Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Mosby Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Took my 7 year old daughter out to shoot in the 3D League night tonight at the archery range. She's been shooting JOAD (Junior Olympic Archer Development) since January and doing extremely well. First time she's ever shot in a 3D league; 20 different targets at different ranges. She shot the entire course. The one problem is the sight on her bow will only adjust up to 25 yards, almost half the targets are further than 25 yards and some are even out at 45 yards. She shot the entire match and at the end when everyone was done, she got to move up 25 yards and re-shoot the long range targets. I really was amazed at how much encouragement she got from all of the other shooters there, she was the only kid. Most of the shooters were grizzled middle aged and older hard core hunters and they absolutely loved having my daughter out on the range with them offering encouragement and coaching whenever they could.

The course is challenging, the shots are not straight down range a lot of them are diagonal across the range which makes estimating distance even more difficult. It's a lot of fun, too much fun for daddy not to play and I may have to go shoot the next one. I'm just really proud of my daughter, she had a lot of fun, never got discouraged at her long range misses, and actually had the best shot out of her squad of 3 shooters on 2 of the targets on the course. Of course what I'm most proud of is that the big elk in the middle of the range, she can consistently make a heart shot on it!

The range setup

[Linked Image]

The Elk

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That brought a big smile to my face.

I think it's just awesome to watch kids enjoy the shooting sports. It's different somehow than any other pursuit. Maybe that's because it's an issue of personal skill and discipline.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thats really neat! Im trying to get my 9 yr old into shooting but the coordination and focus just isnt there yet. Maybe one day.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I used to do this stuff with my kids and a few of other people�s kids.

I miss it.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 3,008 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,753
Posts18,514,711
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.