Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great pics! cool

Is that boxlock double with the chuckar hanging and the two birds on the top in the other photo a French Robust?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scouting for chukar.

It may be useless, because they tend to move throughout the season depending on the weather, water and feed.

This past season I was out everday for two months. Sometime they were where they weren't and sometimes the weren't where they was.

Such as: The honey holes were dry and the less expected spots were full and then the weather would cause a flip flop. I try and hunt a different location every day and I find birds where most would never hunt. Some folks just pound one area until there aren't enough birds left to reproduce. That is why I don't shoot into coveys of five birds or less.

Last edited by Reba; 06/08/12.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Love hunting chukars. This one was in the Middle Fork of the Salmon. No dog on this trip but managed to get 8 in the week I floated, fished, and hunted. Hard work but well worth it.

[Linked Image]

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Great pics! cool

Is that boxlock double with the chuckar hanging and the two birds on the top in the other photo a French Robust?

No, the first one is an extinct Spanish maker, Jesus Irazabal.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The second is an Uggie.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I used to hunt chukars every season in the Snake River Breaks in Eastern Washington and in some of the big canyons in Asotin County "between" OR and ID. Still hunt them in Central California but have slowed down due to advanced age.

We had several sayings about chukar hunters, you probably all know them:

"You hunt chukars for FUN once. Every other time is for REVENGE."

"The ideal chukar gun would be a .410....IF you just could lose the .4 and keep the 10 when you find birds."

"You can tell a chukar hunter by his big thighs and small brain."

I always hunt with a double and fall down frequently. The only problem with that is you try to protect the shotgun and end up racking yourself up instead of the gun. I'm going in for a shoulder rebuild and will probably miss the early season while recovering. Reason? Bad fall while chukar hunting in Kern County CA.

(The double is fine, by the way....nice of you to ask!).

Happy obsessing, and good luck to all! Have a bundle of chuk-chuk-chuks!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I have broken stocks on 2 nice sxs's falling on basalt chasing these devils.

I carry a beat up 870 now with a sling.I must be getting clumsy or old.

J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Picked up my new Chukar gun. CZ Upland Ultralight. So pumped about this coming fall....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cool cool

Two Cool!

I just looked them up. 6 pounds and SS Trigger with extractors and manual safety. This is my idea of a CHUCKAR GUN!!! laugh

www.cz-usa.com/products/view/upland-ultralight/

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have been stupid enough to hunt chukars for over 30 years. Now I am too damned old to climb the hills. It seems like some of you are a little behind times. Making a statement that two shells is enough puts you in that position.

I have known and hunted with many chukar hunters that think nothing of shooting triples and are/were capable of killing a limit in the morning. Some of those guys are now dead or too old to climb and hunt anymore.

I hunted E. Oregon all those years and shot many different shotguns. I finally settled on a Benelli Ultra Lite in 12 ga. I have for years shot 1 1/8 of #5 shot and found it predictably reliable. The last year we hunted, on public ground, our crew shot 85 birds the first day. No one shot over their limit.

These guys learned how to hunt chukars. If you pay attention, you will find that most chukars will find a certain level on a given day. Most coveys will be at that level. It might be at the top of the mountain or part way down. Sometimes it is a pain to find them. This post is not meant as a criticism, but to clear up some issues.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fred,

I am proud to be behind times that stress the biggest, the most, and filled limits. This was the case ahead of my time, was secondary for most of my 57 years hunting chuckar, but is again the norm, it seems.

I also see wisdom in a light semi with 3-5 shots on top of a chuckar mountain! wink There are days when only one or two opportunities present themselves, and having a third shot is awfully valuable. I carry my Mdl 59 Winlite those days. whistle grin

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
luv2safari

Usually the only people that complain of others shooting a limit are either not good shots or can't get around the hills. Present company excluded, I presume.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You presume right, and I shoot plenty of birds with a 20ga O/U IC/Mod or a 16 SXS over my dogs. The dogs make me look good. blush wink

After I had my back broken the hills got to be about twice as steep and three times higher, however. Getting old and fat has nothing to do with anything. whistle whistle

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by FredWillis
I have been stupid enough to hunt chukars for over 30 years. Now I am too damned old to climb the hills. It seems like some of you are a little behind times. Making a statement that two shells is enough puts you in that position.

I have known and hunted with many chukar hunters that think nothing of shooting triples and are/were capable of killing a limit in the morning. Some of those guys are now dead or too old to climb and hunt anymore.

I hunted E. Oregon all those years and shot many different shotguns. I finally settled on a Benelli Ultra Lite in 12 ga. I have for years shot 1 1/8 of #5 shot and found it predictably reliable. The last year we hunted, on public ground, our crew shot 85 birds the first day. No one shot over their limit.

