Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Kind of liked those bigger pictures, can see more detail.

Have no idea what portal page is for, or how, or why, but had no trouble enlarging when wanting too before 'portal page'.

You guys leave Rick alone, he is donating all he can afford or earn, to defeat (I hope) the Jerk in the White House!

grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I don't 'mouse' around ... the ads don't bother me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For the Fire and a few other forums I went to Firefox and had NoScrip installed which blocks a good portion of most ads. That has it's own set of problems but it has made the Fire and other forums more user friendly.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
mine is back to "normal".

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yesterday, suddenly, the ad portion of the screen went from taking up about twelve percent of the screen to taking up about a third of the screen. Then that damned "Open Season Hunting Game" ad started self loading every time my mouse crossed it. Getting real annoying. Anyone else having this happen?

this is one of those rare occasions when I completely agree with you, Hawk. it is incredibly time wasting and irritating to have to click out of some stupid video game every time the mouse passes over the....now much larger....ad band on the right side.

also...why am I now opening on something called a portal page of classifieds instead of the forums page as usual?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Install Firefox and Adblocker.

I just did it a little while ago.

,...took maybe 5 minutes,..and I'm not real computer savvy when it comes to that stuff.

You'll like the Firefox. It reloads very fast,..and the adblocker stops a lot of crap.

It has a slightly different configuration, as far as which buttons to push,...but I'm sure it'll get to be second nature after a day or two.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
For the sake of argument...if everyone finds a way to block the ads and the advertisiers know this, will they continue paying for the ads that keep this site operational??

Personally, I think everyone should HAVE to see the ads unless they were willing to enroll in a paid subscription. Paying users wouldn't have to see any ads.

This would be fair to everyone and everyone would be 'paying their way' either through seeing the ads or paying out of pocket.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Yesterday, suddenly, the ad portion of the screen went from taking up about twelve percent of the screen to taking up about a third of the screen. Then that damned "Open Season Hunting Game" ad started self loading every time my mouse crossed it. Getting real annoying. Anyone else having this happen?

this is one of those rare occasions when I completely agree with you, Hawk. it is incredibly time wasting and irritating to have to click out of some stupid video game every time the mouse passes over the....now much larger....ad band on the right side.

also...why am I now opening on something called a portal page of classifieds instead of the forums page as usual?
If you're using Google Chrome, install this. It's a complete fix: autoblock

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wyliec
For the sake of argument...if everyone finds a way to block the ads and the advertisiers know this, will they continue paying for the ads that keep this site operational??

Personally, I think everyone should HAVE to see the ads unless they were willing to enroll in a paid subscription. Paying users wouldn't have to see any ads.

This would be fair to everyone and everyone would be 'paying their way' either through seeing the ads or paying out of pocket.
I never minded the ads till they suddenly took over a third of the screen and you couldn't avoid running that stupid game every time you accidentally passed your mouse over it. Then you'd have to scroll up and X it out to continue what you were doing since it filled the entire screen. It made the Fire essentially unusable.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am running firefox...just downloaded the ad blocker and it works fine.....that game was really annoying. I don't mind the ads just sitting there, but when they get aggressive and interfere with using the forums, I draw the line.

I've bought plenty of stuff from the forum's advertisers, but that one was too much.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Apparently increasing the window size of the advertising sidebar seems to be promoting and benefiting the ad-blocking software quite a bit more than the paying Campfire advertisers.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
One thing's for damned sure, I'll never buy a [bleep] Dodge truck, EVER. Anyone who sponsors an abomination like that damned ad will never get my business.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hmmm...seems like many are seeing something different than I am. I see the ads but don't get any activity with a mouseover...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here I keep getting not only annoying side ads but a screen with a compass on it keep taking over.

At Greybeards he has some pop up from the bottom that I must X out.

One just took over again as I typed this.

Got to find a better forum.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

Thanks!!! That little add on works like a charm.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That compass just took over again when I tried to enter the above post.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There we go ! Back to normal again !! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

YES....and its very annoying. mad

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
I don't mind the ads just sitting there, but when they get aggressive and interfere with using the forums, I draw the line.
Exactly.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Here I keep getting not only annoying side ads but a screen with a compass on it keep taking over.
Yep. Same here. That's that hunting game. Problem is solved now, though, since I installed an ad blocker.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,780
Posts18,495,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.