-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
Success! Well after everyones responses to point us in the right direction, we ended up booking a hunt with Pat Jones out of Laramie. Public Land, on foot hunt, no horses. THis was a general season tag so we ended up hunting the Snowy Range.

We got to Wyoming a day early and toured town, great place. Met up with our guides and headed out to camp on Sunday the 14th. Went to the Snowy Range and set up camp. Camp was some travel trailers, cook area, pretty nice set up for us folks used to tenting it. Plan was to get my buddy Jeremy a bull, his first, and me a cow for eating.

First morning Jeremy and Pat headed up one drainage and John, Jon, and I headed up another. I saw one elk bull at 80 yards, no shot, lots of moose, and some beautiful scenery. Jeremy scored on a 5 point at 9 AM!

Second day we went out in the AM to a clear cut area and I spotted 4 elk running through the trees. I pulled up the Weatherby, passed on a small bull, passed on a calf that was with a cow, and got a nice cow that was the last in line. Plan complete!

So being in a similar business catering to the outdoor crowd, I have to say Pat Jones ran a great camp, food was good and plentiful, elk or not they were great guys. I would recommend them, cost was very reasonable.

LOTS of walking, no horses, it was a rewarding and beautiful hunt.

I don't know how to post photos but I do have a few.

GB1

L
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
L
Sounds like a great time was had by all. Photos are easy to put up, just put them in a webhosting like photobucket then copy the image link and paste it in your post. Pictures are definately needed in your post.

G
OP Offline
G
Hopefully here are the photos:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congradulations. I love to hear when a plan comes together.

Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations. Looks like you had a great hunt and western experience.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

R
rdd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Very nice bull, congratulations!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Awesome! Congrats

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well done, and thx for sharing!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice bull, great time..thanks...;

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice elk, sounds like a good time with a quality outfitter. You did well!

IC B3

G
OP Offline
G
Thanks guys. This is our second elk hunt together, first was to Montana, all DIY, I got a beautiful 5 point, Jeremy blanked. THis hunt is an achievement of a lifetime goal by my friend who has always wanted an elk. I went along to see it hopefully happen. We opted for a guided trip to hopefully greaten our chances at him getting a bull. I was secondary truthfully, just wanted to see the Western Mountains again and all the game.

I have to say $2500 for a guided trip was a hell of a bargain for what we got. Even though we were hunting essentially the same as all the other guys camped out there, you just can't beat local knowledge. Matter of fact the place Jeremy got the bull the Outfitter called it a horse area. When we asked the meaning, he said no one was stupid enough to walk in there for an elk! When they got the meat out 2 days later Jeremy agreed. he said it was the hardest most rewarding trip of his life.

Jeremy is from Michigan, I am from Alaska. Next year we are going for moose here so hopefully we can score again. A few things I learned -

1. Wyoming has some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet
2. I live at +/- 14 feet aboce sea level on Prince of Wales Island. That 10000 feet is a PIA.
3. I need to get an antelope tag some day, they are an amazing critter.
4. Listen to an outfitter, they are a wealth of knowledge about an area and the animals. I learned a lot about elk.
5. Always appreciate good times with friends, successful hunt or not

So we are back in Laramie for three more nights checking out other wildlife. Might be time for a ladies volleyball match tonight - UW versus the Air Force. Love the shorts.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrats..Thanks for Sharing.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congratulations. Very nice bull. My planned elk hunt was finished three months before it started when I was kicked by a horse in August. So, I will hunt vicariously this year by viewing everyone's photos.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a great time. I love wyoming. Eventhough i lived in Montana. Heck- i would choose any of them out there vs MN. Someday.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
"So we are back in Laramie for three more nights checking out other wildlife. Might be time for a ladies volleyball match tonight - UW versus the Air Force. Love the shorts."

Now that you know how to post pics...:)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats, love the volleyball comment too. That's a really nice 5 pt and cool you could be there for his first!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice hunt!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds and looks like a great time. You'll likely be back.

1Minute
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good show. Thanks for sharing.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (257 mag, 1badf350, 160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 30 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,541
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.