Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6903667 09/24/12
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
My Gore-tex boots just don't seem to last that long no matter which brand I buy. With all the new designs and advancements in rubber boots, I wanted to know if anyone is or has used any of the newer models while hunting around in the mountains. Thanks in advance for your input! Good luck with your fall hunts!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure what you mean by rubber boot ?

But did some resent research and somewhat come up with a universal discovery that you sort of get what you pay for.

With the exception that seemingly instant bargains retain a lower value.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
There are several in our group that will take a pair of Muck Boots brand rubber boots to Colorado for 2nd rifle. I run Woody Elites. Several others run the Woody Max style. Actually fairly comfortable for less than technical climbing and hiking. The thicker styles will keep your feet plenty warm as long as you dry them out each night. Obviously do not have quite the ankle support as a well fit lace up boot. Ran mine 4 of the 6 days I hunted last year when I had a problem with toe bump in my lace up boots on the down hills.

Will take a new pair of Muck Boots along with my Danner Pronghorns and new Asolo Sassalongs in three weeks.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What were your Gore-Tex boots?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have never seen any rubber boots on any of my elk hunts. Most of the guys I hunt with use Kenetrek boots, or Irish Setter, or Danner boots. NONE of them would get within ten miles of any boots that had Rocky in their name!

My personal favorite is the Irish Setter 869's...great boot and waterproof. Treat em good with leather conditioner and you will be fine.

Good luck!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've never seen anything but Meindl boots on my hunts.

That's because I wear them, and I hunt alone. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
+1 Mendl, LLBean Maine Boots,

It’s all about Leadership.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I wear La Sportiva, Glaciers. They Gore tex lined, and with Gaitors my feet stay dry under the wettest conditions. I have found rubber boots too be nearly worthless on steep side hills,in mud or blight snow

Last edited by Elkmen; 09/24/12.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Mauser Hunter, I've tried Cabelas brand (made for Cabelas by Danner), real Danners, Rocky Boots, and Wolverine. Just thinking when I was a wildlife biologist in the Midwest I used to wear LaCrosse rubber boots in the swamps while grouse and deer hunting and although I had to dry them out each night, they seemed to be fairly light and comfortable, and no water ever got in. But the tread they had on them would be no good in the mountains. But now they have more rugged soles that are not only stiffer but more aggressive and might work better.

I think they may not have the backbone though. I may want to try some Redwings or Schnees.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Irish Setter Rutmasters have been excellent for me.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If your set on using rubber boots there are two brands I would suggest.

Whites Snow Cat which is a rubber bottom boot. I have not priced them lately.

LeChameau in the Chasseur or The Vierzon Nord Plus. They are easily the best rubber boots I have ever worn.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by COmarshrat
Mauser Hunter, I've tried Cabelas brand (made for Cabelas by Danner), real Danners, Rocky Boots, and Wolverine. Just thinking when I was a wildlife biologist in the Midwest I used to wear LaCrosse rubber boots in the swamps while grouse and deer hunting and although I had to dry them out each night, they seemed to be fairly light and comfortable, and no water ever got in. But the tread they had on them would be no good in the mountains. But now they have more rugged soles that are not only stiffer but more aggressive and might work better.

I think they may not have the backbone though. I may want to try some Redwings or Schnees.

You might consider the Meindl boots. Cabelas sells them. I keep praising them, because I bough a pair 6 years ago, and they're still going strong for me. I've worn them everyday for the whole 6 years. I hike in the mountains at least 300days a year. Plus, the hunting. I've walked in snow all day, and even waded in creeks while fly fishing. I never got wet feet, and never had cold feet either.

They really impress me. I have the Meindl Perfekt model. Look them up on Cabelas, and read all the reviews.

Keep in mind if you read the reviews. Some guys might have sensitive feet for breakin. I went for a 5 mile hike with mine on the first day I got them, and I was comfortable. You might see a few guy complain about the leather creaking. Those are the guy who don't ever treat their leather.

S
S
I wear ExtraTuf rubber boots.

Use them Commercial Fishing and hunting in soaking wet climates.

Bottom line my feet are dry at the end of most days.

Even with the Best of sock combos I can experience some slipping around in the boot with steep terain.

For this fall I'm hunting the dry side of Oregon for elk. Will be trying a set of Kenetreks.

SB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Danners Pronghorns! My feet never get wet & they are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned! You want regret buying them... Forget the Rubber or Pack boots. Most uncomfortable boots I have ever wore. Not worth a dang for climbing or sloshing through mud.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
SB, I predict you,re going to like the Kenetreks. I've got about 35 miles on a pair I got earlier this year and they were comfortable the first time I laced them up and have remained so. I did a 5 mile hike in varied terrain last weekend carrying a 40 lb pack and they worked well.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I agree with Mauser Hunter on the Meindl boots from Cabelas. I bought mine 16 years ago and have used them on sheep, goat, antelope, deer, elk and moose hunts here in Colorado as well as hunts in NWT and Alaska. Always kept me dry and have been a comfortable boot regardless of the terrain I was hunting. They provide great support for my ankles in very steep rocky country. I bought a new pair two years ago thinking I would eventually wear the old ones out. Well last night I finally got around to putting beeswax on the new ones and will probably use them this year on my elk hunt. The old pair is getting a little worn on the sole if I compare them to the new ones�.but I won�t retire them yet!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I've had excellent luck with Irish setters. I have a set of 200 gram with gore tex liners for walking and 1000 for deer stands. The 1000s are 8 years old and going strong. The 200s are about 4 and still hold back water. I do condition them often and make sure they are dried correctly. Quick drying in front of a fire place causes shrinkage and seams to be compromised. That's where leaks start.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rubber boots and slug guns. WTF??

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The closest I ever came to frostbite was by wearing rubber pacs. There was a foot of snow and I was climbing hard. The sun was out and it was maybe 40F. My feet got really sweaty inside the boots. Then a front came through and the temp dropped 20 degrees. My sweaty feet started getting too cold for comfort so I headed to the truck. By the time I got there, my feet were seriously cold and hurting badly. I won't wear all rubber again. I want something that will breathe.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Danner pronghorns, and schnee's cowboy pack for riding hunts, both with airbob style soles...
Have used the muckboots for around camp, and my feet flew (FLEW) out from under me several times on ice or snow packed to ice...

I ride mules, hunt every chance I can, and even take my husband with me!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (AlleghenyMountain, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 44mc, 2500HD, Amos63, 8 invisible), 1,654 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,677
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.