-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The Army will be fielding the Stryker as its new light armored assault vehicle.....Looks pretty cool! kind of like the Russian BRDM we brought back from Iraq...
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Is it just me or does this look a lot like the LAVs the Marine Corps has been using for about 15 years?
<br>
<br>HOOO-AAH, or whatever it is you soldiers say.
<br>
<br>Bob
<br>

"This country, this world, the [human] race of which you and I are a part, is great at having consensuses that are in great error." Rep. John Dingell (D-MI)
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It does look very familiar from somewhere!!
<br>
<br>Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My head not fitting in a jar, I wouldn,t know what the U.S.M C.'s LAV's look like![Linked Image]
<br>
<br>The first thing I thought of was the old Russian BMP. We were trained to identify them for arty to deal with. Hope ole Justin will know the difference![Linked Image]
<br>
<br>The Army has been looking more and more into LAV's, and particularly to wheels. Good idea, but there's still places and people I think are better dealt with by a good set of tracks. Don't put all our military eggs in one basket.
<br>7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Our heads are required to fit into jars, it keeps us from getting inflated egos (right back atcha!). [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Really though, the Army has proven through the 20th Cent. that it can win battles and win wars, I find it disturbing that in this day and age they decide to try their hands at Expeditionary Warfare as well. Meduim Brigades may have a place in Peacekeeping, but I find the demise of the Heavy Division disturbing.
<br>
<br>I also hope somebody tells Justin and his pals that the USMC has adopted new cammies. Within a few years we will no longer have any gear with the same pattern as our fellow Americans on the ground in a conflict. I also find this disturbing.
<br>
<br>Trivia question; Who was the only Marine General ever to command an Army division in combat and when?
<br>
<br>Bob
<br>

"This country, this world, the [human] race of which you and I are a part, is great at having consensuses that are in great error." Rep. John Dingell (D-MI)
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First off, Gunny, do you know the difference between a Marine and God? God doesn't think He's a Marine![Linked Image]
<br>I got a nephew in the Corps, and there's some truth there![Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Like you, I see the need for rapid deployment, but not at the expense of some heavy muscle to back it up. Sometimes you just need brute strength. Like the old saying about cars: "There's no substitute for cubic inches".
<br>
<br>As for the trivia, I think it was in the Pacific in WW2, but the man's name escapes me. Am I on the right track?
<br>7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Like the song says; "you'll find the streets are guarded by United States Marines." Wait a minute, that sucks, while you guys are sucking down suds I'm gonna pull duty, I guess nothing really changes. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>I must say, we really appreciated the Tiger Brigade during DS, we just don't have the armor to fight a real war on our own. OTH our working relationship with the Navy shouldn't be overlooked for getting people on the ground fast and with the gear they need to fight.
<br>
<br>On the trivia question, you are one major war too late. Hint, the man later became a Commandant (probably the most famous).
<br>
<br>Good Luck,
<br>Bob
<br>
<br>PS: gotta love those new hats!
<br>
<br>

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
." Wait a minute, that sucks, while you guys are sucking down suds I'm gonna pull duty, I guess nothing really changes. "
<br>
<br>No Worries, we'll save you one or two![Linked Image]
<br>
<br>As for the trivia, I aint got a clue. Guess you fellows get WAY more history in your indoctrination than us poor Army "Ground Pounders".[Linked Image] Wanna let me in on it?
<br>7mm

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Gen. John LeJeune placed himself in command of an army division during WWI. Gen. Pershing relieved the division commander (for some reason, but failed to name a replacement on the spot) and as the commander of an attached Marine Brigade who was senior to the other brigade commanders he assumed command. Of course this didn't last too long as a replacement arrived soon after, Gen. Pershing didn't want to allow a Marine Officer to remain in command.
<br>
<br>Good Luck,
<br>Bob
<br>
<br>And yes, we do get a lot of history, not to mention this kind of trivia always pops up on meritorious promotion boards.
<br>

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know all about the whole too light to fight too heavy to run mentality, I was in the 82nd Airborne Division[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Everything but the helicopters could and would be air dropped in and the helos would ride in shortly after...gotta love it!
<br>
<br>Mike

NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

Run flat tires and a C-5 can carry more of them. As a former mechanized mortar gunner and sniper, I'd rather change a tire than break track for repair. Peace through superior (Almighty, overwhelming, devastating) firepower. Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The tires probably have "donuts" in them like the Soviet BRDM wheeled APC did, so they can run flat while engaging the enemy. I hope, for the sake of the U.S. grunts inside, that they have better armor than the BRDM does. The Bradleys' 25mm gun ate BRDMs in Desert Storm and left burning heaps of steel, rubber, POL, and dead Iraqis in their wake. I heard that the Bradleys even killed some T54/55 tanks when they hit them in the turret ring with AP rounds.
<br>
<br>Shot, move, and communicate!
<br>
<br>As an old infantry guy who rode among the last of the gas powered 113s, major pucker factor, I'd like to give one of the Russian BMP-3 IFVs a work out!
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (12344mag, 117LBS, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 43 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,320
Posts18,505,806
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.