Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It seems that a lot of the archery hunters I've spoken to are seriously into archery hunting, so much so that they don't hunt with a rifle any more. They'll hunt just about anything they can with a bow, even turkey hunt as an example.

So I'm curious to hear your opinion. Do you also hunt with a rifle when firearm season rolls around or are you purely an archery hunter?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hunt with all, Bow, Handgun, Rifle, Muzzleloader.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bowhunting has been my passion for 35 years. I would be okay hunting only with a bow only if I lived in an area where hunting big game was "easy", but here it's not. I like to kill stuff too.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All but there is a certain adrenalin factor that makes hunting with a bow worth its while......

Only hunted with a compound so far, looking to get into recurve or long bow hunting just so I can say that I could.....

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You probably didn't see my Tennessee hog...

[Linked Image]

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I hunt with bow muzzleloader and rifle. If there was a season for Atlatl that gave me more days to hunt I would do that to. I just like to hunt.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ltppowell,

nice hog!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ltppowell
You probably didn't see my Tennessee hog...

[Linked Image]

Yes sticker of the pig....I did see your hog and the nice bow you were sporting also.....

You my friend are the one that has gave me the fever..... wink

Why are there no arrows in your quiver???? smile

Last edited by PAMac; 10/04/12.

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
another reason i'm looking into archery is that i'm in slug gun area and hate getting the snot kick out of me, lol!

Also the season runs longer as well.

Still not sure if archery/bow hunting is cheaper overall than rifle hunting?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I bowhunt simply for the extra time in the woods. One more week and then i can take the rifle

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by leomort
another reason i'm looking into archery is that i'm in slug gun area and hate getting the snot kick out of me, lol!

Also the season runs longer as well.

Still not sure if archery/bow hunting is cheaper overall than rifle hunting?

Archery is a return on investment, same as gun hunting. You don't need a $1K bow, but it will most likely be of better quality than a $300 starter. You don't need a $1K Zeiss, but it's probably going to last longer than a $100 Tasco. Bows do not hold the long term resale that firearms do. Ask any of these guys that have traded up bows in the last couple of years!

Arrows last longer now, but need replaced as they break, wear out, lost in the woods. Quality arrows cost money same as premium ammo.

I wouldn't consider archery cheaper, just different way of staying in the woods longer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the rush I get from bow hunting. It's all different when you have a deer 20 yards or less and you have to get drawn and make a shot. I will prolly hunt more with my bow this year than my rifle. That being said the farmers that allow me to hunt just want deer killed so Ill have to take rifle to help thin the herd some aswell.
A doe with my bow is more satisfying than a decent buck with my rifle

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PAMac
All but there is a certain adrenalin factor that makes hunting with a bow worth its while......

After shooting a few with a bow, rifle and muzzleloader don't get the adrenalin rushing any more. Shooting a deer with them is like shooting a paper target for me.

Now give me a bow and let one get inside 20 yards and I turn into a wreck.

I still hunt with them, because I like to eat venison and my odds of killing one with a bow aren't as good.

But bowhunting is where the adrenalin is at...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I rather have my bow in my hand than a firearm...

October 15th I am taking bow and rifle for deer hunting. If I get the chance I rather arrow my buck, but will use the rifle towards the end of the week.

In November I am taking the girlfriend turkey hunting, I will be using my bow and she a shotgun.

She does have a bow but does not have the passion for it like I do... That being said she did buy me this for my birthday
[Linked Image]

grin grin grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started bowhunting in my early teens to get the extra 6 weeks at the start of the season. Now I mostly bowhunt, especially if I'm tagged out buck wise and need to shoot does. There's not much to shooting does with a rifle and I really burned out on it trying to tag out all my management plan tags a few years in a row and having had a collection permit at one time.

Most places I hunt you can't see past 40 yards anyway. Favorite technique of mine is to get into the really thick stuff that you really can't even walk thru with kevlar chaps on and cut a tunnel in it with loping shears about 30 yards long paralell to an edge you know deer are using and sit at one end and wait for the deer to cross thru it. Often times I have found thru direct observation and camera use that deer will stack up in that lane no wider than a deer a good half an hour before going out to feed in a more open area before dark. It has been deadly effective about 10 yards inside of clearcuts that are getting head high adjacent to white oak flats when the acorns start dropping. Guy taught it to me about 25 years ago but I never really used it much until about 10 years ago.

Last edited by NathanL; 10/05/12.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bea175
I hunt with all, Bow, Handgun, Rifle, Muzzleloader.

^ This ^. + more time in the outdoors

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PAMac

Why are there no arrows in your quiver???? smile

The quiver has a cover on it!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Archery hunting is the best. Up close & very personal. Last year I killed two deer with the bow, then killed with the rifle, ML & handgun.

I enjoy all my days in the woods, regardless of the firearm in my hands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do both and I have the legal requirement to have a firearm in Africa with clients. However I don't mistake the term hunting for shooting.

Until your hunting involves actually hunting and being within the distances true archery hunting involves, it's mostly shooting by todays standards with the technology available.

I have some amazing firearms with reticles that let me shoot without holdover. Combined with a rangefinder,....it's much more shooting then hunting for me. I suppose if it's all you have ever done it seems like hunting but when you can see the eyelashes and smell the animal you see the difference in a 100-300-500 yard shot compared to a 10-25-35 yard shot.

My hunts with archery are my proudest hunts which required the greatest skill and the least margin of error.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rifle in rifle. ALWAYS!
I inherited most of my guns from my uncles who passed away or who don't hunt anymore and when I use their guns, that's my link to them and their memories.

Phil
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 51 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,670
Posts18,474,777
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.