.275 Rigby
[Linked Image]
.308 Norma
[Linked Image]
.257 Roberts
[Linked Image]
6.5-06AI
[Linked Image]

Plus a few others, I don't have photos of.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I own one Hawkeye in 6.5 creedmoor. I have a few issues with the gun out of the box .....the actions are gritty and rough feeling, other actions at similar prices are smoother, trigger is only average at best, and truthfully, the recoil lug design should change. On the positive side after a bit of tigger work the gun shoots about moa which is fine, and the gun feels like it is built like a tank, and shoot pretty good. My biggest thing is how rough it feels when working the action and safety. Maybe it will get better over time. Just my .02 worth.

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've got a few Ruger's ... one is a 458AccRel, another a 458B&M, plus another in 358Norma, plus a factory 308Win RSI Mannlicher carbine.

All are solid hunting rifles that perform as intended. If others don't rate them it's no skin off my nose.
Cheers...
Con

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by roundoak
I drive Ford trucks and shoot tang safety M 77s, but it wasn't always that way.

I started with both and I'm sticking with them.

Jim
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like my tang safety 35 Whelen, it is the only bolt action I own, have sold my Savage and Rem bolts. If/when I buy another bolt action, it will be a Ruger.
One day I'll find a Ruger with a lever.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
(One issue with the Ruger is that the angled screw makes some stock work challenging. If the distance between the action and the floorplate changes, the angled screw means that the floor plate will be too tight or too loose.)

Harder to restock in a custom stock. And small recoil lug loose action screws will break a stock on the hard kickers. Bedding and keeping screws tight resolves that. Have found they are a little more fussy to get to shoot well. But have several LH and tough to find a LH CRF rifle I like them.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When the M77 appeared in the late 60's, it was a breath of fresh air to many people and most of the gun scribes of the era. In profile, it looked more like a pre-war rifle. No white line spacers, no monte carlo stock with an exaggerated cheek piece and a "bowling pin" finish. The stock was a "classic" style" with cut checkering with a finish that resembled rubbed oil. The scope mounts were integral with the receiver and a free set of 1" rings was included. At first they sold very well but then reality set in. A large percentage didn't shoot very well. Manny didn't trust the cast bolt and receiver and it was common to see receivers with cosmetic flaws related to the casting process. A lot of people didn't like the flat sided receiver and some had edges sharp enough to draw blood. A lot of dealers resented the loss of profitable base and ring sales. Many gunsmiths said they were junk, as they didn't lend themselves to customizing. As with some other Ruger products, the receivers turned purple if re-blued. Like cars, those that got a good one loved it, and those that had problems hated it. The accuracy "nuts" shot Remingtons and "real" hunters shot pre-64 Model 70's. Ruger did address many of the problems and the M77 developed a loyal following, but there were few converts among the "haters" and that seems to hold true to this day. Then the "assault rifle" thing heated up and Bill Ruger sided with the Government to keep his Mini-14 of the list, angering many gun owners. I personally new a lot of shooters that would not buy anything Ruger, saying they would not put a dime in that sellout's pocket. Also, most other manufacturers started making "classic" styled rifles with improved fit and finish, there by stealing some of Ruger's thunder in the looks department. I just bought a GSR and like it. But then, what do I know?

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Rugged reliable built like a tank but not a good reputation for out of the box accuracy..........I like them Myself, especially the bomb proof scope mounting system..............Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brandenburg State Forest district north east of Berlin.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Have had the mk1, mk2 & 2 x hawk eyes and must be one of the lucky few wink

I had a 22.250, 260rem, 338wm & 9.3x62. All regularly shot moa at 100 yards if I did my bit. I can not blame one missed shot in the field on the rifle...which pretty much sums it up for me.

I like rugers, but it doesn't have to be the only brand in the safe.

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think Rugers seem to get a bad rap for a number of reasons..They are slightly chunky, and have (or had?) pretty poor triggers out of the box. Accuracy was spotty years ago, but seems to have been resolved. The bedding system with the angled action screw is usual enough to put many folks off trying to bed them, and those that do, seem to get mixed results.

On the other hand, I appreciate M77's for what they are: a solid, no nonsense working rifle. The triggers could be worked over to produce excellent results and I love the integral bases..Add to that the stainless steel used in the all weather versions really does seem to resist rusting and you have a great working rifle for a modest price.

Regards,

Peter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
True - I see not need for trench warfare in hunting products either.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My gunsmith won't do a build on one or accurize one. The cast receiver is his big peeve. My Brother has a short .308 he's carried in Maine for 30 years. One day, he was having trouble closing the bolt. It was sticking. I brought it to the gunsmith and he found a burr in the bolt. I couldn't see it, but he polished it up and it stopped sticking. He gave me the Ruger speech that day, and I never bought one. I saw a Ruger Super Redhawk with the top strap split at the back of the cylinder that kept me from ever buying one of those too. I have a super blackhawk though. I just had to have one.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Your gunsmith is likely an idiot.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I hate the 2 piece bottom metal more than about anything else. I've also seen more split Ruger 77 stocks than all other brands put together. I always bed them.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Huntz
I always liked the 77`s.Most I had were fairly accurate.Triggers suck,but are fixable.Main problem is resale.They do not command anywhere near the resale of a Winchester or Remmy.So are they the Rodney Dangerfield of Rifles????

I like the Ruger 77 a lot and have had a pile of them. However, they're a bit clunky in the hands and a bit heavy. For me, that's the only real downside, though I dislike the angled action screw as well and the bottom metal isn't the best either.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My gunsmith is the best and most talented gunsmith I have ever met, and he has done a ton of work for me and my friends from building rifles to making shotgun stocks to accurizing and fixing what other gunsmiths have screwed up. He is a master machinist and makes parts for everyone from the water company to custom motorcycle builders. I would switch doctors, dentists, lawyers, pets, and possibly spouses before I would switch gunsmiths. 25 plus years and never been anything but happy, happy, happy with his work. Also, in 25 years of hunting and target shooting, I have never seen a single one match grade rifle built on a Ruger action. I have them built on Remington, Winchester, Nesika, Borden, and am planning a .260 Rem on a Rem 700 with said gunsmith right now.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sactoller,

Dood, you got some NICE rifles....

Call me dumb, but can a fella get a MMillan for a Tang Ruger?

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by CLB
Sactoller,

Yup...ruger R pattern

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by noKnees
Originally Posted by CLB
Sactoller,

Yup...ruger R pattern

But no EDGE stocks are available for any 77 AFAIK.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (240NMC, 12344mag, 22magnut, 10ring1, 160user, 06hunter59, 33 invisible), 1,293 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,849
Posts18,517,521
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.