-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Pulled a Interarms Mark X from the safe the a week or so ago. Don't remember the specifics of its acquisition, but it came to me with a 3-position safety installed. The trigger is a single stage with the horrendously long take-up and is not adjustable. Wishing to improve the trigger, I ordered and received a Timney FW w/o side safety.

Herein lies the rub. With the original trigger in place all functions well (albeit the trigger pull). When I installed the Timney FW things changed. With the Timney in place, when the trigger is pulled, the cocking piece/firing pin barely moves and with little or no force.

FWIW, this is a non-SpeedLoc bolt, and has the 'notched' cocking piece.

Question is - what's the next step?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So you are saying that the trigger won't release the cocking piece?

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
Bolt&Barrel Gunsmithing, Greenwood, SC
www.boltandbarrel.com
U. S. Army Veteran
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Clemson
So you are saying that the trigger won't release the cocking piece?

Clemson

When it comes down to it - yes.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Call Timney. I seem to recall that they can put sears of differing heights in their triggers to fit different guns. Good luck!

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
Bolt&Barrel Gunsmithing, Greenwood, SC
www.boltandbarrel.com
U. S. Army Veteran
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I spent some time eyeing this thing up tonight. What it boils down to is that with the Timney that I have, the Featherweight, I need the flat bottom, non-SpeedLoc, cocking piece. No other way around it with what I have. Sourcing one has been a biatch so far.

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Try the company that has an EYE for a logo, that is where I found them. I will look for a better name.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
EAA
European American Armory
http://www.eaacorp.com/

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Mark X trigger is perfectly serviceable. I have mine st at 2 lbs and it is sweet. powdr

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by powdr
The Mark X trigger is perfectly serviceable. I have mine st at 2 lbs and it is sweet. powdr

The trigger is a single stage with the horrendously long take-up and is not adjustable.

When I say horrendously long, I talking 1/2-3/4" ! I've heard this trigger called the 'mushy hump' trigger' and the moniker fits.

Now, if this were the adjustable trigger that came on a Whitworth American Express I have, I would agree with Powdr. As it stands though, my existing non-adjustable trigger sucks!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by corelokt
EAA
European American Armory
http://www.eaacorp.com/

No dice. "All we have is magazines."

K-VAR is a no-go. Western Parts, unless you have a catalog and a P/N is out of the question. SARCO, Numrich, et al, are no-go as well for the flat-bottom CP.

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
You have to tell them it is for the Mauser that they used to import. I bought two speedlock types from them.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by corelokt
You have to tell them it is for the Mauser that they used to import. I bought two speedlock types from them.

I did - more than once.

As an aside, the SpeedLock CP would not do me any good - too short.

FWIW, I believe I found a solution to my piss-poor trigger and the notched cocking piece. Called Huber Concepts and have one of their triggers on the way. The Huber trigger replaces the trigger only - not the sear - and is fully adjustable for take-up (creep) and over-travel. Huber is only 20 minutes up the road, and they offered me the chance to 'try before you buy.'

Timney's recommended solution was to fill in the notch - 'welding works, so does using a fill piece held in with JB Weld'.

Last edited by WiFowler; 10/12/12.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mine is not a Whitworth but I can see where there would be a tremendous problem w/ an unadjustable trigger. The two Mark X actions I had were both equipped w/a 3 screw adjustable trigger. A pain to set but very good when done right. powdr

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Wow, really shocked your trigger has that much take up, creep, or whatever you have going on. I have two Interarms (Zastava) Mark X's and they both break at 3 pounds. That's the way they came and there is still adjustment to go lower. It's an easily adjusted trigger. Maybe you got a lemmon or they changed something.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep in mind that Interarms Mark X rifles also came from the factory with a military style trigger that does not have the over-travel, sear, and pull weight adjustment. With the two difference style triggers also came a different style cocking piece as WiFowler has indicated. I'm dealing with the same exact issue WiFowler is having with the Huber Concept or Dressel Model 70 style trigger as options I'm exploring.

I have representatives of both Mark X configurations and agree that the adjustable trigger is quite nice once it has been tuned...the military style is usable and predictable once you get familiar with it.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
32-20,

I learned another new thing today. This makes a lot more sense to me now. The above sounded like a Military style but I never seen that configuration on a Mark X. Were the crappy triggers/cocking pieces during a certain time frame or model?

thanks,

BM

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 32_20fan
Keep in mind that Interarms Mark X rifles also came from the factory with a military style trigger that does not have the over-travel, sear, and pull weight adjustment. With the two difference style triggers also came a different style cocking piece as WiFowler has indicated. I'm dealing with the same exact issue WiFowler is having with the Huber Concept or Dressel Model 70 style trigger as options I'm exploring.

I have representatives of both Mark X configurations and agree that the adjustable trigger is quite nice once it has been tuned...the military style is usable and predictable once you get familiar with it.

Well said.

While I have a Huber Concepts trigger on the way, I found it somewhat amusing that Timney was a flippant as they were in their email response. Later today I called Timney and spoke to the same individual that I had been swapping emails with. He wasn't as flippant and arrogant when I had him, and subsequently his supervisor on the phone. At the end of my conversation I was told that the #101 Sportsman would work with the notched cocking piece. I'm going to try the Huber and the recommended Timney.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bassetman,

I can't confirm a fixed time frame but it appears the Mark Xs with the military style triggers are early models. My rear bridge date stamp didn't imprint all that well but it appears to be a 1973 gun (plain jane 30-06 with front/rear sights). Hopefully someone with more familiarity with the Mark X will provide insight to the trigger changeover.

WiFowler,

Thanks for the info on the possible Timney trigger solution! Hopefully that HC trigger will work out...it looks solid and provides the adjustments we're looking for.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
you can really tune a military trigger to break like glass. all it takes is some filing or a steady hand with a dremel, bold makes a great trigger as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,291
Posts18,486,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.