Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
dogdoc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I mostly hunt squirrels with a .22 , even with the 20 grain super colibri round. My 12 year old took one yesterday at about 25 yards with that round. For safety on my farm near town I am going to have him use a 410 pump. We used to use shotguns all the time when I was a kid. I am just wondering if many still use a shotgun? Also how far do you think the little 20 grain super colibri will travel at 500 fps (poor ballistic coef). I am guessing about 300 to 400 yards??

dogdoc

Last edited by dogdoc; 10/18/12.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see no shame in it and use a shotgun most times I hunt squirrels. Most of my squirrel hunting is in the early season and I prefer the shotgun then. Later in the year, with fewer leaves is when I usually start using a .22.

BTW, a .410 with 3" #4s or #5s works great on squirrels!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
i used to use a remington 1100 20 gauge all the time to squirrel hunt when i was younger ive killed a ton of them with it so i see no shame in it i mostly use a .22 now just because i prefer to head shoot them so i dont have to pick the buckshot out of them

You dont hurt them if you dont hit them
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a 16 gauge this time of year because the leaves are still so thick and the grays are wild as heck.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Shotguns makes cleaning messy and eating sometimes pellet-y, but whatever works.

Leaves on trees can be an advantage. Use them as cover.

[Linked Image]

Went deer hunting this morning, but got bored....

Ella

Last edited by Ella; 10/18/12.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
In a populated area such as you describe, I would be ashamed to shoot up in trees with a rifle. I wouldn't be ashamed to shoot squirrel with a shotgun in the boondocks either, but the situation you describe was absolutely made for a .410. Go for it!

I envy you that boy btw. Good times.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Shotgun is not only safer but you will probably find that you have far less chance of wounding and losing squirrels. I use number 4 shot in any gauge. Those larger bbs are way easier to pick out and they usually fall out when you skin em.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
We are taking the kids out for the annual squirrel camp weekend starting tomorrow. Normally I just sit back with the MKII pistol and let the kids hit or miss with their single shot .410's. This year we have a must eat what you kill last meal on Saturday night. I'll be carrying the wifes Mossberg 500E in .410 this year and backing up their shots and taking the longer pokes. I'm a healthy eater grin. When the leaves are down and there isn't so much pressure, I prefer a rimfire here in the mountains.

On an endless quest for furry targets.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
there's no shame in hunting squirrels with a shotgun. i started out borrowing my Grandpa's 20 guage Stevens bolt action, single shot.

using high-power number 4's it'd knock the harriest buck squirrel in the woods out of a near 100 yellow poplar when he was curled up at the top soaking in the last of the day's sunshine.

but, .22 are more fun, but have long since stopped shooting up into trees with them, because of housing density now. for me, it has become a safety issue.

having a .22 round drop down on a roof and then roll into a gutter can be disconcerting to a homeowner outside raking leaves on a beautiful fall day.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Nope, no shame at all. Matter a fact, later on, and if I'm hunting with someone, it's safer. Especially if they are on the ground.

maddog

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
.22's are great when it's safe to use 'em and that is a good point you guys brought up.

For me a .36 BP rifle is a heck of a lot of fun during squirrel season after the leaves start dropping. A .32 might be better but I don't have one and the little .36 works fine and luckily is at it's most accurate with light powder charges.

A pound of black goes a long way in this little rascal.

Last edited by SmokeEater2; 10/18/12.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You guys with safety issues might consider a .22 or even .177 pellet rifle for squirreling. .177's to the head and body are deadly and the pellets are going to fall too lightly to be a danger.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rossileverboy92
i used to use a remington 1100 20 gauge all the time to squirrel hunt when i was younger ive killed a ton of them with it so i see no shame in it i mostly use a .22 now just because i prefer to head shoot them so i dont have to pick the buckshot out of them

You hunt squirrels with buckshot? How big do they grow where you hunt? grin

I hunted with a shotgun until my wife (whose dad always hunted with at 22) bit onto a piece of shot and hurt her tooth. She told me not to bring home anymore squirrels shot with a shotgun.
I replied that there wouldnt be anymore squirrels.
She told me to shoot them with a 22, like her dad did.
I explained the old 22 I had was not accurate enough.
She said to go buy a 22 that was accurate and I did, bout 30 years ago.

Gotta love that woman!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like a .22 better after the leaves are gone, but I'll use a shotgun when necessary (early season, or when mandated by regs).

I grew up with one of the Marlin 60s firmly clenched in my squirrel-killin' fists, and probably shot more with it than I have with a shotgun.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have my 12YO son use his .410 barrel on his Rossi. I feel much better knowing he is using shot and not a .22 that can go for a long ways. I use my Ruger .32 single six, but I only shoot at squirrels on the ground as I dont care if I get anything. He is shooting both at the ground and into the trees so I feel it is much safer.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Went last weekend for our annual "Squirrel Camp". We drag the kids around National Forest and piss off bowhunters for a weekend every year. Its a good time and we teach them woodsman skills, hunting skills, how to prep what they kill and cook it. We managed to scratch out 11 limb chickens this go round and scout some old deer hunting areas. My little shooting partner was off his game and shot about $10 worth of .410 shells to bring back one tiny squirrel. He shot under everything this weekend. We cleaned them up, pressure cooked them in chicken stock, pulled the meat and cooked it in water, Golden mushroom soup, and milk. No leftovers after that meal. One I had to shoot running on a follow up to my quick draw partners leaf scattering laugh. Wifes Mossberg 500E in .410 full choke. Still have to aim like it is a rifle for the closer shots.
[Linked Image]

On an endless quest for furry targets.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
That Harrisonburg country is some beautiful country..glad there is still lots of game..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It has been many a moon since I have used a shotgun on squirrel, but this thread inspired me.

[Linked Image]

Even went retro with an old box of Super X

CK
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
no shame at all. i really enjoy hunting with my vintage shotguns for squirrel. i just don't shoot many with them because it peppers them too bad. one of these days when i can afford it, i want to buy a win 42 and use it for squirrels. but they are out of my budget range these days.

My diploma is a DD214
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I love to hunt squirrels, period. While I most often use a .22 rifle, I have killed many squirrels with various shotguns. Once a season, I take the old Winchester single shot 16 gauge that was my Grandfather's out for a hunt. Be safe with whatever gun that you are hunting with. Enjoy the hunt.

μολὼν λαβέ
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.