Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
This will be my first season chasing chukars aswell as my pup's first season hunting (brittany).

Any tips?

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

early season can be great. the birds are concentrated near water but it can be hot. hunt early and bring lots of water for the dog. watch for snakes.

don't bother hunting if it's raining. just my experience, i've never had good luck during wet weather.

try to locate birds and get above them. if coming up from below, birds will out climb you and fly before you get in range.

hunting after a snow storm is the best. birds hold tight and you can track them.

if hunting in windy conditions, the birds will hold in pockets on the lee side of ridges.

make sure your brittany is in good shape and has tough pads. chukar country will cripple a dog that isn't in shape.

J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the helpful info. I hope to be out after sharptails before chukar season opens. Not that open grassland will be anything like the terrain chukar hangout it, but he wont be too fat by then lol.

I'll probably invest in some boots for him just incase.

I'm not expecting much, except a HUGE learning curve. Thanks again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're from Wyoming you should also hunt Sage Chickens. They are great for young dogs.

I start in Wyoming for Chickens in September. The move west into Idaho, Oregon and Nevada for chukar, quail and Huns.

I usually hunt until just before Christmas.

Booting a dog is not a simple task. All our dogs a conditioned and tuff, so we don't have to boot.

Rattle snakes can be terrible in chuker country. You need a hard freeze to keep them down. Don't go until then.

Last edited by Reba; 05/20/12.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Oh ya, i hope to locate some sage grouse too.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lochsa

early season can be great. the birds are concentrated near water but it can be hot. hunt early and bring lots of water for the dog. watch for snakes.

don't bother hunting if it's raining. just my experience, i've never had good luck during wet weather.

try to locate birds and get above them. if coming up from below, birds will out climb you and fly before you get in range.

hunting after a snow storm is the best. birds hold tight and you can track them.

if hunting in windy conditions, the birds will hold in pockets on the lee side of ridges.

make sure your brittany is in good shape and has tough pads. chukar country will cripple a dog that isn't in shape.

...what he said...

I've hunted them for a few years. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Awesome pics! I'm getting pumped just to go scout.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Run your dogs on gravel for a few weeks before the season. I have seen a few dogs packed off the mountain due to tender foot. Have a way to pick quills too, here cactus and chukar are in bed together. Often you are conditioned to give the bird a second to get yourself shot ready.....a whole covey of chukar will fly 43 miles in one second.....if your dog says a bird is here.....believe it and be ready.

And pack more water than you need, the dogs will lighten your pack in short order.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great tips! cool

I keep my dogs in a kennel on pea-gravel year around to keep their feet tough. I still get cases of sore feet. Be real sure to check their feet OFTEN during the day.

You can't carry too much water in early season, either.

And...don't try to outrun chuckar up hill. They'll win, and you'll hate them even more. We call chuckar hunting "vendetta". grin

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
[Linked Image]
I love to chase the red legged devils...

The dog and I are getting old and fat not chasing them as much as we used to. Kids and distance have changed things.

I'd steer clear of the dog boots. I've been known to use vetwrap on the lower legs where the rocks tear and scrape. Definitely work the feet and look into Tuf-foot.

Best advice... don't start! You won't be able to get it out of your system grin

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
And if you don't have at least one classic SxS.....might as well figure that in too.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Im working on the SxS part. DT's w/ english stock. Not a classic though....to rich for my blood. A Huglu or Akus will have to do lol.

Besides, i thought most chukar hunters carried Semi's anyway?

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I carry a double O/U and wish I had a lightweight semi 20 like an AL48 or Montefeltro with and extended tube. If you hike that hard two shots can make you feel lame.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt them little bastids with a light o/u 12.
It's a good time but aggravating at times.

I always say guys hunt chukars the first time either because they are naive or crazy. Everytime after that is to get revenge.

I love em

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you have time to get three shots off.....well, you can't.

I wish I had some field pics of this day, but it was about 10* blowing hard with near blinding snow.....and one of my few limit on chukar days.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have a Fox side by side, but a good pump is my choice for all upland game...as sure as you open a double to reload, birds will fly...it happens every time...

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by high_country_
If you have time to get three shots off.....well, you can't.

I wish I had some field pics of this day, but it was about 10* blowing hard with near blinding snow.....and one of my few limit on chukar days.

[Linked Image]

"Double" Cool! cool cool

You did it the right way. wink

J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Hmmm well i went and did it. I went and looked at a Benelli Ultra Light. WOW. Lightest 12ga i've ever handled, and it shouldered like a dream. The price tag is another story though...

Anyone have experience with the Franchi I-12 Upland, Affinity, or BUL?? I'm thinking a light semi-auto is the way to go for a "do all" upland gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unless you are going for water foul, get a 20 ga.............

Benelli is worth the price!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Why go 20ga if you can get a 6.4lb 12ga? That gives you the payload of a 12ga in a gun that feels like a 20ga.

Is there something i'm missing?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,798
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.