Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
8SNAKE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This isn't exactly a backpacking question, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. I want to get a cot to use in my 8-man tipi next elk season. I use an outfitter with horses to pack my gear to base camp and back out, so I don't need the lightest setup on the market but I don't want a heavy or bulky cot either.

This seems like a pretty decent option for my needs.

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/alps/products/furniture/cots/lightweight-cot

Thermarest offers a couple of very light weight cots, but I feel like I'd be paying 4-5 times the price (found the Alps for about $43) for less sleeping space. Obviously the weight savings is the difference, but I don't think the horse will notice either way. smile

Anyone use the Alps cot? Other options that I should be looking at?

GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I don't know about that model I have a walmart one that I use for campground camping. Make sure you have a pad to lay on top of it. First time I used it the cold air swept up under the cot and I froze my balls off.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Barely saved mine the one time I slept on a cot:). Now I just sleep on a insulated air mattress. Way warmer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have a couple of those same Alps cots. They work best with a little padding/insulation on top for sure. A 1" or thicker self inflating pad helps immensely - the thicker the better. for car camping when bulk doesn't matter, we use 3" pads on top. They're wider than most cots which is a big help comfort wise.

All the reviews say they're hard to set up but the reviewers just aren't setting them up right. Until you use it a couple times and stretch the canvas, the side rails will be a bear to get in the pockets. As the fabric softens after a night or 2, they'll be easy.
Most people try to stretch the canvas to install the legs. The canvas won't stretch. The trick to attaching the legs is to stand up holding 1 rail so the other is on the floor. Insert the leg in the bottom rail, then push down on the top end of the leg to compress it. The top rail will then slip right over it. Tear it down the same way or you'll never get the legs out of the holes. This way they come right out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
As other posters said, you will still need a pad on top or you will freeze your ass off.

That said, I skip the lightweight cot and just go with a Neo Air all season pad.

If I were to get a new pad, I would get one of the Exped pads. Which one would depend on how cold it gets in your AO. Montana, Wyoming and Dakotas cold I would get the Downmat 9, warmer areas, one of the synmats if weight is a concern.

I do have one of the Luxury Lite cots. It developed a tear in the fabric summer before last and had to be sent back for repairs, but instead of repairing they just replaced the fabric.

The last time it was used, I noticed one of the feet/legs was broken when I took it apart. I have not yet emailed the company for replacement, but considering their service last time I don't expect any problems.

Last edited by elkhunter_241; 10/08/12.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
IC B2

8SNAKE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the feedback. I will be using a down air mat in conjunction with the cot, so no worries there.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I used something similar to that low cot for an entire year of living in a tipi during weekends (was building a cottage 200y away).

The fact that it is low is an advantage in that you can shove a whole bunch of leaves underneath there! If you want to stay neat, pack leaves, dried grass, etc into garbage bags and then shove them under your cot. I still did use a regular inflatable pad under me and I was never cold.

Cots in general tend to be kinda narrow though and it's hard to curl up in them because they sorta bag in the the center.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i bought one of the xlarge ones at cabelas. kinda like the old army cots. it's good.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been using the Roll-A-Cots for almost 10 years and love these things. The wife let me use her's on a moose hunt while we were dating and that's when I discovered them.

They are easily packed and easy to set up and the carry bag can be used to store things in while attached to the cot itself.

Now we've got 2 and use them on all our non backpacking hunts. We use the 2.5" foam pads used in rv beds and it's almost like sleeping at home.

http://campspecialties.com/roll-a-cot.htm

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That is what I need and they are made here in North America, where I prefer to buy my gear!

Two cots, two chairs and a table, the Seek Outside 12 man tipi and my Four Dog Ti Large stove, now, that will be a camp for an old geezer to be comfy in!

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Read this.

http://www.campspecialties.com/ContactDave.htm

All those products used to be from Camp Time and are all still the same.

It looks like he sold the Camp Time name and still makes all the items and sells them to the new Camp Time owner in addition to selling them under his new name Camp Specialties.

That being said I have four of of the older cots, two of the smallest size and two of the long wide cots, two of the roll a chairs, two roll a stools, one hiking stool and two roll a tables.

All are first rate and work every single time I set them up, the cots in particular have been used a lot over the last 15 years and still work flawlessly.

Every year we hit the Montana raft trip I get told to bring my tables.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Byers of Maine...?

Yeah. Made in China. Shipped to Maine, then to wherever.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The main reason we went with the Alps Mountaineer cot was the side rails. They're in 3 pieces instead of the usual 2 so the thing breaks down to a considerably shorter length. For most people, that's not an issue but we pack with llamas and the longer rails won't fit in the panniers. It's 30" wide so the legs are the longest thing in the bag.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I found a pic of the one I have. I got mine from Cabelas for $50 IIRC.

[Linked Image]

Here's my brother snoozing on one by the fire - hamming it up a bit wink
[Linked Image]

B
B
I use the Roll-A Cot� long and wide - (The three leg version) I have tried others however, this has proven to be the best cot for my use..This will pack nicely on stock and in camp works great.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 222Sako, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 257 roberts, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,285
Posts18,486,876
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.