Home
Posted By: JWP58 Any chukar hunters? - 05/20/12
This will be my first season chasing chukars aswell as my pup's first season hunting (brittany).

Any tips?
Posted By: lochsa Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/21/12

early season can be great. the birds are concentrated near water but it can be hot. hunt early and bring lots of water for the dog. watch for snakes.

don't bother hunting if it's raining. just my experience, i've never had good luck during wet weather.

try to locate birds and get above them. if coming up from below, birds will out climb you and fly before you get in range.

hunting after a snow storm is the best. birds hold tight and you can track them.

if hunting in windy conditions, the birds will hold in pockets on the lee side of ridges.

make sure your brittany is in good shape and has tough pads. chukar country will cripple a dog that isn't in shape.
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/21/12
Thanks for the helpful info. I hope to be out after sharptails before chukar season opens. Not that open grassland will be anything like the terrain chukar hangout it, but he wont be too fat by then lol.

I'll probably invest in some boots for him just incase.

I'm not expecting much, except a HUGE learning curve. Thanks again.
Posted By: Reba Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/21/12
If you're from Wyoming you should also hunt Sage Chickens. They are great for young dogs.

I start in Wyoming for Chickens in September. The move west into Idaho, Oregon and Nevada for chukar, quail and Huns.

I usually hunt until just before Christmas.

Booting a dog is not a simple task. All our dogs a conditioned and tuff, so we don't have to boot.

Rattle snakes can be terrible in chuker country. You need a hard freeze to keep them down. Don't go until then.
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/21/12
Oh ya, i hope to locate some sage grouse too.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/22/12
Originally Posted by lochsa

early season can be great. the birds are concentrated near water but it can be hot. hunt early and bring lots of water for the dog. watch for snakes.

don't bother hunting if it's raining. just my experience, i've never had good luck during wet weather.

try to locate birds and get above them. if coming up from below, birds will out climb you and fly before you get in range.

hunting after a snow storm is the best. birds hold tight and you can track them.

if hunting in windy conditions, the birds will hold in pockets on the lee side of ridges.

make sure your brittany is in good shape and has tough pads. chukar country will cripple a dog that isn't in shape.

...what he said...

I've hunted them for a few years. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/22/12
Awesome pics! I'm getting pumped just to go scout.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/22/12
Run your dogs on gravel for a few weeks before the season. I have seen a few dogs packed off the mountain due to tender foot. Have a way to pick quills too, here cactus and chukar are in bed together. Often you are conditioned to give the bird a second to get yourself shot ready.....a whole covey of chukar will fly 43 miles in one second.....if your dog says a bird is here.....believe it and be ready.

And pack more water than you need, the dogs will lighten your pack in short order.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/22/12
Great tips! cool

I keep my dogs in a kennel on pea-gravel year around to keep their feet tough. I still get cases of sore feet. Be real sure to check their feet OFTEN during the day.

You can't carry too much water in early season, either.

And...don't try to outrun chuckar up hill. They'll win, and you'll hate them even more. We call chuckar hunting "vendetta". grin
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/22/12
[Linked Image]
I love to chase the red legged devils...

The dog and I are getting old and fat not chasing them as much as we used to. Kids and distance have changed things.

I'd steer clear of the dog boots. I've been known to use vetwrap on the lower legs where the rocks tear and scrape. Definitely work the feet and look into Tuf-foot.

Best advice... don't start! You won't be able to get it out of your system grin
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/23/12
And if you don't have at least one classic SxS.....might as well figure that in too.
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/23/12
Im working on the SxS part. DT's w/ english stock. Not a classic though....to rich for my blood. A Huglu or Akus will have to do lol.

Besides, i thought most chukar hunters carried Semi's anyway?
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/23/12
I carry a double O/U and wish I had a lightweight semi 20 like an AL48 or Montefeltro with and extended tube. If you hike that hard two shots can make you feel lame.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/23/12
I hunt them little bastids with a light o/u 12.
It's a good time but aggravating at times.

I always say guys hunt chukars the first time either because they are naive or crazy. Everytime after that is to get revenge.

