributor in his company and got cut off for some reason, so he's made it a point to slander them all he can and wherever he can.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Interesting.

If they're still around in 5 years, I might get one.

I'm going to let others do the beta-testing.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It looks like things have changed:

http://www.caracalforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=258

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Some of the hardest bullshitters about that pistol seem to have some good ties with Glock sellers, distributors, importers...Just to give an idea...
Not the best pistol in the world not the worst. A good one.

Best way is to find a dealer who's willing you to test it or shoot some cartridges with.

Internet (i know i'm on too)is just internet. Everybody could have problem with a firearm but one experience is not the general world.

Last hunting season shooting uphill from a very bad position i took my Leupold 2,5-8x36 in my eyebrow (8x68s cal rifle). Must i write on the web 8x68S is schiit, Leupold ain't enough eye relief? No! It happens sometime if you hunt enough in mountain with heavy recoiling rifle.

As some can have problem with their pistols too. Bashing on the internet with only one very small experience is just that: bullshitting! Be it Colt, Caracal, Glock, Sig or whatever. At the moment i've shot around three thousand rounds with that pistol without any problem and i'm not alone in this situation.

Always take the internet with grain of salt (me included)

Dom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
dryfly.....the accessory issue is the main reason I have held off....I think I want one, but I agree with yall that I want to make sure there is support and stuff available for them

I love the stock....wonder how much more that cost???

-Thomas Jefferson
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I am approaching 2000 rounds (0 malfunctions) through my Caracal F. The worst part is deciding whether to buy another F or to get a Compact.

There are more holster options today than just a few months ago, here's my F in a custom RKBA Kydex holster.

[Linked Image]

Styer America is the importer.

YMMV

"If I'm already on my way down
I might as well just work the crowd"

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd have a hard time buying a firearm made in a muslim country.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by gwindrider1
I'd have a hard time buying a firearm made in a muslim country.

http://www.caracal.ae/

I never knew anything about them.
The campfire teaches me something new every time I visit!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U

They buy our stuff ... cool

By Jim Wolf

WASHINGTON | Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:42am EST

(Reuters) - The United States has signed a $3.5 billion sale of an advanced antimissile interception system to the United Arab Emirates, part of an accelerating military buildup of its friends and allies near Iran.

Last edited by Urban_Redneck; 09/24/12.

"If I'm already on my way down
I might as well just work the crowd"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My impression is that Caracal and UAE are rather serious about making this pistol a serious export option. I see nothing about it that makes me think it�s less than top quality and can hold its own with the rest of the better synthetic pistols, but time will tell on that one.

Glock clearly has the advantage in the synthetic pistol world since not only have they been around and doing it longer, they tend to keep updating their pistols as weaknesses are discovered. So the Glock is a very proven and well developed pistol, which is kinda difficult for an upstart to overcome.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Wonder if UAE has the ability to produce in large numbers to fill government contracts.

Or if any purchasing authority has confidence that that a country run by temporary guest workers will continue supporting Caracal for the, oh, next 2-3 decades.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 270cowboy, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,332
Posts18,487,602
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.