Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
My springer has been hunting birds for me in crusted snow. Sooner or later her pads start to bleed and I have to end the hunt quickly. This puts her out of commission for at least three days. Other than "boots" of some kind, what are you folks using out there to protect your dogs' feet? Are boots the answer? Thanks!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

T
T
I hunt a Brittany and have never had the problem. I do make sure he gets plenty of presason work, a lot of it on concrete and asphalt which makes his pads tuff. He's also very good about stopping during the hunt and cleaning the snowballs out of his feet.

Once their feet are raw I think your done for awhile, toughen them up preseason is my best advice. good luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here in the land of sled dogs, we see booties on dogs regularly. These dogs get long daily workouts and still wear booties. I'm talking about dogs that run from Anchorage to Nome. I'm thinking if there is any other way, these people would know about it, and they still use the old standby. They do, however have different booties for different conditions. The most common being pack cloth (heavy cordura nylon) and polar fleece. The cordura ones shed snow more easily and they wear better than the fleece. They are very easy to make if you have a sewing machine. Also very easy to find commercially, at least up here.
M

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Biz,

As a fellow Minnesotan - the snow conditions here have been brutal lately. Alternating layers of snow and skim ice are going to cut up a dog no matter what you do. Boots might save their feet, but this crap will also cut them higher on the leg.

Boots have their place in the dog kit no doubt.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is a product called tough pad, it helped my hounds out.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

C
C
I think its called" tuf-foot"?...I have a bottle at home. Its a real thin dark liquid with lots of alcohol I think. I used on one of my cur dogs a few years back that was having a foot problem.

My curs will have the same problem although snow balls don't build up between their toes. I used to fuss about it but the little bit of bleeding doesnt seem to bother them any.....a day or two in the kennel and their good as new

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am no authority about dog care, but I just got done reading a 1948 book called the "The fishing and hunting answer book" by a David M. Newell. He didn't mention snow but he said to care for your dogs feet, instead of boots which dogs don't seem to like, mix a miture of one third pine tar, one third fine sand and one third tannic acid. Heat the tar to mixing consistancy and stir in the sand and tannic acid thoroughly. After cooling, coat the dog's pads with the mixture.
He said it would provide protection without disconfort and could be used on dogs whose feet were already worn through by rough country as it also acted as a healing agent.
Although, I don't know how this would work for the snow, it sounds like it could be promising.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a springer growing up that had the same problem. Usually it was from little balls of snow that would build up between her pads and toes and chafe until her pads would bleed. We tried the boot thing, but she would chew them off, so in the end we just kept the hair trimmed and made sure that the snow balls were cleaned off.

Regarding the pine tar, we did use that on a horse that got it's leg cut up real bad in some barb wire (a coil of it hidden in the tall grass). It worked real well and the cuts healed marvelously. You could hardly tell where they were. Might work good for dogs too.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,679
Posts18,513,358
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.