I love em
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/23/12
If you have time to get three shots off.....well, you can't.

I wish I had some field pics of this day, but it was about 10* blowing hard with near blinding snow.....and one of my few limit on chukar days.

[Linked Image]
I have a Fox side by side, but a good pump is my choice for all upland game...as sure as you open a double to reload, birds will fly...it happens every time...
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/24/12
Originally Posted by high_country_
If you have time to get three shots off.....well, you can't.

I wish I had some field pics of this day, but it was about 10* blowing hard with near blinding snow.....and one of my few limit on chukar days.

[Linked Image]

"Double" Cool! cool cool

You did it the right way. wink
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/27/12
Hmmm well i went and did it. I went and looked at a Benelli Ultra Light. WOW. Lightest 12ga i've ever handled, and it shouldered like a dream. The price tag is another story though...

Anyone have experience with the Franchi I-12 Upland, Affinity, or BUL?? I'm thinking a light semi-auto is the way to go for a "do all" upland gun.
Posted By: Reba Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/27/12
Unless you are going for water foul, get a 20 ga.............

Benelli is worth the price!
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/27/12
Why go 20ga if you can get a 6.4lb 12ga? That gives you the payload of a 12ga in a gun that feels like a 20ga.

Is there something i'm missing?
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/27/12
Originally Posted by JWP58

number and weight of those shells in your vest...

pointed chucker don't need a 12 ga to be killed
When you buy good 20ga. shells you will be missing a pile of money...you can get good 12 ga. shells cheaper...you can load a 12 down but it doesnt work the other way...I would start will a good 12 then pick up a 20 ga...I have several 20 s, but seldom use them on a trip....the 12 is more versital no matter how you cut it..
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/28/12
Hmmm. Well i just did the ol' which feels heavier. A box of 2.75 no.7 12ga or a box of 2.75 no.6 20ga. Doing it blind folded i actually picked the 20ga's as being heavier. Not much science behind the test, but percieved weight is what its all about right?

I know a 12 isnt needed, and i'm not against a 20ga. But why not if you get a 12 without lugging around a heavy gun. I could always down load on shot size/weight. A 20ga Montefeltro would be nice too.

I guess the debate could go on forever lol
Posted By: ribka Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/28/12
I have a few nice sxs's but do not take them chukar hunting. I hunt on very steep and loose basalt areas and I tend to fall down quite a bit. My shotgun gets dinged up a lot. I bring a collapsable hiking pole for the more treacherous areas. I bring a good pair of binos and listen for their calls.

I try to get me and the dog above them and hunt from above. I prefer a 12 gauge with high brass 4 shot. better when there is a little snow.

A month before season hike in rocky areas so his feet toughen up.

A lot of fun and a very good work out

Posted By: high_country_ Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/29/12
I personally tend to use a 16ga SxS often, but will hunt 12's and 20's also. I agree that a pointed chukar is not particularly hard to kill, but one thing for sure, its about the only chukar to kill. A jumped covey can make a man poor on shells, morale and confidence.
Posted By: ScottM Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/30/12
This is great. Its good to know there are others who "suffer" through chukar season. wink

Just thought I'd document some of my chukar evolution because it always help me to learn what others are doing.

After trying all sorts I am currently settled in with the little remington LT 20. I have used a twenty for two seasons and see no reason to go back to twelves. YMMV. I enjoy carrying it and when I go down its no big deal. I don't feel the same when I slide down a scree field with my superposed or 686.

I buy mountaineering boots with scree gaurds. A well thought out bird vest that allows plenty of water storage. Think ahead of anything that will save your dog from stress or literal danger. I've had mine snake bit, caught in both snares and leghold traps, pulled porquipine quills, and suffered from dehydration. Now I hope I'm ready for anything although I'll just say good luck on the raw paw problem. I use split bike tubes and trainers tape.

Anyway, in short. Take your time. Trust your dogs nose. Don't get too cocky. Nothing can humble you like an "easy" covey. And when you miss that "gimme", make sure no women or children are within earshot.

