24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
POL Offline OP
OP Offline
I am new to the site, but have been lurking for a while. What a great place to find just about anything you need for shooting or hunting!

My wife and I just moved to Western Germany 2 months ago from Pennsylvania. We are on a 12-18 month delegation for my work. I am an avid hunter and fisherman. I really never realized how much I enjoyed the outdoors until I left it all behind... I guess it doesnt help either that my family and friends are at home gearing up for the season and sending me pictures from their game cameras =)

Over the weekend, I stumbled across a hunting shop in Bocholt and met some really great guys in there. They invited me back on Thursday for an indoor air gun shoot. It seems like a good time, and I will be going back in a few days.

Can anyone offer any help or suggestions for things to do in the outdoors? Are their 3d archery courses in Germany? I do not know much about obtaining a hunting license here, but I have been told it is complex. Any input?

I have seen several treestands in the area, so I know there are some hunters out there.. If anyone is in the area and needs any help building or putting up one for the season, I would love to help

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
i am assuming you are not with the US military.

you will need to learn German and then spend the next year taking the course, pass a four part test, that you can fail because the proctor did not like the way you dress, did not say waidmannsheil, ect. there is a reason in this country there are only 300k hunters and 85 million people. ohh and expect to pay 1k-1500k euros

if your with the US military.

go to the local MWR and ask if they offer the course. takes about 4-6 months you have a 4 part test with the Germans(english allowed) and cost $150-250.

PS
we do not have treestands in germany. DAS IST VERBOTEN! what you see are either a leitter(spelling), hochsitz, or kanzel.Bows and arrows are kiddie toys. you cannot hunt with them.

source: i am in the last two weeks of hunting school.

EDIT: you can however be a beater/driver in drive hunts, they always need beaters.

Last edited by mossbergman; 10/02/12. Reason: forgot
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good to see ya again mossbergman! Good luck on the exams!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Good to see ya again mossbergman! Good luck on the exams!
lol i'm around everyday its just when at work the army it seems has found away to block me from logging in. probably did it because i'm air force, bastards.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The 2 big hunting stores there are Frankonia Jagd and Kettner's. Both are excellent for finding anything you need for hunting in Germany. Take the time to get your license - it is worth it.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are there working for the military, it is easy enough to get your license. All it takes is time. If not, it won't be easy getting it through the German government. How's your German? There are lots of hunting opportunities in Germany if you meet the right people.

Frankonia is a great store to look at some guns you don't see in the US often. Don't be surprised to see a few US guns there as well. http://www.frankonia.de/waffen/langwaffen/topcategory.html

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Get yourself over to the Jagd&Hund in Dortmund From 29 January to 3 February 2013. Its a fantastic show. I was there this year for the full week and will be doing next year aswel.
They have every thing todo with hunting, fishing etc .
Its well worth a visit.
Cheers,
Paul.

POL Offline OP
OP Offline
Great info. No, I am in the military. Since my delegation is only 12-18 months it does not look like I will be able to get my license in time. My German is coming along, we go to classes a few hours a week.

@mossbergman - yeah in hindsight, they werent treestands. They were free standing wooden huts. I see most of them on the edge of fields.

I checked out the Frankonia hunting sight. There is one in Dortmond, not far from here. Im looking to go this weekend to look around. Looks much larger than the one I visited in Bocholt.

Paul, I will look to attend that weekend! Thanks for the info.

Theres a person at work whose family hunts... maybe they will need some help this fall. My brief knowledge though from talking to her is that German is very traditional with their hunting. From the clothing, how the hunt, the gatherings afterwards, etc. I dont know though, thats just the impression I got. I offered my help, so we will see. Anything to get in the outdoors and to be involved would be great. I will talk to her again this week or next about offering to be a pusher/beater.. thanks for the info moss.

Last edited by POL; 10/03/12.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I loved hunting in Germany. There is a lot of traditions involved. I did it while I was in the military. I hope you get the opportunity.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by POL

Theres a person at work whose family hunts... maybe they will need some help this fall. My brief knowledge though from talking to her is that German is very traditional with their hunting. From the clothing, how the hunt, the gatherings afterwards, etc. I dont know though, thats just the impression I got. I offered my help, so we will see. Anything to get in the outdoors and to be involved would be great. I will talk to her again this week or next about offering to be a pusher/beater.. thanks for the info moss.

I never hunted with a German who wasn't very traditional, although I did see a few wear small amounts of camo. As an American, I would have never shown up for a hunt wearing camo or anything else not considered tradtional. Do not be the first person to leave the after hunt activities.

I'm sure they would love to have you out, just remember the tradtional is as important as the hunt.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Do not be the first person to leave the after hunt activities.

And make sure you're not the last person either grin

You are a bit far away from my place to get in touch with you directly, but like cmg and me there's a bunch of german hunters hanging around the campfire - feel free to ask whatever you need to know.

Dom Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
By all means you should get some traditional hunting clothes, green pants & a loden coat and participate even if as beater. If a drive hunt, which this sounds like, you will wear a blaze orange or yellow vest for safety.

And DO hang around and attend the Schuesseltreib, or as it is called the last drive, where you all gather at a Gasthof to partake in meal, drinks, and socializing! Enjoy your tour in Germany.

P.S. Those Hochsitz and Kanzels you notice on edges of fields are placed there to optimize available light for night hunting of Schwartzwild, or wild boar.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dom

P.S. Those Hochsitz and Kanzels you notice on edges of fields are placed there to optimize available light for night hunting of Schwartzwild, or wild boar.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

206 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 25 invisible), 2,199 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,879
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.