Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Anyone have any experience with, or opinions on, the FEG Hi Power clones coming into the US now?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think Kevin Gibson made a detailed post on the FEG "High Powers" a while back (last year or two). You might find it using the Search feature.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RufusG
I think Kevin Gibson made a detailed post on the FEG "High Powers" a while back (last year or two). You might find it using the Search feature.
I think he said he liked them. Parts interchangeability might be an issue, though, as between them and the Brownings. Not sure.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I remember when they first hit the market. Although I never owned one, I had a friend that did. They were inexpensive and while not up to Browning standards, they were well made with a good fit and finish on a par with other Eastern European firearms hitting the market at the time. The Hi Power didn't have a great trigger pull, and the FEG was much worse making them hard to shoot accurately but functioning was fine. I can't remember if the parts interchanged with a Browning, but I think the magazines did. Given the robust construction, I doubt if parts would be a problem for the average shooter.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RufusG
I think he said he liked them. Parts interchangeability might be an issue, though, as between them and the Brownings. Not sure.

That's my recollection of what Kevin posted. I think he might have written the post because I asked the same questions about the FEGs.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bought one in 1996. It is still going strong.

Sam......

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They're pretty well made, but be aware they had 2 distinct versions. Earlier ones used the original locking system as designed by JMB. Later they switched to the S&W locking block to reduce cost. Were it me, I'd stick with the original.

The way to tell the difference (assuming external photos only) is the presence of a very faint oval on the right side of frame directly above the trigger. This is where the JMB lock was installed and match polished.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Try GOOGLE-ing searchwords:

DECODING THE FEG HI-POWER by JAY PEE

(You will find 'EVERYTHING' including pics.)

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They�re not just good, they�re excellent. The FEG (Hungarian) Hi Powers are not a �licensed� copy, but they�re typically better than the other licensed copy, the Argentine (The later Argentine�s are pretty darned good though). The FEG is parts interchangeable in general. Most any aftermarket part you buy for a Hi Power is interchangeable with the FEG. There is one major exception.

When FEG decided to make a .40 version, they went a completely different direction than FN did. Rather than making a heavier slide, they redesigned the barrel locking cam system to match that of the S&W Model 59 series. What that means is, if you have a .40 FEG (which are fairly rare in the US) or one of the 9mm�s made with the S&W style barrel, then you�re very much stuck with the barrel it came with. Which isn�t a bad thing at all, it�s a damn good design, a clear improvement on the original cam/locking system.

Some of the later imported FEG�s have a VERY nice extended safety design that is worlds better than Browning/FN�s ambi-abomination.

So all this is to say, the FEG is an outstanding value in a Hi Power. So much so that�A friend of mine and I are setting up to go into the custom Hi Power business and we fully intend to work on FEG�s as a lower cost option without sacrificing quality.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Try GOOGLE-ing searchwords:

DECODING THE FEG HI-POWER by JAY PEE

(You will find 'EVERYTHING' including pics.)

That is one of the best pieces of online journalism I�ve seen in the gun world in a long time. Here�s an area where confusion exists and he had the resources available to put together a fantastic, fully definitive discussion on the matter. Him and I disagree on the reason for the change in the locking system. He says it was a cost saving matter; I disagree. To make the gun with the S&W type cam system significantly adds cost to manufacture the receiver and the barrel as it�s much more complex from a machining standpoint. On the basic Hi Power, all that machining is just skipped and they heat press in a cam block; done�quite brilliant really. But the weakness is that the cam block is inserted into a part of the frame that is rather thin. When the Brits started using SMG ammo (which eventually became �NATO Pressure�), those cam blocks started setting back after several thousand rounds, but typically it was the slide that failed before the cam block.

So my take is that it wasn�t cost savings, it was to make the whole system more robust to accommodate 9mm NATO and .40 S&W.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had a FEG back in the '80s, it was true to the FN design, and I replaced the safety and some other parts with aftermarket stuff for the Browning with no trouble whatever.

It was an excellent pistol and held up very well until I bought a .41 AE barrel from Behlert and proceeded to beat it to pieces. Poor thing lasted quite awhile even in that rendition, though I never did get it reliable enough to trust it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Mike,

The gun in the link appears to be an FM (Fabrique Militar) from Argentina, not an FEG. Still a great pistol though.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 1minute, 51 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,026
Posts18,500,526
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.