And at last. Savor every bite.

Good luck,

Scott

PS..this certainly wasn't meant to be a know-it-all rant. I just love hunting the little buggers. Interestingly enough, although I'm sure they exist, I've never seen an down in the dumps chukar hunter. "Optimism: it's a disease!" grin

Posted By: JWP58 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/30/12
Great info! Keep it coming.

I really want a nice SxS, but i keep hearing horror stories about people falling and busting up guns. But a Smith&Wesson Elite is at the top of my list as far as SxS go (CZ's coming in second). But then theres the CZ Upland Ultralight. 12ga 6lb O/U that would be great for chukars...
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/30/12
Why go 20ga if you can get a 6.4lb 12ga? That gives you the payload of a 12ga in a gun that feels like a 20ga.

Yep...you are.

My late father shot more chuckar than anyone else I know, and I live in a chuckar hunter's State. He used a 20ga Superposed 26" IC/MOD from 1958 until he had to quit hunting in 1999, due to his health. He shot over good dogs and loved the "sport" of it all. He didn't mind plates full of chuckar, either. wink

I use different guns, depending on the time of the season. I hunt with his old 20ga early and use several 16ga SXS guns, too. As the birds get bigger with more dense feathers and are wilder later in the season, I opt for 12ga SXSs and a vintage Winlite Mdl 59 12ga I got from JB a few years ago. That Winchester had late season chuckar written all over it! laugh laugh

I also use a sling of some sort on all of my chuckar guns. There can be a lot of "on-all-fours" involved in getting to the birds. A sling is invaluable.

I probably shouldn't mention using scoped drillings with 22mag insert barrels, so I won't. whistle whistle
Posted By: ribka Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/30/12
x 2 sling. Do not head out for Chukar without a sling
Posted By: mw406 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/31/12
I'm a dyed in the wool classic doubles guy when it comes to hunting upland birds, except chukar. I learned that lesson shall we say, the hard way. I now use what we refer to around my house as "the machine gun". It's a 20 ga Beretta Urika 2 youth model auto. I added about 1.5" of spacers to the recoil pad and it fits fine. The gun was light at the muzzle so I added lead weights to the end of the magazine tube just under the end cap. Works good, and I have to say that having more than 2 shots has paid off a time or two.

This is no place for a gun you don't want "ruined".
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/31/12
Thats great looking Britt!
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/31/12
[Linked Image]

Since I was a kid...
Posted By: Reba Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/31/12
I started hunting chukar with a 12 ga A5 and a sling was welcome.

For several years I have been using a Benelli M4 20 ga that weights less than 6 pounds. No sling required. I like 1 oz of #6's.

The weight difference means I carry more water for my dogs.

The recoil is less so follow up shots are easier.

My main hunting partner shoots a 28 ga on chukar and gets as many as anyone.
Posted By: mohave_mauler1 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 05/31/12
Hunt downhill if you can. They might still be there when u get to the top but its a long [bleep] walk either way Dont miss, you might not get another shot all day. Cuss all you want, the dog dont care.
Posted By: DonFischer Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/03/12
I started out with a Charles Daly 12ga SxS. Used 1 1/8oz of #7 shot. Changed to 1 1/8os #6 shot. #6 is a whole lot better on the pheasants we'd find. From that I went to an AyA 12ga, then to an AyA 16 ga and now most of my huntinf is done with a AyA 28 ga. use 3/4 oz of 7 1/2 shot. I don't shoot at pheasant's found while using the 28 ga. Shot is a bit to small and load a bit light for than.
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/05/12
Thanks for all the "inside info"! I doubt i'll bag many this year, but i'll give'em hell for sure.

I think i've settled on my "chukar gun". A CZ Upland Ultralight 6.0lb 12ga O/U, not very pretty but it fits me really well and balances great. I wont cry if i ding or drop it either.

