Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Hope it's not heresy to ask that on this forum. I'am gettin old. Pack goats look like a workable solution for getting into the high country without the expense and hassle of horses. Has anyone here raised and packed with goats?

Thanks,

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Several years ago we tried a couple goats and a couple llamas. For our purposes, the llamas worked better (we now have 4) but goats are definitely a good option too. If we didn't have the llamas, we'd have the goats for sure. There are a couple guys on here who use goats. You might ask the same question on the horses & ATV forum as I know they read that.

It's not heresy. I've posted a number of times here about the llamas and so far I haven't been banned. Much of the same stuff applies to packing with stock as backpacking. The only difference is who carries the weight. I can sure tell you that when you top 60, pack stock makes a big difference in backpacking.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Hope it's not heresy to ask that on this forum. I'am gettin old. Pack goats look like a workable solution for getting into the high country without the expense and hassle of horses. Has anyone here raised and packed with goats?

Thanks,

Jordan

Jordan, I believe Vigil Guy who posts here uses them extensively. Personally I'd love to use goats under certain circumstances.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Jordan,
I have been using them for a number of years and they work very well for the right people. They are the easiest/cheapest pack animals to own and keep and very hearty and durable. One person and 4 mature and in shape goats can pack out most boned out elk. I use them to pack in many of the amenities that I can't carry when back pack hunting(beer, steaks, woodstove...things like that). I originally got them for high country mule deer, but find myself throwing them in the back of the pickup truck for even day hikes or overnight walkin fishing trips.

Aaron
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Aaron:

What is the time and cost outlay? Tack doesn't look too expensive. Obviously you've got board, shelter and feed them. What kind of penning and shelter outlay are we talking? Do they require daily bonding sessions. crazy I am told if you get them young and bottle nursed, they will naturally follow you without a leash. Could a guy get buy with two goats for packing in gear for a 4-5 day mule deer hunt?

Thanks,

Jordan

Last edited by RobJordan; 09/22/12.

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A big, conditioned goat can haul 50 lb so that's about what 2 men could carry. So, 2 goats will easily haul a good camp if you use light weight backpacking gear. You might get a deer out in 1 trip on 2 goats if you keep camp light enough to carry yourself.
It takes 4 years to grow a mature goat so if you get bottle babies, you'll be a long time growing your stock. If you want them sooner, you'll have to get older ones and keep them on leads. Some goats will bond better than others whether young or old. We have a Saanan wether that we got at about 9 mo. as a pasture buddy for our stud buck. You couldn't run him off if you tried.

We raise goats but they're Boers for meat. They're lousy packers. They have short legs and broad backs with no withers to hold a saddle. You can't keep a saddle on one as it just rolls sideways.

They do need shelter from rain & wind. It doesn't take much, though. Fencing is another story. A goat can get out of anything and everything. Dairy breeds are best for packing but they're also the best fence breakers known to man. Alcatraz couldn't hold them. The best fix I've found is electricity, but even then they have their ways, especially if they have horns. They'll stick a head under a hot wire and hit it with a shoulder. Then they jump back and hook the wire with the horns and tear it off the insulators.

― George Orwell

Jordan,
The cost for a goat ranges from free to $150. I gave a high school girl $150 for my first two, 4year old wethers and got my second two for free. In a year like this, where hay prices are going to be high, due to drought, there will be quite of few free or cheap animals out there. I have about $700 into saddles and panniers. The saddles are easy to make and there is a fair amount of info out there. My first two were ornery males and was told they didn't like men and would probably never really warm up to me. After spending a little time with them, they warmed up and are actually very friendly. They make great pillows when taking naps while out hunting. There is quite a bit of information on packgoats and the Packgoat forum is probably the best place to start. I have a 900 square ft converted dog kennel with a 10 by 20 shelter attached to it, and theoretically, can keep 9 goats in there. I go through roughly 4 big round bales of low grade grass hay every year, feeding 4 goats. You do not have to lead them, pack in food or water and I usually take them with me while I am actually hunting.

Aaron
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by sharpstick
You do not have to lead them, pack in food or water and I usually take them with me while I am actually hunting.

I'd wondered about that. I figured you'd need a wrangler/campsitter.

I use electricity to keep them honest, as they can exploit a weakness in just about any fence. This is what probably causes the most problems for goat owners. I have a big sannen, lamanchas and an alpine/boer cross. The alpine cross is probably the best packer I have, but the other breeds are much friendlier, especially, my sannen.

Aaron
You would be amazed at the number of animals that will let you get within shooting range. That's all I will say on that!

Aaron
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by sharpstick
I use electricity to keep them honest

How 'bout one of those UDAP portable fences used to keep bears out?

Although, I generally try and stay out of bear and wolf country with the goats, that is getting harder to do these days. i have been thinking of using something like this in the future. We have encountered black bears on a number of occasions with no issues, but there were a number of goats killed by a grizzly some 30 miles away from here. That is the first time I have heard of bear predation on goats and backcountry trail maintenance contractors have used them without incidence for years.

Aaron
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Those backpacker bear fences do work but there's many cheaper ways to go. The UDAP version is outrageously expensive for what it is. I just ordered a battery fence charger for $80 and there are any number of places online to get the netting.
The hardest thing to come by is collapsible fence posts. The cheapest ones I've found are $20 EACH!!! I'm working on inventing some using fiberglass tent pole sections. With the llamas, I can get 30" sections in the panniers. With goats, you might need them shorter.

The fence will also be useful to keep the goats out of your tent and your groceries. They do bond nicely. grin

You can also use electric tape instead of the netting for a lot less money. Here's one designed for horses that might give you some ideas. HORSE PADDOCK For bear prevention, you'd probably want 3 strands of the tape closer together instead of the 2 with this kit. It would be better for restraining goats as well as repelling bears.

― George Orwell

Jordan,
Two goats would definitely work for a 4-5 day mule deer hunt. I have packed out a whole boned out whitetail on one goat, three miles on level ground with no problems. I often just take one while deer hunting.

Aaron
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
This has been a great thread, thanks all. I'm thinkin' the goat thing suits me fine.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For tack, Craigslist is your friend. I completely outfitted 5 llamas with saddles and panniers for around 5 to $600. Goat saddles are harder to find but they're out there. Use Searchtempest.com which is a CL search engine. You can enter a distance that you're willing to go for an item and it will give you every CL city within that radius. With saddles, they ship easily.
If you prefer new tack, here's the best price I've found online: BUTTHEADPACKGOATS I ordered a saddle from them a couple years ago and their service and quality were quite good.

― George Orwell

www.northwestpackgoats.com/ also has excellent quality and customer service.

Aaron
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks guys for your help. I appreciate it.

Jordan

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks guys for your help. I appreciate it.

Jordan

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.