Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
[Linked Image]

Looked like Fort Knox to me.

I think the smell was some kind of oil used on all the hardware.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 1minute
Along the sames lines were the gun stores. I was a kid in Va at the time, and Clark Brothers Gun Shop out of Warrenton would let us post date checks and hold them if we were short on cash. Those were the good ole days indeed.

Clark Brothers is still there...... some of the good ole still there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When we went to the Southside Cafe, they would let me go behind the counter to select my own bottle of pop from the cooler. They would be hanging in slots and sometimes I had to do quite a bit of rearranging if it had been loaded with two brands sharing a slot.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
anybody from the Midwest here should remember being able to buy gas ,beer and a .22 or shot gun...... rite off the shelf at "Holiday gas stations" guns were just sittin on the shelf in the middle of a asile.........man them times were the chit!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
who remembers gambling at the coke machine. we would all put in a $5 and play far away. the coke bottle with the farthest away city got the pot.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
anybody from the Midwest here should remember being able to buy gas ,beer and a .22 or shot gun...... rite off the shelf at "Holiday gas stations" guns were just sittin on the shelf in the middle of a asile.........man them times were the chit!

The Holiday station in nearby Petoskey, MI closed down a little over a year ago. frown Even up to the time they shut down they still had some fishing goodies as well as a modest selection of ammo. No guns for sale though.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DownWind
My dad owned the local gun shop in the late 50's/early 60's in our small town. He'd sell you whatever as long as you had the cash. IIRC a typical gun purchase went like this ... How much is that used model 94? It's $22. Here's $22. Enjoy your Model 94. He had a 50cal and a 30cal machine gun on tripods in the front window. Both had the firing pins removed. My brother and I used to climb into the window and strafe passing cars. laugh
Yeah, we've lost a helluva lot of freedom over the past couple generations. My grandfather used to tell of buying dynamite at the local farm supply for blowing stumps and he didn't even have to show ID or sign for it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
laugh[/quote] Yeah, we've lost a helluva lot of freedom over the past couple generations. My grandfather used to tell of buying dynamite at the local farm supply for blowing stumps and he didn't even have to show ID or sign for it. [/quote]

I'm thinking some change is for the better. smirk

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple of boxes of Holiday shotgun shells. Used to stop there quite a bit. Always fun looking around.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RS308MX
I'm thinking some change is for the better.
Not very damned often and the instances described above {buying guns and dynamite} aren't among them. I'm even old enough to remember when you could buy guns from a store or mail order catalog with no paperwork involved. Those were the good old days ! What's that old saying about those who would exchange freedom for security deserve neither ?

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A great thread. But still a little depressing looking back at the way things were then and seeing the way things are now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple of boxes of Holiday shotgun shells. Used to stop there quite a bit. Always fun looking around.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have an old fishing lure[I think rapalla]still in the box that was sent to my grandfather from eight-O-Clock brand coffee as some sort of giveaway/promotion when he owned an old type corner grocery store back in the 40's and 50's & 60's.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
raef i've still got an imitation scout knife that has blade, can opener, fork and spoon. my mom sent in kool aid packs to get the knife. laugh

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stush
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Anyone here familiar with Sabula Pennsylvania? Mrs. Cornelius's general store was on 255 across from Sabula Lake.

I stopped in that store many times growing up. It was on our way to our camp in Potter County, so we went by it all the time. Haven't been up that way in a while. Is there even a store there anymore?
Stush,

Unfortunately, it's been closed for a long time now. She got robbed by some punks and severely beaten. The store closed shortly after that. Also long gone are Calari's, which was the gas pump/roadside store on Sabula Lake just down from Mrs. Cornelius's, and Morelli's over in Penfield. We used to go to Morelli's for whatever we forgot to bring to camp with us. He still had the high shelves, with the ladder on tracks to slide along the wall and get to the dry goods up above. You may also remember Bailey's ice cream stand in Dubois by the side entrance to the mall. Sadly, it's gone too. Whenever we went to camp in the summer, that was always a special treat to go to Bailey's for a twist cone.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I might be wrong, but I think I remember an Army/Navy store
in Oil City/Franklin, PA many years ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crittergetter
I can remember when I was in high school all convenience stores and what we here in Texas call ice houses,on display you could buy
any caliber shotgun shell,rifle and 22 ammo they had in stock.We all drove pickup trucks with a shotgun,22 or deer rifle on the gun rack rear window of the truck.
We never locked our trucks and we all carried pocket knives to school.
I was in the 9th-12th grade in 1963-1966.

Happy Birthday!

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
crane's in williamsburg mo. it was still like a 1920's general store up to 10 yrs ago. it's a little more modern these days. still have $1 flat meat sammachs

FJB
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

We used to shoot rats at the city dump. We would tape a flashlight to the barrels of our .22s and blast away. Cops caught us once and hauled us in. I had tossed my Remington pump away as we were running from the cops. Later, at the station they called our parents who came and bailed us out.

As we were walking out the cop said, "Hey kid you forgot this" and tossed me the .22 which I still have to this day.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speaking of Army/Navy stores we had an Army Surplus store back when I was growing up. Man I loved that place. Shelves of bayonets (dad wouldn't let me have one for some reason). real military clothing, military rifles still half coated with grease, all kinds of good stuff. My buddies and I all had real stuff to play army with-helmet liners, cartridge belts, shovels with khaki holders that clipped on the belts, you name it.
Last time I was in one it was all cheap imitation stuff and tactical gear. Lots of cheap knives. Kinda sad.
I finally got dad to give me an M3 trench knive he picked up somewhere. Sadly, I decided to sharpen it with a grinder which ticked dad off somethin fierce.
A little side story about old stores. Years ago there was a shoe store in the top floor of a building downtown. Had to walk up a flight of stairs to get to it. As you entered the store there was a big poster of a guy aiming at some elk. I always liked that poster.
Anyway, the store closed and some time later that poster appeared in my uncle's garage. He pinned notes to it. When he passed I got the poster (the uncle who was executor of the will said "take the dumb thing."
I brought it home and did some investigating on the net. It is the work of Philip Goodwin (one "l"), a famous illustrator from the early 20th century. It measures probably four feet by five feet. I made a nice walnut frame for it and it rests in our rec room. I haven't found one that large and have no idea of what it's worth, but it's mine.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

715 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 3,234 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,744
Posts18,476,112
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.