Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
My wife never hunted before. she watched a Steven Rinella show when he was on the Travel Channel, and was impressed with the way he presented hunting, as a means to get food, rather than a bunch of loudmouths hootin and hollerin about a big ol buck for the wall, like a lot of hunting shows. She decided to try to make some meat, so we applied for doe tags in Wyoming. We both drew and headed up ther the 26th of September. We got there too late to hunt the first evening. Second day, we got to 450 yards; she wasn't comfortable with the shot, so I took it. While I was skinning it out, my wife went out on her own. A few minutes later I heard a shot. She missed; overestimated distance ( I still had the rangefinder with me). Weather got crappy (torrential downpour), so we headed into town. We stayed an extra night and got out and set up on a high point in the morning. As the fog was lifting, she took her doe at 250 yards with her .243.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I didn't have a tree or one of them fancy trailer hitch mounted skinning gambrels, so I invented one with 2 come alongs and two pipes shoved in the stake pockets of the truck bed. Worked pretty slick.

We processed the ourselves ths time (I usually had them done in Denver). We made Italian Sausage, breakfast sausage, stew meat and fajita strips. So far all of it has been really good..,except the tenderloins; I don't think I got them out of the carcasses quick enough. The critters were skinned, quartered and in the cooler within an hour of hitting the ground, but I made the mistake of leaving the tenderloin and back straps in the rib cages. That won't happen again.

We also drew doe deer tags for Colorado starting the 27th. Here's hoping we can get some more practice cuttin' meat.

My apologies for typos. I'm posting from my phone and am sick of going back and correcting mistakes.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations on your wife's first kill - good story too!

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hopefully it is the first of many successful hunts for the two of you.... Congrats to the new hunter!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good job to both of you!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats on the hunt. I like your hoist...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nicely done..!

I like the improvised tree as well.!

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats to both of you. Hope you can get her out and find a deer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good for her! Quite the skinning outfit you got there, looks real handy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
cool smile

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good job. Your wife did great.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not a bad shot for a first timer. Must have had some range practice prior to the hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It sounds like you may have a new hunting partner there! Good job on getting it done.

My wife has agreed to hog hunting, but still feels that deer are just too pretty to shoot! She will eat either one of them...... (grin)

Now with even more aplomb
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Congratulations to both of you! Sounds like you have a new hunting partner to help fill the freezer. Good luck in Colorado!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JPro
It sounds like you may have a new hunting partner there! Good job on getting it done.

My wife has agreed to hog hunting, but still feels that deer are just too pretty to shoot! She will eat either one of them...... (grin)

She cried for a couple seconds after shooting it, and I did the dressing and skinning; but she was just fine with the before and after parts. Looking forward to this coming weekend; hoping to add some venison to the freezer.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ShootDogs
My wife never hunted before. she watched a Steven Rinella show when he was on the Travel Channel, and was impressed with the way he presented hunting, as a means to get food, rather than a bunch of loudmouths hootin and hollerin about a big ol buck for the wall, like a lot of hunting shows. She decided to try to make some meat, so we applied for doe tags in Wyoming. We both drew and headed up ther the 26th of September. We got there too late to hunt the first evening. Second day, we got to 450 yards; she wasn't comfortable with the shot, so I took it. While I was skinning it out, my wife went out on her own. A few minutes later I heard a shot. She missed; overestimated distance ( I still had the rangefinder with me). Weather got crappy (torrential downpour), so we headed into town. We stayed an extra night and got out and set up on a high point in the morning. As the fog was lifting, she took her doe at 250 yards with her .243.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I didn't have a tree or one of them fancy trailer hitch mounted skinning gambrels, so I invented one with 2 come alongs and two pipes shoved in the stake pockets of the truck bed. Worked pretty slick.

We processed the ourselves ths time (I usually had them done in Denver). We made Italian Sausage, breakfast sausage, stew meat and fajita strips. So far all of it has been really good..,except the tenderloins; I don't think I got them out of the carcasses quick enough. The critters were skinned, quartered and in the cooler within an hour of hitting the ground, but I made the mistake of leaving the tenderloin and back straps in the rib cages. That won't happen again.

We also drew doe deer tags for Colorado starting the 27th. Here's hoping we can get some more practice cuttin' meat.

My apologies for typos. I'm posting from my phone and am sick of going back and correcting mistakes.

Fantastic. I also hope that she sticks with it. I also am put off by the "hunters" on these tv shows. If hunting were REALLY like that I would lose interest FAST. Congratulations to the new hunter. Keep it up.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Your wife did a great job. The only big animal my wife ever bagged was me, and it must have been for "the meat" too because at 300+ lbs. I'm no trophy.

Last edited by timbo762; 10/22/12.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Congrats to your wife and you for a fine hunt.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Congrats!!! Sounds like she's a keeper!!!
Good luck on the next hunt!!!
Keep her happy!

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats, and nice shot!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 673, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,225 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,086
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.