Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Not much of a predator hunter or trapper but I am fairly knowledgeable about all critters. Always knew coyotes would eat most anything.

About a month ago I started baiting for deer. Big pear tree gave me nearly 300 pounds. Dumped a bucket in my spot. Have the camera out. First night couple deer. Next night coyotes. As many as three at a time eating the pears. About a week later I dumped more pears about ten gallons. I have coyotes in and out for nearly four hours and they ate every single pear. Never knew they had such a sweet tooth.

Have not had any deer pics since. I switched over to corn and got a picture of a dog pissing on my corn pile. So I moved my deer stand. Now to do something about the coyotes. Did some calling the other night and I had three large packs answering within a half mile. Four active den sites on the property I am hunting. Basturds need to go. mad

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When I was a littler kid,I worked in the watermelon fields.Those dang coyotes would eat the heck out of watermelons,right down to the rind.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those dang coyotes would eat the heck out of watermelons,right down to the rind.

I first heard about their love of watermelons back in the Seventy's, when coyotes were not too thick around here. It blew my mind after a short denial period. For a while I could not make myself believe it, but the man that was telling me was someone that I trusted to tell the truth and he said that he saw them with his own eyes. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like them 'Yotes were raised by tree-huggers..

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've seen em eat deer corn too. The dried stuff crunches so loud you can hear it for a couple hundred yards. If your close enough to me I would be happy to take some coyotes off yoour hands.

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Coyotes will eat anything that gives them nourishment. Up through the 60's cottonseed cake was fed to livestock during winter months due to its high protein value and relative low cost. Where coyotes were numerous and not shot at, they would come right in among the cattle as we fed it to get the cake. Same with dried corn cobs.
I have always figured after a nuclear holocaust 3 critters would survive, cockroaches, rats and coyotes.
Buck

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They will pretty much eat anything that's available.
I grew up on a large farming/ranching operation and used to try to keep them thinned out for my Dad.
They used to love apples. I dusted alot of them while they were looking for apples that had fallen off the orchard trees.
They like avacados too, about any kind of melons, and were always after the rabbits who were after the alfalfa fields.
I've even seen them eat onions.

Ted smile

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Most animals are just like us. When they're hungry enough, they will eat anything their digestive system can handle. My favorite coyote photo is of one standing in front of a cold meat display case in a deli in down town Chicago in broad daylight.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Coyotes will eat ANYTHING that doesn't kill them. And some things that will.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
They used to come through the garden at night and take a bite out of every watermelon until they found a ripe one. They'd consume the ripe ones, but most of the rest would be ruined by the single bite they took testing it. We finally stopped it with electric fences.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My father in law had several pear trees in SE Kansas and often saw and shot coyotes under them in the fall.

NRA Patron
B
B
No coyotes have eaten my wife's cooking! That would take them down where they stand.

B

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bassturd
No coyotes have eaten my wife's cooking! That would take them down where they stand.

B

grin grin

Welcome to the Campfire Bassturd smile

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Bassturd

B

that one was so funny i had to have my wife read it !

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"No coyotes have eaten my EXwife's cooking! That would take them down where they stand.

B "

I fixed it for you....

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
All the coyote crap this time of year is pretty much blue with seeds from Zinfandel grapes. I shot a Jackrabbit a few weeks ago and visited the area 3 days later and found a "mark pile" a few feet from where the rabbit was, and all the bloody dirt and brain matter was gone. I guess sandy soil is good for flushing the pipes...lol

Damn things chew the heck out of our drip system during the summer, somebody needs to fix the problem better...ahem

Allen

A
A
[quote=PaleRider][quote=Bassturd]No coyotes have eaten my wife's cooking! That would take them down where they stand.

Waaaa hahaha... Hey, sweetie! Come over here and read this post.

My best private properties to hunt were farms that grew cantalopes, watermelons or tomatoes.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
they are opportunistic eaters. seeds, etc are on their list. I suppose pears should be too. I say go fling some lead, you got a coyote problem

MFK Game Calls Pro-Staff and Western USA Sales Rep
"Made for Killing" www.MFKGameCalls.com

Call 'em, KILL 'em, Stack 'em
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Trail cam took these last summer when I had an abundant crop of pears. They were actually pulling them right off the trees.
[Linked Image]

I had as many as 5 in the yard at one time, but this is a view of 4 at once. All of them went to the big pear pile in the sky.
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (260Remguy, 1_deuce, 260madman, 280shooter, 1minute, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,856
Posts18,478,531
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.