These guys learned how to hunt chukars. If you pay attention, you will find that most chukars will find a certain level on a given day. Most coveys will be at that level. It might be at the top of the mountain or part way down. Sometimes it is a pain to find them. This post is not meant as a criticism, but to clear up some issues.

I'll bite, its been a few months since the last chukar and that probably has me surly. I shot my first chukar 36 years ago. I've taken plenty of repeaters into the chukar hills and had a time when I thought it was necessary to have 5 shots. That time passed.

[Linked Image]

I've also taken triples on a staggered covey rise without moving many times with a repeater and a double. I've done it more often with a double.

I've put plenty of limits in the bag with two shots at a go. I've noticed that guys who dis doubles generally think that more lead in the air means more birds in the bag. If shooting two shells at a time means I'm "behind the times," I'm glad to wear that title. It seems to me that as I mature it isn't the destination, but the journey that brings meaning to my life. Shoot what you want, but spare me the clarification of the issues.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Fishfowler

Sounds kind of like a reformed alcoholic, only a hunter. I guess my question is, Why would anyone risk a nice double or O/U in the chukar hills, when one can use a throw away auto or pump? It is not a question if you are going to fall, only when.

By the way, I never did see a need to have 5 shell capacity and besides, it is against the law in Oregon.

In our chukar camps, the only guys we encounter with doubles are eastern hunters, coming west. Maybe the oregon shooters catch on quicker.

Last edited by FredWillis; 06/19/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny...in our camps we almost never see autos or pumps. I guess it all adds up to taste and sometimes good help. wink

I don't buy my doubles for them to stay home and be pampered. I buy them to use.

The guy who took the photos chose to hunt off away from the dogs and used a Browning A5 Light 12. He got two of these birds. He also took one of my pups a year later and loves to watch his dog work as much or more than shooting a lot of birds. He still loves that great old Light 12, too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Why own it if you can't shoot it and hunt it like it was made to do? I know more then a few fella's from out west that chase chukar with doubles.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by FredWillis
Fishfowler

Sounds kind of like a reformed alcoholic, only a hunter. I guess my question is, Why would anyone risk a nice double or O/U in the chukar hills, when one can use a throw away auto or pump? It is not a question if you are going to fall, only when.

By the way, I never did see a need to have 5 shell capacity and besides, it is against the law in Oregon.

In our chukar camps, the only guys we encounter with doubles are eastern hunters, coming west. Maybe the oregon shooters catch on quicker.

I grew up in Idaho, since I'm in WA now, I guess I could be accused of being an Easterner. I'm with you on risking fine doubles in the chukar hills.

I've found that the Spaniards make the best chukar guns and have several from various manufacturers. They won't win any beauty contests, but I won't lose any sleep if I fall on them or drop them off a cliff.

I'm not sure about the reformed alcoholic thing, but will take it as a compliment, (except I'm not reformed in hunting or drinking).

In our chukar camps we prefer doubles, maybe the Oregon guys haven't figured it out yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Fishnfowler, great pix--that's Chukarland. all right! So where'd that dang Hun come from? Musta been a wheat field up there someplace! (We used to get "mixed flushes" sometimes when a wheatfield bordered a canyon.)

Huns are purty--and purty stringy. I bone 'em, cook long and slow, add salsa brava with extra onions, wrap in fresh corn tortilla, cover with enchilada sauce. put queso blanco on top, bake until melted. I use that formula for Huns and all of the phez and chukar meat except the breast meat. Save those legs, wings. backs, and necks up, and steam the meat off the bones to speed up the process and lose any stray shot. Freeze the enchiladas we don't eat the first night for later.

If you ever need to eat a jackrabbit. the recipe works for them, too. Just cook longer....the guy that taught me this insisted on adding chopped nopales to the salsa. Take the stickers off carefully, if your using wild 'uns tho.

i

Last edited by Mesa; 06/24/12.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Dont know if i already asked this question, but oh well.

So as far as telling what land is what (BLM, State, private)would gps be the easiest?

Just get an Astro for the pup and a maps card?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started hunting chuckers back in the 50's with a J.C. Higgins single shot break and usually could get off 2 and some times 3 shots so a good double gunner should get 4 shots. But then I don't move so fast now days so its a Remington 1100 I perfer. It has been many years sense I have hunted Chuckers but this year I will be seeing how my German Shorthair will take to them as I moved to a area where I can hear them cackling. I think that anyone that loves to chase birds in chucker terrain can use any shot gun configuration he chooses as long as it is legal.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12savage, 1936M71, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,913
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.