Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by JWP58

Is there something i'm missing?

number and weight of those shells in your vest...

pointed chucker don't need a 12 ga to be killed

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
When you buy good 20ga. shells you will be missing a pile of money...you can get good 12 ga. shells cheaper...you can load a 12 down but it doesnt work the other way...I would start will a good 12 then pick up a 20 ga...I have several 20 s, but seldom use them on a trip....the 12 is more versital no matter how you cut it..

Molon Labe
J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Hmmm. Well i just did the ol' which feels heavier. A box of 2.75 no.7 12ga or a box of 2.75 no.6 20ga. Doing it blind folded i actually picked the 20ga's as being heavier. Not much science behind the test, but percieved weight is what its all about right?

I know a 12 isnt needed, and i'm not against a 20ga. But why not if you get a 12 without lugging around a heavy gun. I could always down load on shot size/weight. A 20ga Montefeltro would be nice too.

I guess the debate could go on forever lol

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a few nice sxs's but do not take them chukar hunting. I hunt on very steep and loose basalt areas and I tend to fall down quite a bit. My shotgun gets dinged up a lot. I bring a collapsable hiking pole for the more treacherous areas. I bring a good pair of binos and listen for their calls.

I try to get me and the dog above them and hunt from above. I prefer a 12 gauge with high brass 4 shot. better when there is a little snow.

A month before season hike in rocky areas so his feet toughen up.

A lot of fun and a very good work out

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I personally tend to use a 16ga SxS often, but will hunt 12's and 20's also. I agree that a pointed chukar is not particularly hard to kill, but one thing for sure, its about the only chukar to kill. A jumped covey can make a man poor on shells, morale and confidence.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This is great. Its good to know there are others who "suffer" through chukar season. wink

Just thought I'd document some of my chukar evolution because it always help me to learn what others are doing.

After trying all sorts I am currently settled in with the little remington LT 20. I have used a twenty for two seasons and see no reason to go back to twelves. YMMV. I enjoy carrying it and when I go down its no big deal. I don't feel the same when I slide down a scree field with my superposed or 686.

I buy mountaineering boots with scree gaurds. A well thought out bird vest that allows plenty of water storage. Think ahead of anything that will save your dog from stress or literal danger. I've had mine snake bit, caught in both snares and leghold traps, pulled porquipine quills, and suffered from dehydration. Now I hope I'm ready for anything although I'll just say good luck on the raw paw problem. I use split bike tubes and trainers tape.

Anyway, in short. Take your time. Trust your dogs nose. Don't get too cocky. Nothing can humble you like an "easy" covey. And when you miss that "gimme", make sure no women or children are within earshot.

And at last. Savor every bite.

Good luck,

Scott

PS..this certainly wasn't meant to be a know-it-all rant. I just love hunting the little buggers. Interestingly enough, although I'm sure they exist, I've never seen an down in the dumps chukar hunter. "Optimism: it's a disease!" grin

The church is close, but the road is icey. The tavern is far, but I will walk carefully. -Russian Proverb
J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Great info! Keep it coming.

I really want a nice SxS, but i keep hearing horror stories about people falling and busting up guns. But a Smith&Wesson Elite is at the top of my list as far as SxS go (CZ's coming in second). But then theres the CZ Upland Ultralight. 12ga 6lb O/U that would be great for chukars...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JWP58
Why go 20ga if you can get a 6.4lb 12ga? That gives you the payload of a 12ga in a gun that feels like a 20ga.

Is there something i'm missing?

Yep...you are.

My late father shot more chuckar than anyone else I know, and I live in a chuckar hunter's State. He used a 20ga Superposed 26" IC/MOD from 1958 until he had to quit hunting in 1999, due to his health. He shot over good dogs and loved the "sport" of it all. He didn't mind plates full of chuckar, either. wink

I use different guns, depending on the time of the season. I hunt with his old 20ga early and use several 16ga SXS guns, too. As the birds get bigger with more dense feathers and are wilder later in the season, I opt for 12ga SXSs and a vintage Winlite Mdl 59 12ga I got from JB a few years ago. That Winchester had late season chuckar written all over it! laugh laugh

I also use a sling of some sort on all of my chuckar guns. There can be a lot of "on-all-fours" involved in getting to the birds. A sling is invaluable.

I probably shouldn't mention using scoped drillings with 22mag insert barrels, so I won't. whistle whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
x 2 sling. Do not head out for Chukar without a sling

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm a dyed in the wool classic doubles guy when it comes to hunting upland birds, except chukar. I learned that lesson shall we say, the hard way. I now use what we refer to around my house as "the machine gun". It's a 20 ga Beretta Urika 2 youth model auto. I added about 1.5" of spacers to the recoil pad and it fits fine. The gun was light at the muzzle so I added lead weights to the end of the magazine tube just under the end cap. Works good, and I have to say that having more than 2 shots has paid off a time or two.

This is no place for a gun you don't want "ruined".
[Linked Image]

Last edited by mw406; 05/31/12.
IC B3

J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thats great looking Britt!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image]

Since I was a kid...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started hunting chukar with a 12 ga A5 and a sling was welcome.

For several years I have been using a Benelli M4 20 ga that weights less than 6 pounds. No sling required. I like 1 oz of #6's.

The weight difference means I carry more water for my dogs.

The recoil is less so follow up shots are easier.

My main hunting partner shoots a 28 ga on chukar and gets as many as anyone.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hunt downhill if you can. They might still be there when u get to the top but its a long [bleep] walk either way Dont miss, you might not get another shot all day. Cuss all you want, the dog dont care.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I started out with a Charles Daly 12ga SxS. Used 1 1/8oz of #7 shot. Changed to 1 1/8os #6 shot. #6 is a whole lot better on the pheasants we'd find. From that I went to an AyA 12ga, then to an AyA 16 ga and now most of my huntinf is done with a AyA 28 ga. use 3/4 oz of 7 1/2 shot. I don't shoot at pheasant's found while using the 28 ga. Shot is a bit to small and load a bit light for than.

J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for all the "inside info"! I doubt i'll bag many this year, but i'll give'em hell for sure.

I think i've settled on my "chukar gun". A CZ Upland Ultralight 6.0lb 12ga O/U, not very pretty but it fits me really well and balances great. I wont cry if i ding or drop it either.

Recoil will be an issue, but i think if i stick with 1oz loads it wont be too bad.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Not mine but my Brittany pup 1st yr this yr too

Here she is 7 weeks
[Linked Image]

Training at 4 months old pointing pigeon
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A SxS is the right medicine for chukar.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They like to live in steep places.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They taste good:

[Linked Image]

They are beautiful:

[Linked Image]

Chukar hunting is fun:

[img]http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww184/Fishnfowler/huntsalmon2010150.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww184/Fishnfowler/Found_that_coat.jpg[/img]

J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
When would be a good time pre-season to go scouting for birds?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just before the opener. Chuckar sometimes gather into flocks of 500 to 2,000 birds and go on mass migrations. This is often caused by lack of food. It isn't uncommon for our birds here in NV to starve in summertime. If the spring rains don't come, and this is relatively often, there is nothing to eat by late July.

I once drove into a mass migration the day before the opener. The valley was crawling with birds, as they crossed from one mountain range to another. It was the last Saturday of September, back when we opened the season that day. There were so many birds the dogs were goofy and confused.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,553
Posts18,472,995
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.