Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
EWR Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

I lost my dad to lung cancer over the summer , and he was among lots of other things, my hunting partner.
So this Tuesday was kinda exciting but extremely hard at the same time because it was the first small game opening day I have had without him.
I finally decided to go out (we always skipped work on the opener to hunt it together).
I took his old shotgun just to kinda feel like he was along for the ride, so to speak ,as well as taking our old hunting buddy, BO my english springer spaniel.
At this point some background is in order.
In the past, every time Bo would see a deer while we were out bird hunting, he was ape [bleep] afraid of them.He would yip,yip,yip behind us and look out from behind our legs at the deer expecting us to protect him from the deer.
This area we always hunted was also where we hunt archery for deer but Bo has never hunted with us when we go for deer as in our area you can't use dog's.
So imagine the look on my face this morning when Bo not only didn't run away from the deer we ran into, but he barked and chased them.
Not only did he take off chasing them for the first time, he ran them right past where my Dad used to sit on watch waiting for them! And all 3 times he stopped and looked right at the stump he used to sit on!
How freaking weird is that?
Just thought I'd share.
Eric

"My German Shepherd is my best friend,but he could be your worst enemy"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Kind of strange.
My dad died in '06 at 92. He had to give up hunting in his late '70's but that didn't affect how he could hold a fishing pole. We had a lot of fun hunting experiences over the years.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Every fall we go hunting in eastern Montana and never forget those days when my father was there. He wasn't a conservationist, more like an opportunist. You had to hold him back from shooting more than you were allowed. I don't know where that attitude about game came from, but he was always wanting to stock up.

He shot his last deer when he was 91. I tried to get him out as often as I could. I do miss the old rip...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good photos. Good stories.

Retired cat herder.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Not spooky at all Eric. He was there with you. My dad died of lung cancer in Oct.'98. I'll share my stories of my 1998 deer season (archery and gun) when I have more time. You may want to think about sitting on that stump on Opening Day. smile

Bob

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by g5m
Good photos. Good stories.

X2
My father has never been into hunting, but luckily my son and I have shared many a hunt and good times afield.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a hunting story but true. My dad had a crown of thorns plant that was given to him by a buddy in the army. The buddy died shortly after and my dad always treasured that plant. It did okay but only had a very few blooms on it. After he died I inherited it and brought it home.
We live in the country, which my dad always wanted to do but mom refused. Today the plant is full of blooms and I know my dad is smiling. Lord how I miss him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope. Not spooky at all. All of our dogs seem to have great spatial memory. We may return to an area we visited once years ago, and the dog will be out and quickly over to check out a spot where a significant event (like a flushed bunny)took place.

He was just checking.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/26/12.

1Minute
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 1minute
Nope. Not spooky at all. All of our dogs seem to have great spatial memory. We may return to an area we visited once years ago, and the dog will be out and quickly over to check out a spot where a significant event (like a flushed bunny)too place.

He was just checking.

Going by Eric's story, I don't think his dog ever saw his dad sitting on that stump. That's what makes it such a good story. But Eric would have to confirm that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sometimes you just have to believe. I have had too many experiences not to. Trust me.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sometimes you just have to believe. I have had too many experiences not to. Trust me.

EWR Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Originally Posted by 1minute
Nope. Not spooky at all. All of our dogs seem to have great spatial memory. We may return to an area we visited once years ago, and the dog will be out and quickly over to check out a spot where a significant event (like a flushed bunny)too place.

He was just checking.

Going by Eric's story, I don't think his dog ever saw his dad sitting on that stump. That's what makes it such a good story. But Eric would have to confirm that.

You are correct sir! Bo never, not 1 time ever saw Dad sitting on that stump.
We did walk past it while bird hunting a few times but we never stopped there with the dog with us.

And thank's all for the added stories! It's kinda theraputic talking about it I guess.
Eric

"My German Shepherd is my best friend,but he could be your worst enemy"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 1096here

Yep, me too.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good story.
My dad passed away last month. He was a good father to take me hunting so many trips at a huge cost of time and energy, plus dollars.
Because he knew I loved the outdoors.
Took his old Browning auto. shotgun with me on a hunt this week. Hope he was watching as I shot better than I normally do with my O/U.

stumpy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (16penny, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.