Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 981 of 1,842 1 2 979 980 981 982 983 1841 1842
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Thanks Jeff,

We got it handled. It wasn't a situation that I'd want my friends to be in anyway.
Understood, buddy. Just know the offer's always there.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We had a really nice weekend. I'd call it a grouse hunting and small projects combo weekend.

We got the the cabin Saturday morning and we learned that the flies are in full deer camp mode. Yep, its that time of the year where you visit your cabin to find that it's been taken over by black flies, yuck. With a combo of removing screens and simply letting the flies out along with many fly strips and a dust buster we got it under control. Pam started removing storm windows for the first time in 5 years so she could clean between the storms and regular windows. I began clearing a spot on the edge of the "yard" with the tractor. Between all these separate little tasks we found time to shoot a few birds (Ruffed grouse).

Here's one Pam got on Saturday.

[Linked Image]

I had bagged 3 sharp tail grouse earlier and had them prepped for a wild rice/grouse meal. We added a pair of ruffed grouse to the meal on Saturday. This was some really good stuff. We thought for sure we'd get visitors that we could feed, but nobody came out.

(cell phone pic)

[Linked Image]

Sunday morning came and the little hunter was ready to go at sunrise. So we got dressed and headed out down the trail as planned. Joe wanted to carry the 410 shotgun. I had my doubts about that, I had a nice little youth bolt action .22 for him to carry but he wanted the shotgun. I had him shoulder it and point it. It was pretty long for him but he seemed to be able to hold it pretty well regardless.

We didn't quite make it out of the sight of the cabin and I spotted a bird, pointed it out to Joe, helped him get his little shotgun snapped shut, hammer back, and told him to shoot when ever he's ready. The bird was standing on the ground 20 yds ahead of us, I covered it with a 20 gauge and waited for Joe to shoot.

BANG! Joe shot and he hit the bird!

That was a big deal, Joe's very first game animal. Got his first grouse, at age 8.

He couldn't wait to show his mom grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Joe and I continued our walk and managed to pick up one more bird. We returned to the cabin, had breakfast and then it was time to get back to work.

Pam painted the outside of the cabin door which was a burgundy/red color, she got brown paint to match the fascia. (looks way better now)

[Linked Image]

Us boys continued to work on the site we began clearing on Saturday. We figured it looked like a good spot for the sauna. Once we got the site cleared and fairly leveled we detached that 5 year old empty sauna frame from the cabin and moved it over to it's future location.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/album%202/IMG_7390.jpg[/img]

Those that know the camp will see pretty clearly by this shot where the sauna is going.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/album%202/IMG_7412.jpg[/img]

As I'm working on removing a joist from the cabin that belongs to the sauna frame, the boys found a grouse back in the tags behind the sauna site.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/album%202/IMG_7399.jpg[/img]

While we were playing in the dirt, Pam was painting the kitchen in the cabin.

It's just the first coat but it helped lighten it up in there already.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/album%202/IMG_7403.jpg[/img]

We planned for a deck out the front of the cabin, and sort of planned the layout for the sauna too.

We'll be busy with materials lists this week now, trying to figure out what we need for this deck and sauna project and seeing how much of it we can get done this fall yet.

I just love fall, fantastic weekend, can't wait till next weekend.

Actually we got 8 ruffed grouse total over the weekend, that isn't bad for the little effort we put into it.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Misc pics from the forest.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
[Linked Image]

That is one happy kid.
And Dad.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

[Linked Image]

an impressive weekend indeed, but I have to ask. In addtion to bagging his first grouse, did Joe also take that pickup for his first drive? Seems to be taking that right turn a might early... smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
grin

We had 2 old trucks out there again, I was in the black truck with Joe, no he wan't driving. I pulled to the right so Pam could have a shot at those deer with her camera.

I thought maybe she had the big 300mm lens on but she had the 24-105 on.

These roads can be a very pretty and scenic drive but it's so dangerously dry that all the leaves, grass and bushes are coated with gray road dust.

Forecast shows some rain on Wed, snow on thurs and friday.

Any kind of moisture will be very good, we're nervous about fires out in the forest, very nervous.

There will certainly be no bonfires at camp and hopefully no other camps until things get a LOT wetter out there.

It could rain for 2 weeks straight and I'd be fine with it.

It's way too dry. Water table is down 5 feet now.

It's out of reach for our sand point even.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never seen it this dry up here. No water to be found in the swamps. I've been helping a neighbor fight wildfires up here this fall. We can usually draft water from the low spots in the swamp but it's just powder. We were out on Saturday night with 3-4 tanker planes, 2 choppers, & a couple spotter planes. All the water for our rigs had to be hauled from town.

Even when I'm out with the excavator and dozer it is dry. Dry & HARD. Good year to get some of those wet jobs done but I sure get nervous being close to the grass & brush.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BrentD

[Linked Image]

an impressive weekend indeed, but I have to ask. In addtion to bagging his first grouse, did Joe also take that pickup for his first drive? Seems to be taking that right turn a might early... smile

I was sure Wheezy was driving again when I saw that pic! hahaha

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ryan,
To answer your question from way back, we have the Cabelas berber fleece camo for our boys and it is awesome. If you can wait til they go on sale, the price isnt bad and it works for everything.

Nice pics ND. I love the second one down, the one of the curve in the road. I can smell the leaves from here!

We worked on deer stands all weekend. I did sneak in a quick goose/duck hunt in before church on Sunday. This wasnt the normal place I go cuz my buddies wife was having a baby. How inconsiderate huh? Having a baby on a hunting weekend? the nerve! The place we went was good for some early wood duck shooting and I shot prolly the biggest, most impressive drake woodie I have ever seen. The geese were a no show.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It is incredibly dry here and I half expect to wake up one day to a foot of white stuff on the ground - not snow but popped corn. Farmers are racing to get the crop (what there is of it) in as fast as possible and we ae all hoping to avoid any disasterous fires. I'm amazed that this entire state isn't burned to crisp. My river that is usually running well enough to float flotillas of canoes, is right now, just a series of small, stagnant puddles.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

That was a big deal, Joe's very first game animal. Got his first grouse, at age 8.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Absolutely PRICELESS !!

Keep up the good Parenting.

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Absolutely PRICELESS !!

Keep up the good Parenting.

Paul.

I'm not sure who has the biggest smile but I bet I know who is the proudest !

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by fluffy
[Linked Image]

That is one happy kid.
And Dad.

That picture makes me think Dave's been cloned... Just print it out and scribble a little beard on the smaller version and you will see what I mean. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That smile on your son's face is priceless. I can't wait until my 4 year-old is a little bigger.

smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Its a good thing little joe shaved that day. We may not know whos who! Congrats joe! We will come for the details one evening. Missed u out thr friday.

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Rough sample of a new shirt/hoodie design.

[Linked Image]

Thoughts?

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It's got the 3 main forest creatures. Flying bear, swamp squid and chickenbuck.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin grin grinYESSSSSSSS!!!!!!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's got the 3 main forest creatures. Flying bear, swamp squid and chickenbuck.

Love it count me in!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am in for a hoodie.

Page 981 of 1,842 1 2 979 980 981 982 983 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 160user, 219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.