-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For those of you guys headed into the hills soon, or those who are there in spirit.

FWIW, I only saw one cow this past week @ 9k and all the rest of the elk I saw were above 10k. This on the latitude of Pueblo Colorado.

GB1

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good work Evan. I knew you guy's where good, but I had no idea you had "cloaking" capabilities....

Did you kill either one of those elk?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No, I don't qualify for a resident tag for another handful of months, and I'm not paying for out of state tags! Season hasn't started yet either. The ~9 minutes of video I shot will be the only relic of this season. Sure made the pack out easy though.

It was windy enough up there that noise and scent weren't an issue. All it took was sitting still. The Mountain Serape may have helped with breaking up my outline as I sat in the middle of a grassy field, and it may not have. The fact that it was multicam may have helped, and it may not have. What is for sure is that the elk never even had an inkling I was anything but another bull. He was still screaming at me from a pocket of timber as I headed down the mountain after an evening and a morning of messing with him.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
No he's not good, he's just Grizzly Adams. Got a way of talking with animals and they trust him.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Elk and deer are funny animals, time and again I've seen them not able to figure out what I was wearing street clothes, then simply raise my hand and they run off.

I think it has a lot more to do with how a person is acting, are you acting like a predator or are you behaving yourself.

Beautiful country there Even, nicely done video.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good video, except the shot of the topo and GPS are out of focus, can you go back and tighten that up a little?

How do you like the Foretrex?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What smoke, casting around for someplace to go this weekend? ;-)

Foretrex used to do everything I needed to - give me a UTM coordinate I can plot on a paper map. Now I'm addicted to the mapping app on my smart phone with a gorgeous full color display and good usgs topo coverage I've loaded on there of most of the western united states. The Foretrex is now backup for times like this past week when my smartphone didn't survive the night and I lost the old ghost trail I was following down the mountain and got quite a ways off line.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does not appear your missing Oregon that much. Nice video

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by evanhill
.....I lost the old ghost trail I was following down the mountain and got quite a ways off line.

OK, thanks, I know exactly where that is. I can see how you got off line there, I almost did myself once. Almost.

G
gwl Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Nice job on the vid. I just found out you guys were here in Bend and I never knew it. I would have enjoyed meeting you guys. Hope life is good in col. My wife and I have thought of going there to check it out for a retirement location. Bend is nice but kind of limited. I have a good job here so I need to stay for awhile but retirement is only 7 years out.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Smoke, my initial thought was that I should always try to get you to come along so I can learn from a man of your... um... wisdom. Then it occurred to me that the best way for me to get an equal complement of wisdom is to make mistakes. Lots and lots and lots of mistakes :-)

GWL - My favorite fringe benefit of this new line of work is all of the great folks that I wouldn't have met otherwise. Sorry we missed you when we were local. If you head out this way, don't hesitate to drop a line. That goes for anyone passing by the Western Slope of CO.

As to missing Oregon. The parts of Oregon I liked the most were those that reminded me of Colorado -- but they tend to pale in comparison now that I'm back home. I think over time the things I'll miss are the ones that are for me exotic. The coastal range, fishing for (not catching) salmon and steelhead, occasional visits to the coast, the Columbia river gorge. The Owyhee country is really something too. Reminds me of West Texas. Now it's probably a toss up which of those two is closer.

I've got about 9 minutes of good footage of just the elk. I'll post it up later this week once I've had a chance to get it spliced together. If you like watching elk, you might appreciate it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Evan, when I was there last, and almost got turned around, I was six years old and had been drinking beer all day. Back then I didn't drink beer often, but when I did, it was Dos Equis.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
just the elk. 9 minutes worth. halfway through it switches to a closer vantage point.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Wow, thank you for sharing that. That was well put together I really enjoyed it.

Corey

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I wish I could disappear like that! Sure would help with stalking!

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (338reddog, 35, 01Foreman400, Big1bud, 10 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 774 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,875
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.