Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Not Brad's fault that two other hunters discovered our camp spot of the last 4 years. But a week in camp got me wondering if a SilNylon wall tent isn't something we us backpack hunter types shouldn't consider. I wonder what a 8x10 would weigh??

You could also 3 leg pitch it like a Hooch if space was a concern.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by DanAdair
[Linked Image]

But a week in camp got me wondering if a SilNylon wall tent isn't something we us backpack hunter types shouldn't consider. I wonder what a 8x10 would weigh??

I have been curious about that as well. Either a SilNylon wall tent or a taller Jardine style tarp that you can stand up under.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
When I was an infantryman in AK in the 70's, our Korean war era squad tent were heavy canvas abominations. When rolled up, they filled up half or more of the HUGE pulk/sleds we used (akhios). The Canadian PPCLI came up to Wainwright to train with us and they had a slightly lower profile tent that appeared to be made from a nylon/cotton blend. It looked just like the fabric my old Sierra Designs 60/40 jacket was made from. IMO, something like this would make for an ideal wall tent, but I'd bet it wouldn't be cheap.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We had contemplated doing a lightweight wall tent earlier this spring, but never got around to it. There is a big agnes sort of wall tent, but it's not very large and is still 30 lbs. I would think you would need to get the fly in 4 - 8 lb weight range. Breathable would be a benefit.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've spent enough time bullshitting with cowboys at trailheads that I can tell you that there is an "Ultralight Horsepacking" trend that's up and coming. It's more prevelant with the hunters with horses crowd, not so much with the cowboys with guns crowd.

I would think what you (Kevin) and Kifaru are using would work just fine. I don't know that breatable would be such a concern in a tent that size. Pair it off with a stove the size of EdTs Arctic and a guy would have a damn nice camp for 3 guys.

Plus, for me, it'd be the cat's ass for trips where you burn gas to make camp. Like the 9-10 3D shoots I make a year, or the fly-fishing trips

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I bet Whambasted could make you one with all the bells and whistles. You should send him a pm.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the idea of it. I like my current tipi, but I can't fully stand in it. I'm sort of hunched over while dressing. It would sure be nice to stand straight up.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If I knew how to sew I'd have had one years ago... A Gerber folding saw some straight timber and some lashing rope and one could make a hell of a frame...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
There is a UL horse packer trend. We have a few folks that have bought 12 mans for horse packing. It allows them to go in with on horse, and bedroll with a tipi and stove on the back.

I'm not sure of others height, but I know our 6 man and above, you will have to be pretty tall to not stand up in.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you seen the Drylite wall tents? It's interesting that they are breathable.

http://www.greenwayseedandindustries.com/new_page_1.htm

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've seen frames like the one in your photo where the guys packed in a large sheet of reinforced plastic. It must have been commercial- I've never seen it prior- it had some type of nylon fiber embedded maybe layered but not Mylar (too noisyanyway) a plastic about 4mil.

I thought about the silnylon over that same frame especially since so much beetle kill. I would think a guy would want reinforcements of cordura at rub points since those timbers would shred sil in the wind- just a thought

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by B_Lance
I've seen frames like the one in your photo where the guys packed in a large sheet of reinforced plastic. It must have been commercial- I've never seen it prior- it had some type of nylon fiber embedded maybe layered but not Mylar (too noisyanyway) a plastic about 4mil.

What you describe is what we call rhino hide poly sheeting. it has about a 1/2" cord web embedded in the plastic. It's tough stuff. We've even built a fire under it.

It's often used for late-season construction to dome a concrete slab or get heat into a project prior to it being closed in.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ironbender; 09/26/12. Reason: pic

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 270cowboy, 10gaugeman, 48 invisible), 1,799 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,054
Posts18,521,335
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.