Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
gotten cheaper or more expensive?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend of mine runs a booking agency and she has told me that the big five safaris have held up pretty well. The folks that have enough to hunt big cats and elephants still have enough. However, there seems to be some room for negotiation for plains game, particularly in South Africa.

I have seen some real deals for South Africa and Namibia at the local SCI auctions in the past two years.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Haven't seen any noticeable fluctuations either way, at least right now. Have seen some really good deals in the past few weeks but those are end-of-season offers that you'd see in any given year. (Just outfitters trying to sell left-over quota.) I have observed some outfitters have slightly increased Daily Rates and some Trophy Fees but these seem to fall within the accepted price changes, year-to-year.

There are an infinite number of variables that influence safari pricing and it would be expected that the current state of the economy should be one of these. Hunting safaris in Africa though, fall into the "ultra-luxury" category of goods/services and those things don't, typically, feel the pinch in bad economic times like others might.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Talking of Namibia, last year we payed cheaper prices than in 2010 and 2008.
The absence of spanish hunters had much to do with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many of the costs we incur are unfortunately out of our direct control. Fuel is a major expense right now. Having to pick hunters up at an airport by a third party and driving them to the hunting destination is particularly expensive.

The fluctuation in the exchange rate hits home hard. When we set up our prices for a season we have to work on an average of what we think it will be. When the exchange rate goes down we get less for a dollar and have to absorb the negative influence. Of course the opposite is also true but has not happened to me in a long time.

End of season deals will start about now and I have one or two coming up for October/November that will include nyala mainly.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You could use the currency futures market to hedge against foreign exchange risk. With the exchange rate locked in, you could set your pricing and know exactly how much you will receive in your currency.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A major factor in the cost of safari in countries like Zambia and Tanzania are the government concession fees. They will never go down.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
One outfitter I have hunted with constantly watched the exchange market, moving US dollars and Rands around to maximize their value.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Why are you concerned--AFRICA is only ONCE for most clients.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
cdhunt, that is so true 16% of everyone hunting with me.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by hatari
A major factor in the cost of safari in countries like Zambia and Tanzania are the government concession fees. They will never go down.

That may be true, but known cost can be passed on. It is the unknown costs (risk) that is the problem.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
What I have seen is it staying steady if not a slight rise in price, what I have noticed is there are more last minute or cancelation deals which can save you a good amount of money. Good economy or bad, hunters still want to go to Africa.

Brian

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (1minute, 264mag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 222ND, 34 invisible), 14,414 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,947
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.