-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I recently acquired an M70 classic featherweight in 280 Rem, with the intention of fitting it with a McMillan Win compact or hunters edge stock. This will be used as a general purpose hunting rifle.

The cost difference is not really an issue, and I'm not looking for an ultra lite rifle. That being said, are there any pros/cons, other than weight, when choosing edge vs. standard fill in a hunting rifle stock. Thanks, John

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have a standard fill on a Rem 700 Custom .280 Rem. It's the Mt. Rifle pattern. The stock is light enough for me as the gun is used for stand hunting and some still hunting.

I don't have any experience with the Edge so can't help you there.

PM me if you want to sell that rifle though. wink

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
6-7oz lighter, but alot of $ per oz. Both work quite well, I'd only go edge when trying to shave every last bit of weight.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
A standard fill stock weighs about 32oz. About the same as most standard walnut stocks, and a little MORE than a walnut Featherweight stock.

If I'm not trying to save some weight I'll stick with the factroy stock in most cases. Buying the Edge from here is around $80 more and the only way to go IMHO. If I'm going to spend $440 for a stock that doesn't do anything different from the stock that comes on the rifle, spending $518 for 7oz less weight is a bargain.

Edge stocks also come with pillars standard. Costs extra if you want them in the standard stock.

Last edited by JMR40; 10/16/12.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Be patient I just snagged an Hunters Edge fwt inlet the other day for $375 in the classifieds . Just dropped my M70 SS FWT .30-06 to get pillar bedded into it since it is an ADL style. I'll be into it for the cost of a new edge when all is said and done.

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
In a FWT I would definitely go Edge. I hate a butt heavy rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A long action FWT in an Edge will scale around 7 pounds with scope if you are at all sensible with your scope and mount selection. A standard McMillan is going to weigh 7.5+ with the same scope and rings. In the FWT contour a Hunter's Edge balances well and is about as good as it gets for a general purpose rifle. The relatively new Winchester Hunter in Edge fill may be a better feeling stock and just a couple ounces heavier......

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You will be happy with the Edge....it is hard to get a M70 FW too light.Just the nature of the beast and an Edge matches it perfectly.

In a standard caliber like 270,280, or 30/06,recoil is well managed.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slamo dunk I'd go Edge fill

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
OP Offline
J
I took the factory stock off today during inspection, before shooting the rifle. I was a little surprised at how light the wood stock actually was. I didn't have a scale, but I can't imagine it would come in more than 25 oz, give or take. Recoil felt a little stout with federal premium 150 partitions, but very manageable. I think the edge fill will keep the weight and balance about the same, which is very good as it is. Seems like a no brainer. Thanks for the input.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

That is definitely my choice as well, especially with a fwt barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Yep. Go for balance.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The edge stocks seem a little stiffer than standard glass ones, which is another factor in favour of the edge. I would definitely go with the edge on a featherweight for balance (as others have said).

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ok just a few things here and I built a 280AI with a fw barrel in a edge fill stock.

A Winchester feather weight isn't as light as it sounds. A standard fill stock wouldn't suck. I don't like the "feather weight" pattern. I used hunters edge....compact with edge fill

I totally agree with the guy that said build for balance. A edge fill will balance nice. Depending on barrel length a standard fill might too.

The fella that says anything other than edge fill is a waste of money is simply incorrect. Comparing a standard fill stock of 32oz to a factory stock the weighs 32oz is more than funny. How many options do you have with a 32oz factory stock? How stiff is it?...........lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Definitely.

Love the FW barreled action in the Hunter's EDGE.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jmvostmyer
I took the factory stock off today during inspection, before shooting the rifle. I was a little surprised at how light the wood stock actually was. I didn't have a scale, but I can't imagine it would come in more than 25 oz, give or take. Recoil felt a little stout with federal premium 150 partitions, but very manageable. I think the edge fill will keep the weight and balance about the same, which is very good as it is. Seems like a no brainer. Thanks for the input.

You may be surprised that your stock probably weighs more like 32 oz's so you will most likely lose almost a 1/2 a pound by going with the edge (hunters compact pattern)...I've got one on my EW and I love it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
If that fwt stock fits you well, I'd personally think long and hard about a mcmillan fwt with the edge technology. I had a compact edge and didn't care for the stock fit myself. So much so that I sold the rifle.
For myself, if I was going that way (mcmillan stock) I'd thin about a sako classic with the edge technology, I believe they can be inletted for a winchester.(one of the many advantages of mcmillan stocks)
Best bet is being able to handle several stocks to see what suits you, before dropping $500+.
One primary reason I am running a couple remington 700s right now is that there are several stocks for them that fit me very well, but that's another discussion!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,217
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.