Recoil will be an issue, but i think if i stick with 1oz loads it wont be too bad.
Not mine but my Brittany pup 1st yr this yr too

Here she is 7 weeks
[Linked Image]

Training at 4 months old pointing pigeon
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fishnfowler Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/05/12
A SxS is the right medicine for chukar.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They like to live in steep places.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They taste good:

[Linked Image]

They are beautiful:

[Linked Image]

Chukar hunting is fun:

[img]http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww184/Fishnfowler/huntsalmon2010150.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww184/Fishnfowler/Found_that_coat.jpg[/img]
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/08/12
When would be a good time pre-season to go scouting for birds?
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/08/12
Just before the opener. Chuckar sometimes gather into flocks of 500 to 2,000 birds and go on mass migrations. This is often caused by lack of food. It isn't uncommon for our birds here in NV to starve in summertime. If the spring rains don't come, and this is relatively often, there is nothing to eat by late July.

I once drove into a mass migration the day before the opener. The valley was crawling with birds, as they crossed from one mountain range to another. It was the last Saturday of September, back when we opened the season that day. There were so many birds the dogs were goofy and confused.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/08/12
Great pics! cool

Is that boxlock double with the chuckar hanging and the two birds on the top in the other photo a French Robust?
Posted By: Reba Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/08/12
Scouting for chukar.

It may be useless, because they tend to move throughout the season depending on the weather, water and feed.

This past season I was out everday for two months. Sometime they were where they weren't and sometimes the weren't where they was.

Such as: The honey holes were dry and the less expected spots were full and then the weather would cause a flip flop. I try and hunt a different location every day and I find birds where most would never hunt. Some folks just pound one area until there aren't enough birds left to reproduce. That is why I don't shoot into coveys of five birds or less.
Love hunting chukars. This one was in the Middle Fork of the Salmon. No dog on this trip but managed to get 8 in the week I floated, fished, and hunted. Hard work but well worth it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fishnfowler Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/09/12
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Great pics! cool

Is that boxlock double with the chuckar hanging and the two birds on the top in the other photo a French Robust?

No, the first one is an extinct Spanish maker, Jesus Irazabal.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The second is an Uggie.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mesa Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/09/12
I used to hunt chukars every season in the Snake River Breaks in Eastern Washington and in some of the big canyons in Asotin County "between" OR and ID. Still hunt them in Central California but have slowed down due to advanced age.

We had several sayings about chukar hunters, you probably all know them:

"You hunt chukars for FUN once. Every other time is for REVENGE."

"The ideal chukar gun would be a .410....IF you just could lose the .4 and keep the 10 when you find birds."

"You can tell a chukar hunter by his big thighs and small brain."

I always hunt with a double and fall down frequently. The only problem with that is you try to protect the shotgun and end up racking yourself up instead of the gun. I'm going in for a shoulder rebuild and will probably miss the early season while recovering. Reason? Bad fall while chukar hunting in Kern County CA.

(The double is fine, by the way....nice of you to ask!).

Happy obsessing, and good luck to all! Have a bundle of chuk-chuk-chuks!
Posted By: ribka Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/10/12
I have broken stocks on 2 nice sxs's falling on basalt chasing these devils.

I carry a beat up 870 now with a sling.I must be getting clumsy or old.
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/17/12
Picked up my new Chukar gun. CZ Upland Ultralight. So pumped about this coming fall....
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/18/12
cool cool

Two Cool!

I just looked them up. 6 pounds and SS Trigger with extractors and manual safety. This is my idea of a CHUCKAR GUN!!! laugh

www.cz-usa.com/products/view/upland-ultralight/
Posted By: FredWillis Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/18/12
I have been stupid enough to hunt chukars for over 30 years. Now I am too damned old to climb the hills. It seems like some of you are a little behind times. Making a statement that two shells is enough puts you in that position.

I have known and hunted with many chukar hunters that think nothing of shooting triples and are/were capable of killing a limit in the morning. Some of those guys are now dead or too old to climb and hunt anymore.

I hunted E. Oregon all those years and shot many different shotguns. I finally settled on a Benelli Ultra Lite in 12 ga. I have for years shot 1 1/8 of #5 shot and found it predictably reliable. The last year we hunted, on public ground, our crew shot 85 birds the first day. No one shot over their limit.

