Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JWP58
Is it just me or does it seem like october will never get here?

Rocky and Cookie feel the same way...

[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My German Shorthair is only allowed in the laundry room. If he got near the leather furnature we both would be skinned alive and hung out to dry. LOL

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 264wm
My German Shorthair is only allowed in the laundry room. If he got near the leather furnature we both would be skinned alive and hung out to dry. LOL

That's cuz he's a shorthair.

If he were a setter, he'd be worthy of the furniture. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by seattlesetters; 08/13/12.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Setters do have a better life. whistle

[Linked Image]

Molly fell asleep when the fishing shows came on after the bird hunting on The Outdoor Channel. tired

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great pics!

Anyone want to go bird hunting in the PNW with a neophyte and his young Griff pup, give a holler.

We are up for whatever. Chukar, pheas, grouse, duck, it don't matter. We are just excited to get out!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just thinking out loud.

A Wyominmg bird and antelope trip would be a helluva good time.

I'll have to see if its do-able.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Horrible pic, I know.

Catfish at a NAVHDA handlers clinic a couple weeks ago.

J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Well my first Chukar hunt was ended before it ever started due to a snowstorm.

I had a 4hr drive ahead of me, without the snow. I couldnt get over 55mph and the snow was picking up, so I decided to turn back home.

I'll have to wait one more weekend!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
JWP, We hunted the Basin..things seemed tough..no many chukars, but we are not great chukar hunters..killed one and four huns..

Molon Labe
J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I take it the Hun numbers are looking good?

I've heard of decent numbers, just very spotty. You're either in them or you arent.

I guess I'll find out next weekend. Hope to bag my first bird over my pup!

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
We saw some huns, several coveys and nice size, but the drought has hurt the cover..talking to the guys in the area, it seemed like we were lucky to hit the chukars, but we saw quite a few huns..came home last nite, and while out on coyote patrol this am, we spotted a bunch of canadian honkers..killed three with the BPS 10 ga. my little 4 mth. old golden was a hoot to watch deal with the geese..she did pretty good on other birds..except she ate one dove..have a good one..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our season opens Saturday next, but it is pretty moot. There was a Zero hatch, and many birds starved over the summer. There will be some areas where the birds will be wiped out this season. F&G doesn't care. They are most interested in paychecks and pensions and less interested in management.

Winter and late summer green-up, as well as plenty of grasshoppers are essential to our chuckar survival; we had almost no winter green-up and absolutely no summer green-up, so no grasshoppers or chuckar.

I'll take a few birds and concentrate on the quail this fall.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm assuming similar conditions in Central CA chukar areas this year, but haven't been able to do any scouting due to shoulder surgery this summer. We have quail in the no-hunting zones in Orange County, but they may be faring well because of artificial water sources. I'm taking my .410 (doctor approved) up north to find out next week....

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mesa,
You heading up to the eastern sierras for the opener?

Richard

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Our season opens Saturday next, but it is pretty moot. There was a Zero hatch, and many birds starved over the summer. There will be some areas where the birds will be wiped out this season. F&G doesn't care. They are most interested in paychecks and pensions and less interested in management.

Winter and late summer green-up, as well as plenty of grasshoppers are essential to our chuckar survival; we had almost no winter green-up and absolutely no summer green-up, so no grasshoppers or chuckar.

I'll take a few birds and concentrate on the quail this fall.
It might just be certain areas? Week before last I drove from Idaho down through Jarbidge and on to Elko. We saw a whole hell of a lot of chukars along the way and that was just from the road! I just wish the season would've been open...

It took most of the day, but we did scratch together two limits in Idaho.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're concentrated along roads where the little bit of rain ran off and made some grass grow. Up on the mountains, where I was all last week in that area, it is not very good. The few birds will concentrate at water and get slaughtered until it snows.

Also, I've seen enormous flocks of chuckar move from one area to another. They'll gather by the thousands and move across broad valleys from one range to another in search of forage.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Huntnnut, I avoid openers (except for bottle) in CA and any heavily populated state. So I'll probably go quail hunting over on the other side instead, then try over your way later. Since I'm on the restricted list, gunwise, I may skip chukars altogether this season, tho. Most of the shots I've had at them in the past weren't .410 shots, at least at my skill level. More comfortable with a 20 or 16 for those little jets.....

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 12344mag, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,824
Posts18,477,888
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.