Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#6973239 10/15/12
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm in two fantasy football leagues, one I'm dominating, the other I'm a playoff team. Between the two, I stand to win a fairly large sum even if I don't win the bowl. Last year I got second place in one and made a few bucks in the other and treated myself to a Browning BLR in 243 as my "driving" gun. I intend to blow this money too. My arsenal is lacking a black powder gun and smokeless appeals to me considering I live in a "no center fire" area. Smokeless seems logical?

Should I get one of the savage ml2 or get a Remington 700ml and get the conversion done with a 45cal? Which and why?

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Why smokeless . Thier are no better then Black powder . If like u say u want a great muzzleloader go with the Aulitmate 500 yard gun .O r just go with the most Accrate muzzleloader aroung.The CVA accra ,250 or less yards, thier great for the money

Last edited by savage62; 10/15/12.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by woodsonchris
My arsenal is lacking a black powder gun and smokeless appeals to me

Sort of a contradiction.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You caught the drift

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by savage62
Why smokeless . Thier are no better then Black powder . If like u say u want a great muzzleloader go with the Aulitmate 500 yard gun .O r just go with the most Accrate muzzleloader aroung.The CVA accra ,250 or less yards, thier great for the money

The lack of cleaning appeals to me. Rifle like ballistics in a slug gun only area=win?

IC B2

J
JSC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Both shoot great. The 700ML converted is a little more personalized and appeals to me since you find and build it rather than just buy it off of the shelf.

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSC
Both shoot great. The 700ML converted is a little more personalized and appeals to me since you find and build it rather than just buy it off of the shelf.

I dont know if I can blow even fantasy money on what it would take to make a 700. Thinking a Savage would do just fine. If only I can find a stainless synthetic.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
My arsenal is lacking a black powder gun and smokeless appeals to me

Sort of a contradiction.

thats becouse he isnt looking for a black powder gun or a muzzleloader what he is looking for a muzzleloading rifle.

if we are talking fantasy money and your wanting a BP gun , then I would suggest getting a proven , truly long range gun. In order to do that your going to have to put the inlines aside and go traditional long rang rifles . Like Tryon , Rigby , Mortimer ��
But that�s going to also mean that your going to have to learn to clean the gun and take care of it .
Simply put , BP guns are not in the world of Ronco . There is no such thing as a set it and forget it

[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
May I recommend looking at a Encore. There are some really sweet smokeless 45 aftermarket barrels for them. Pac Nor is one company. If you get on Dougs Message Board someone there will be able to direct you. Plus if you ever go to sell it you can sell the frame to anyone and the barrel to another Smokeless fan.

Just my two cents

Last edited by 243kid; 10/16/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pac-Nor makes a smokeless barrel that goes on like any other barrel for an Encore? Anybody got one want to comment on how they shoot?

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm in two fantasy football leagues, one I'm dominating, the other I'm a playoff team. Between the two, I stand to win a fairly large sum even if I don't win the bowl. Last year I got second place in one and made a few bucks in the other and treated myself to a Browning BLR in 243 as my "driving" gun. I intend to blow this money too. My arsenal is lacking a black powder gun and smokeless appeals to me considering I live in a "no center fire" area. Smokeless seems logical?

Should I get one of the savage ml2 or get a Remington 700ml and get the conversion done with a 45cal? Which and why?

Guessin' the first place for you to start is a brain scan.

Sorry to sound so gruff (not really), but just a friendly suggestion of sorts...you could actually get a BP gun and shoot real BP and lead, and in the process find out they are as easy to clean as smokeless. Easier in some cases actually. They tend to be accurate, reliable (assuming you are diligent), and (oh, the horror!) they kill chitt dead. Atop all that, you won't be caught in the woods looking like you found a gun in the wreckage of a Klingon battle cruiser. Too, as Capchee said, you might even go for the gold and have something worthy of the 1,000 yard line.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
During 40+ years of shooting black powder I have never felt put out by having to clean a BP gun at the end of the day. The thing with smokeless vs. black is, you'll be cleaning the gun after use anyway, right? Right? Just use hot soapy water instead of the noxious chemicals generally used for smokeless cleanup. Like DD said, you might find that the BP residue is easier to clean in the long run.

Trust me, as a fellow Marylander, our deer die just as dead with BP as with smokeless.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am delighted with the practicality of my Savage smokeless. It is a great hunting tool. IMO, smokeless made the blued version viable as I haven't learned to like stainless.
Cleaning the Savage is absolutely nothing like that required by the BP guns. This appeals to me.
I don't have the interest (energy? enthusiasm?) I once had to go thru all the motions to keep on top of my old flintlock. Guess the same can be said for my percussion gun. Both have successfully taken deer for me.
I would not feel bad about your Remington idea either, but the Savages seem to simply perform well straight out of the box.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
But in the late 60s to early 70 Black powder was the only way to go .The hunting season was Muzzleloading an Black Powder hunting.
Back in the early times with the M.L. season was more fun u had to learn how to shoot the gun ,the powder charge, the cap.where they hit and yhe looks brought u back in time . The Muzzleloaders of today is buy the gun dump 49 gr of modern powder an a sabot bullet an shoot. The big thing with me is WHY A 209 WHEN A RIFLE PRIMMER WOULD BE WAY BETTER LIKE THE OLD ACCRA SHOTS

J
JSC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Blah, blah, blah...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
looks like people saying no smokeless haven't really owned one. smokeless is one hell of a lot more easier to deal with.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you shoot Blackhorn 209 you won't need smokeless it cleans to bare steel with a couple patches of hopes #9. buy an encore , couple jugs bh 209 magnum 209 primers an go kill chit .. the end

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
looks like people saying no smokeless haven't really owned one. smokeless is one hell of a lot more easier to deal with.

WOW
do you really think that there is anyone here that has not shot smokeless ?
That no one has ever cleaned a rifle that shot smokeless ?
Now speaking personally , I have never owned and never will own a muzzle loading rifle that shoots smokeless. Frankly the idea of it boggles my mind .

Myself I believe that the real and true statement to your opinion is that many here have never shot true BP . Instead they believe the hype they read and then repeat it .
Or in a even smaller case , the tried it a couple times . Never took the time to work a load , learn the rifle ���
Frankly I find it takes a whole lot less time to clean my muzzleloaders , then it does to properly clean my center fire rifles .
In Fact , if one is worried about getting their hands dirty while cleaning a barrel that used BP . So what . How many just painted their face with camo paint or squirted any manor of animal piss on their bodies .
For god sakes man , you washable . If it takes longer for you to clean a BP rifle then it does to get all that other nasty off your body , then your doing something WRONG

If you want to own a BP rifle , then BUY a black powder rifle .
If you want a muzzle loading rifle , then buy one .
If you want that to be smokeless . Then ha , go buy that . Its your money and you will be spending lots of it over the life of your rifle . Well unless you don�t shoot it often . Which means your not cleaning it often anyway . So what the hell difference does it make

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Why so much drama?
You guys sound like a bunch of girls talking about a cheating boyfriend. The OP asked opinions about two rifles that load from the muzzle and shoot smokeless powder, and I am sure he'd like opinions from people who have had at least one of them.
Op, PM TiminTN, he has done the Savage for sure and may have converted a 700 ML.
The rest of you guys need to go buy some tampons...sheesh

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (222Sako, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 22250rem, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 3,271 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,707
Posts18,534,814
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.