These guys learned how to hunt chukars. If you pay attention, you will find that most chukars will find a certain level on a given day. Most coveys will be at that level. It might be at the top of the mountain or part way down. Sometimes it is a pain to find them. This post is not meant as a criticism, but to clear up some issues.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/18/12
Fred,

I am proud to be behind times that stress the biggest, the most, and filled limits. This was the case ahead of my time, was secondary for most of my 57 years hunting chuckar, but is again the norm, it seems.

I also see wisdom in a light semi with 3-5 shots on top of a chuckar mountain! wink There are days when only one or two opportunities present themselves, and having a third shot is awfully valuable. I carry my Mdl 59 Winlite those days. whistle grin
Posted By: FredWillis Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/19/12
luv2safari

Usually the only people that complain of others shooting a limit are either not good shots or can't get around the hills. Present company excluded, I presume.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/19/12
You presume right, and I shoot plenty of birds with a 20ga O/U IC/Mod or a 16 SXS over my dogs. The dogs make me look good. blush wink

After I had my back broken the hills got to be about twice as steep and three times higher, however. Getting old and fat has nothing to do with anything. whistle whistle

Posted By: Fishnfowler Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/19/12
Originally Posted by FredWillis
I have been stupid enough to hunt chukars for over 30 years. Now I am too damned old to climb the hills. It seems like some of you are a little behind times. Making a statement that two shells is enough puts you in that position.

I have known and hunted with many chukar hunters that think nothing of shooting triples and are/were capable of killing a limit in the morning. Some of those guys are now dead or too old to climb and hunt anymore.

I hunted E. Oregon all those years and shot many different shotguns. I finally settled on a Benelli Ultra Lite in 12 ga. I have for years shot 1 1/8 of #5 shot and found it predictably reliable. The last year we hunted, on public ground, our crew shot 85 birds the first day. No one shot over their limit.

These guys learned how to hunt chukars. If you pay attention, you will find that most chukars will find a certain level on a given day. Most coveys will be at that level. It might be at the top of the mountain or part way down. Sometimes it is a pain to find them. This post is not meant as a criticism, but to clear up some issues.

I'll bite, its been a few months since the last chukar and that probably has me surly. I shot my first chukar 36 years ago. I've taken plenty of repeaters into the chukar hills and had a time when I thought it was necessary to have 5 shots. That time passed.

[Linked Image]

I've also taken triples on a staggered covey rise without moving many times with a repeater and a double. I've done it more often with a double.

I've put plenty of limits in the bag with two shots at a go. I've noticed that guys who dis doubles generally think that more lead in the air means more birds in the bag. If shooting two shells at a time means I'm "behind the times," I'm glad to wear that title. It seems to me that as I mature it isn't the destination, but the journey that brings meaning to my life. Shoot what you want, but spare me the clarification of the issues.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FredWillis Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/19/12
Fishfowler

Sounds kind of like a reformed alcoholic, only a hunter. I guess my question is, Why would anyone risk a nice double or O/U in the chukar hills, when one can use a throw away auto or pump? It is not a question if you are going to fall, only when.

By the way, I never did see a need to have 5 shell capacity and besides, it is against the law in Oregon.

In our chukar camps, the only guys we encounter with doubles are eastern hunters, coming west. Maybe the oregon shooters catch on quicker.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/19/12
Funny...in our camps we almost never see autos or pumps. I guess it all adds up to taste and sometimes good help. wink

I don't buy my doubles for them to stay home and be pampered. I buy them to use.

The guy who took the photos chose to hunt off away from the dogs and used a Browning A5 Light 12. He got two of these birds. He also took one of my pups a year later and loves to watch his dog work as much or more than shooting a lot of birds. He still loves that great old Light 12, too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Why own it if you can't shoot it and hunt it like it was made to do? I know more then a few fella's from out west that chase chukar with doubles.
Posted By: Fishnfowler Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/20/12
Originally Posted by FredWillis
Fishfowler

Sounds kind of like a reformed alcoholic, only a hunter. I guess my question is, Why would anyone risk a nice double or O/U in the chukar hills, when one can use a throw away auto or pump? It is not a question if you are going to fall, only when.

