Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
For a newer gun, I�d say that 4� SP-101 would be very nice. For the ultimate, I�d have to go with the S&W Model 18; just doesn�t get any better. I have a 10 shot 4" S&W 617 and I absolutely love it, but it is a bit heavy.
I agree about the Ruger, it's an all-around winner. But as far as "ultimate" goes, for a gun that is apt to be knocked around a bit, I prefer a handgun with some heft, and fixed sights. For that reason I think the S&W Model 45, the 4-inch, fixed sight, .22 caliber version of Smith's venerable M&P/Model 10 edges out the Model 18 as the ultimate trail gun.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Damn, mt buck mark not only cycles well on remy's sub sonics, but the sucker is also accurate

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Writer
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
For a newer gun, I�d say that 4� SP-101 would be very nice. For the ultimate, I�d have to go with the S&W Model 18; just doesn�t get any better. I have a 10 shot 4" S&W 617 and I absolutely love it, but it is a bit heavy.
I agree about the Ruger, it's an all-around winner. But as far as "ultimate" goes, for a gun that is apt to be knocked around a bit, I prefer a handgun with some heft, and fixed sights. For that reason I think the S&W Model 45, the 4-inch, fixed sight, .22 caliber version of Smith's venerable M&P/Model 10 edges out the Model 18 as the ultimate trail gun.
Yeah, good luck finding one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kevin, I hear ya. It took me about six months to find one that I could afford (lots of holster wear, Pachmayr grips) -- I paid $650 plus shipping and transfer. What amazes me is that no one seems to offer a medium framed, fixed-sight, .22 caliber, DA revolver.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
OW..I think the reason no one offers a fixed sight medium frame .22 Long Rifle revolver is because they don't sell... I've had a couple of Colts, a Police Positive and I can't remember the other but had a hard time selling them. They are simply too big for the caliber and only good for target shooting..and for that one really needs adjustable sights.

S&W is currently making the 63 with 3" barrel, a 4" 18 and 6" 17. Also Taurus makes both small and medium frame .22 DA revolvers in several barrel lengths. Personally if one wanted a S&W I would look for a good used one. They can be had for $1-200 less than the new ones with the IL.

My favorite "trail" .22 would be a 63 I have that was also fitted with a .22 Magnum cylinder. Many people don't like the 317 Airlite but I have one that shoots great...you can loose it in a pocket is so light...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
S&W M-63.

[Linked Image]

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've grown rather fond of my K22.
[Linked Image]

Much as I like it though, I still miss my Dan Wesson 22.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
[Linked Image]

Ruger super singel 6 9.5 in barell verry nice pistol it cost a few $ but is was worth it, killed my first nusance mink today been killing my ant and unkels chickens and ducks my ant called and said I have it traped in the chicken coop and I cant figure out how to load your unckels pistol I said no broblem and I brought my own and it did the joob.

I don't feed em I eat em
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For woods carry, I am lucky that I have several choices. While the Model 17 is my favorite range .22, its weight and bulk make it unlikely I will be carrying it in the woods much. I love my 617s, but even the 4� is almost 40 oz. with the Hogue grips I have on it. My 317 has a stainless cylinder and weighs 18 oz. with the Pachmayr grips I have on it. Nice weight for carry, but a 3� barrel means the sight radius is a bit short for me for hitting anything at more than 10 yds. Same thing for the slightly heavier 3� 63, but the 5� 63 has enough sight radius so I can hit pretty well, and still weighs 30 oz. so it is easy to carry. It seems to have the best combination of characteristics for me for woods carry.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've carried this 34-1 at least a zillion miles by all manner of conveyance since the late 70s. It's got a wonderful trigger for a small revolver. You need to find one for yourself!!!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
How about a S&W Model 1? They sure are handy! laugh

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
How about a custom short tubed Single Six Bisley? grin

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Spotshooter,

Where will you be using your trail gun? On what do you anticipate using it?

I have done a lot of trail hiking in the Angeles National Forest -the nation's most dangerous- The Eastern Sierra at close around 10,000' elevation, and many Rocky Mountain states. If it is going to be your only weapon while trail hiking, you might want to reconsider caliber. A .22 LR has no applicability beyond small game. I cannot think of a more inferior bipedal self-defense weapon.

When I go to the Eastern Sierra or the Rockies I carry a .45 ACP with LE ammo. When I'm actually hunting with a rifle, I do not carry a handgun.

A game warden friend of mine who used to work for LA County Sheriff told me that I ought to carry at minimum a .357 Mag for trail use while fishing. The Eastern Sierra has a high density black bear population.

If you were to come across bipedal vermin while trail hiking and he's bend on robbing you, its' a good idea to assume he's going to kill you. Therefore, you'll need an adequate self-defense weapon.

Were I to venture into griz territory, I think I'd go .41 Rem Mag, or maybe a 10MM if I didn't have a rifle.

I used to own a 629 .44 Rem Mag. With stout magnum rounds it was a one and done handgun, meaning your first shot might be accurate. Because of substantial recoil, accurate follow-up shots are a prayer, especially at a fast charging bear. I'd rather have a .45 ACP with LE ammo that will accord me accurate follow up shots. 9 rounds of .45 ACP ammo with another mag of 8 more ought to do the trick.

But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

Best of luck to you,

R

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Bad experience ?

yes. the alignment must be more critical on a 22 revolver and they now cannot routinely meet the required tolerances, in all fairness I had a problem with a Bersa 22 as well and Smith handled their problems faster and more professionally. Smith took one of them back and gave me my money back, I traded the other one at a loss. Most people cannot shoot well enough to see the difference, its a blessing and a curse at times.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (204guy, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,303
Posts18,487,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.