-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Biggest issues I see with two doors, as mention you lose the space of the back wall.

But an equal or bigger issue is that your defeating part of the functional beauty of a wall tent.

Setting the back wall into the prevailing wind (west by north-west most of Colorado's mountain ranges, with some typographical variations ) , and banking the sod-flap firmly.

A well banked tent with little to no up-wind drafts will get you a much better nights sleep.

Unless the tent is HUGE, I would not go out of my way to get a door on each end.

A zipped window on the other hand, that can be handy.

Of course the universal rule for a good deal on something in good-used condition trumps all other preconceptions!

Last edited by K_Salonek; 10/11/12.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
GB1

M
M
I have a Davis 14x16 with two doors each zippered with storm flap buckles and screens. Also have a window on the two sides. We only use one door elk hunting, and open the windows once in a while for venting out any smoke (I cook in it since only have one tent). I wanted the flexibility to be able to use it in warmer weather if I wanted.

Last edited by muskybite; 10/11/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Setting up in very windy locations makes a solid end wall a slightly better set up. If you can keep the solid wall from billowing. All wall tents should come with mid end wall tie downs. Wind and heavy snow are your tents two worst threats. A good frame and snow tarp solves the snow loading. Lots of sewn in tie downs helps the wind issue. If you can not keep both tents, keep the tent with best frame and wind security.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
and it's easier to sneak in the whores without the neighbors seein'.....grin
That is reason enough to get two doors IMO!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer

So would that be the "Whore Door" option? Sorry, couldn't resist...

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
See no reason not to have 2 doors - more options. But here is a thought. Set up both and then try your gear in each to see how you like the fit and floor layout. Had two tents once, one a Beckel Canvas Eena tent, the other a nice Davis. The Davis was bigger but had shorter sidewalls. The shorter sidewalls made the walking area in the tent smaller, even for a 5'5" person; a taller person had less effective floor area. The Davis had a roof vent for the stovepipe, so the stove took more floorspace. The Eena has a wall vent - easier to put a tarp on the whole roof, less tar dripping on the roof, easier to clear the stovepipe of crud. Kept the original Eena. Better use of the floor area, better stove location. We use the end with the stove as the entry, but you could use the non-stove end, I suppose.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by remfak
Originally Posted by pointer

So would that be the "Whore Door" option? Sorry, couldn't resist...

Back door whore... eek

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I set the Kirkham's up in my driveway this morning to look at it on the frame, but am still undecided. Both have features I really like, and both have things I'd tweak a little if I could. Too bad I can't meld them both into one!... eek And keeping both isn't an option.

Decisions, decisions...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have a Montana tent 14X17, I had another door installed. One side is clips and canvas ties and the other end has a zipper.

I like having two doors.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, I decided to keep the Kirkham's and sold my Davis to my best bud for the same $600.00 I paid for the Kirkham's. Now we each have a high quality tent, so a win-win for both.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
We used to keep the wood stove in the back and the wood was brought into the tent from the back door. It was sealed up pretty good and used once a week during the elk season. I liked it that way.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[quote=GreatWaputi]I set the Kirkham's up in my driveway this morning to look at it on the frame, but am still undecided. Both have features I really like, and both have things I'd tweak a little if I could. Too bad I can't meld them both into one!... eek And keeping both isn't an option.

Decisions, decisions...

That's easy; sell 'em both and order one just the way you want it.

I use a 10x12 Davis Tent & Awning with 5' side walls with a zipper and flap door at each end. Great tent, two doors are great when it's warm out, and no problem to zip and secure the flaps when I want it sealed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 49 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,152
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.