By the way, I never did see a need to have 5 shell capacity and besides, it is against the law in Oregon.

In our chukar camps, the only guys we encounter with doubles are eastern hunters, coming west. Maybe the oregon shooters catch on quicker.

I grew up in Idaho, since I'm in WA now, I guess I could be accused of being an Easterner. I'm with you on risking fine doubles in the chukar hills.

I've found that the Spaniards make the best chukar guns and have several from various manufacturers. They won't win any beauty contests, but I won't lose any sleep if I fall on them or drop them off a cliff.

I'm not sure about the reformed alcoholic thing, but will take it as a compliment, (except I'm not reformed in hunting or drinking).

In our chukar camps we prefer doubles, maybe the Oregon guys haven't figured it out yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Mesa Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/24/12
Fishnfowler, great pix--that's Chukarland. all right! So where'd that dang Hun come from? Musta been a wheat field up there someplace! (We used to get "mixed flushes" sometimes when a wheatfield bordered a canyon.)

Huns are purty--and purty stringy. I bone 'em, cook long and slow, add salsa brava with extra onions, wrap in fresh corn tortilla, cover with enchilada sauce. put queso blanco on top, bake until melted. I use that formula for Huns and all of the phez and chukar meat except the breast meat. Save those legs, wings. backs, and necks up, and steam the meat off the bones to speed up the process and lose any stray shot. Freeze the enchiladas we don't eat the first night for later.

If you ever need to eat a jackrabbit. the recipe works for them, too. Just cook longer....the guy that taught me this insisted on adding chopped nopales to the salsa. Take the stickers off carefully, if your using wild 'uns tho.

i
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/29/12
Dont know if i already asked this question, but oh well.

So as far as telling what land is what (BLM, State, private)would gps be the easiest?

Just get an Astro for the pup and a maps card?
Posted By: 264wm Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/30/12
I started hunting chuckers back in the 50's with a J.C. Higgins single shot break and usually could get off 2 and some times 3 shots so a good double gunner should get 4 shots. But then I don't move so fast now days so its a Remington 1100 I perfer. It has been many years sense I have hunted Chuckers but this year I will be seeing how my German Shorthair will take to them as I moved to a area where I can hear them cackling. I think that anyone that loves to chase birds in chucker terrain can use any shot gun configuration he chooses as long as it is legal.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Any chukar hunters? - 06/30/12
My Marine son has heard chukars laughing in Southern Afghanistan. He believes they favor the Taliban.....GET KILLIN', GUYS!
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/02/12
He's right, I was on patrol with a PRT in Zabul in 2009, found a chukar in cage for sale in the local market. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/03/12
I remember as a small child meeting Nevada F&G people who went there in the 1930s to study chuckar and bring some back. It was in Pakistan, on the border. They had worked hard over the years to get the birds established and distributed.

I always wanted to hunt them in those regions, and I wanted to hunt pheasants in Korea.

I'll settle for NV, ID OR and S Dakota now. whistle
This will be my first season chasing chukars aswell as my pup's first season hunting (brittany).

Any tips?

Depending on where you'll be hunting them, you might consider having your friends and family stage an intervention.

They tried with me, but it didn't take.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/03/12
Wish we could put all the Taliban in cages and let all the chukars out! (My son's S&S platoon had a quail and a dwarf mongoose for pets).

If you've hunted in high altitude chukar country like in NV and ID, you get some inkling of what fighting in Afghanistan might be like....but how many of us could carry 100+ pounds of body armor and other crap? I don't carry one extra ounce if I can help it! As many casualties from falls and river crossings as enemy action. "No country for old men" indeed.
Love chasing these dang feathered fellows I will be out a lot this winter with my new pup

[Linked Image]
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/04/12
I notice a double with a sling and an attitude by the hunter.

Classic Chuckar Hunter! grin cool
Posted By: Fishnfowler Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/05/12
Dont know if i already asked this question, but oh well.

So as far as telling what land is what (BLM, State, private)would gps be the easiest?

Just get an Astro for the pup and a maps card?

I start with maps and internet searching before I ever leave home. When I have boots on the ground, I confirm my location to avoid crossing a boundary. I do have an Astro with free maps that show surface ownership, but it has never made a difference, or shown me where I am. With chukar hunting, drainages are never in doubt, and the topography is so steep and open that knowing where you are isn't an issue. You can download surface ownership maps off the net for free, or buy them from the BLM. I bought the entire states of WY, ID, OR, and WA years ago in surface ownership topo maps and along with my mapping software, I pretty much know exactly where I am headed before I ever leave home. Good luck to you. FWIW, it has been my experience that chukar generally inhabit land that nobody wants for anything.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/05/12
Fishnfowler, that looks a whole lot like a drainage in the Blue Mountains that we hunt deer, turkey, chukar, quail and pheasant in.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/05/12
Looks like a hunk of Asotin County, WA (near the Blues) to me.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/05/12
Wherever it is, it sure is great looking country! cool
Posted By: seattlesetters Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/15/12
I'm late to this thread and really can't add on to what others have said. I can only share my addiction with a few photos. Enjoy ...

My dear Misty. RIP.
[Linked Image]

Flash is on point in this pic. Good luck finding him.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Early-season honey hole.
[Linked Image]

Wyatt is on point in this pic.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kinsey: RIP
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/24426Ruffian_1.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/24426flash_huns.JPG[/img]

Holly:
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/24426Holly_1.jpg[/img]

Wyatt:
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/24426Wyatt.JPG[/img]

Posted By: seattlesetters Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/15/12
A few more ...

Josie: RIP
[Linked Image]

More Josie:
[Linked Image]

Flash
[Linked Image]

Chloe at around five months of age,
[Linked Image]

The beauty of Gem.
[Linked Image]

The Grand Master: Flash
[Linked Image]

More Flash:
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/24426Flash_on_point_2.jpg[/img]

Working a pup in "The Big Country"
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/24426BennyMark-1.JPG[/img]

More of the Master.
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/24426Flash_Quilomene.JPG[/img]

Our formidable quarry, and a 6lb 2oz 12-bore. It doesn't get any better than this:
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/24426chukar.JPG[/img]
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/15/12
Dang, those are some great pictures with some beautiful dogs!! I envy you.

Well i got my shotgun (12ga CZ Upland Ultralight), and now im about to buy a garmin astro.

Then i'll pickup the camping supplies, since i plan on camping out on my chukar hunts (if at all possible).
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/15/12
GOD! I Love Setter-Porn!!! laugh cool
Posted By: Fishnfowler Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/18/12
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Fishnfowler, that looks a whole lot like a drainage in the Blue Mountains that we hunt deer, turkey, chukar, quail and pheasant in.

Nah, wrong state.
Posted By: 264wm Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/20/12
Looks like the Colockum great pictures.
Posted By: seattlesetters Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/21/12
Good eye. A few were taken in the Quilomene, as well.
Posted By: 264wm Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/23/12
Mostly hunted elK, deer and grouse up there and cut fire wood higher up. Lived in Wenatchee years ago
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/29/12
Is it just me or does it seem like october will never get here?
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/30/12
Is it just me or does it seem like october will never get here?

Rocky and Cookie feel the same way...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 264wm Re: Any chukar hunters? - 07/30/12
My German Shorthair is only allowed in the laundry room. If he got near the leather furnature we both would be skinned alive and hung out to dry. LOL
Posted By: seattlesetters Re: Any chukar hunters? - 08/13/12
Originally Posted by 264wm
My German Shorthair is only allowed in the laundry room. If he got near the leather furnature we both would be skinned alive and hung out to dry. LOL

That's cuz he's a shorthair.

If he were a setter, he'd be worthy of the furniture. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 08/13/12
Setters do have a better life. whistle

[Linked Image]

Molly fell asleep when the fishing shows came on after the bird hunting on The Outdoor Channel. tired
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Any chukar hunters? - 08/15/12
Great pics!

Anyone want to go bird hunting in the PNW with a neophyte and his young Griff pup, give a holler.

We are up for whatever. Chukar, pheas, grouse, duck, it don't matter. We are just excited to get out!

Just thinking out loud.

A Wyominmg bird and antelope trip would be a helluva good time.

I'll have to see if its do-able.
[Linked Image]

Horrible pic, I know.

Catfish at a NAVHDA handlers clinic a couple weeks ago.
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 10/07/12
Well my first Chukar hunt was ended before it ever started due to a snowstorm.

I had a 4hr drive ahead of me, without the snow. I couldnt get over 55mph and the snow was picking up, so I decided to turn back home.

I'll have to wait one more weekend!
JWP, We hunted the Basin..things seemed tough..no many chukars, but we are not great chukar hunters..killed one and four huns..
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Any chukar hunters? - 10/07/12
I take it the Hun numbers are looking good?

I've heard of decent numbers, just very spotty. You're either in them or you arent.

I guess I'll find out next weekend. Hope to bag my first bird over my pup!
We saw some huns, several coveys and nice size, but the drought has hurt the cover..talking to the guys in the area, it seemed like we were lucky to hit the chukars, but we saw quite a few huns..came home last nite, and while out on coyote patrol this am, we spotted a bunch of canadian honkers..killed three with the BPS 10 ga. my little 4 mth. old golden was a hoot to watch deal with the geese..she did pretty good on other birds..except she ate one dove..have a good one..
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 10/08/12
Our season opens Saturday next, but it is pretty moot. There was a Zero hatch, and many birds starved over the summer. There will be some areas where the birds will be wiped out this season. F&G doesn't care. They are most interested in paychecks and pensions and less interested in management.

Winter and late summer green-up, as well as plenty of grasshoppers are essential to our chuckar survival; we had almost no winter green-up and absolutely no summer green-up, so no grasshoppers or chuckar.

I'll take a few birds and concentrate on the quail this fall.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Any chukar hunters? - 10/08/12
I'm assuming similar conditions in Central CA chukar areas this year, but haven't been able to do any scouting due to shoulder surgery this summer. We have quail in the no-hunting zones in Orange County, but they may be faring well because of artificial water sources. I'm taking my .410 (doctor approved) up north to find out next week....
Posted By: hntnnut Re: Any chukar hunters? - 10/09/12
Mesa,
You heading up to the eastern sierras for the opener?

Richard
Posted By: pointer Re: Any chukar hunters? - 10/09/12
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Our season opens Saturday next, but it is pretty moot. There was a Zero hatch, and many birds starved over the summer. There will be some areas where the birds will be wiped out this season. F&G doesn't care. They are most interested in paychecks and pensions and less interested in management.

Winter and late summer green-up, as well as plenty of grasshoppers are essential to our chuckar survival; we had almost no winter green-up and absolutely no summer green-up, so no grasshoppers or chuckar.

I'll take a few birds and concentrate on the quail this fall.
It might just be certain areas? Week before last I drove from Idaho down through Jarbidge and on to Elko. We saw a whole hell of a lot of chukars along the way and that was just from the road! I just wish the season would've been open...

It took most of the day, but we did scratch together two limits in Idaho.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any chukar hunters? - 10/10/12
They're concentrated along roads where the little bit of rain ran off and made some grass grow. Up on the mountains, where I was all last week in that area, it is not very good. The few birds will concentrate at water and get slaughtered until it snows.

Also, I've seen enormous flocks of chuckar move from one area to another. They'll gather by the thousands and move across broad valleys from one range to another in search of forage.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Any chukar hunters? - 10/10/12
Huntnnut, I avoid openers (except for bottle) in CA and any heavily populated state. So I'll probably go quail hunting over on the other side instead, then try over your way later. Since I'm on the restricted list, gunwise, I may skip chukars altogether this season, tho. Most of the shots I've had at them in the past weren't .410 shots, at least at my skill level. More comfortable with a 20 or 16 for those little jets.....
© 24hourcampfire