Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Not that I needed a new excuse to start looking for a new rifle, but why not? Here's my situation. I have a 300 WSM w/ 3.5-10 scope that I use for all big game from antelope to elk (and hopefully moose eventually). If I had to have one big game rifle for Colorado, then I'd stop there, but like the rest of you, I have the sickness. Right now, I hunt speed goat, whitetail, muley and wapiti. I think that the 300 is a little overkill (even though, there's no such thing) for the whitetails and antelope. Keeping the 300, I'd say that the rifle for this thread topic would work on the antelope and whitetails with no problem and also be a good choice for mule deer (muleys would be the "grey"/overlap area). I'm thinking of things like the 25-06, 260, 7-08, etc. I will reload, but would still like to be able to find a box at a decent store. For the scope, I think that I should step the magnification up to 12. I'm thinking of rifles between the Model 70 and Cooper for price range. Your 2 cents is appreciated (unless your initials are GN - just kidding, but I think you only hunt elk). Thanks, UBG.

Last edited by UncleBigGreen; 10/20/12.

Human rights don't have expiration dates.
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking a 25/06 spitting 100gr NBTs or 110 ABs will work okay for my sister (I'd use it if I weren't hunting the same seasons as her). That one gets my vote! Set up something to weigh 7.5-8, 24" barrel please, and no more than 10x on the top end, turrets a given.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
260 and a Cooper.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Thanks, Tanner. Your avatar looks like a younger guy, so I still may go with 12 power max, but I think 25-06 is where I may end-up. 24" barrel sound right, too.

U
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Originally Posted by Goats260
260 and a Cooper.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Very nice goat! What kind of glass?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UncleBigGreen
Thanks, Tanner. Your avatar looks like a younger guy, so I still may go with 12 power max, but I think 25-06 is where I may end-up. 24" barrel sound right, too.
Can't argue with wanting a little more on the top end, I think you'll still end up with a heck of a rig. That one pictured is 24", and about .65" at the muzzle. With 3 rounds down and a sling it goes 8lbs on the nose, which is right where I like them.

U
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Originally Posted by Tanner
Can't argue with wanting a little more on the top end, I think you'll still end up with a heck of a rig. That one pictured is 24", and about .65" at the muzzle. With 3 rounds down and a sling it goes 8lbs on the nose, which is right where I like them.

Now we know where my tax return is going (usually around $2500). Ha. That's not to say that we should end this thread. I still like to hear everyone else's opinion. Really, all of them have been correct so far.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
3.5-10x50mm with the long range duplex made for my load. I shoot the 140 Accubonds.

U
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Originally Posted by Goats260
3.5-10x50mm with the long range duplex made for my load. I shoot the 140 Accubonds.

Maybe Tanner is right about the optic, but I'll probably still go to 12. Thanks again. It's a darn shame that both the 260 and 25-06 interest me.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
As you know your 300 shortie will work just fine but since you want another rifle, I'd suggest a fast 6mm, 270 or even a 280AI. Nothing wrong with a scope with an upper end of around 12, 14 or 16 either....You gotta remember Tanner is still a young buck and some of us older guys (not saying you're an older guy, but just incase) need the higher magnification and better glass.....Just about any platform will work as far as accuracy is concerned so I won't go into details about an exact rifle or brand.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

U
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
25-06: more commercial offerings and slightly more zing, but longer action and a couple more ounces.

260: still has some commercial offerings, but not as much, and ample power and trajectory. Shorter action, so more familiarity (to my WSM) and a few less ounces.

Decisions.

U
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
As you know your 300 shortie will work just fine but since you want another rifle, I'd suggest a fast 6mm, 270 or even a 280AI. Nothing wrong with a scope with an upper end of around 12, 14 or 16 either....You gotta remember Tanner is still a young buck and some of us older guys (not saying you're an older guy, but just incase) need the higher magnification and better glass.....Just about any platform will work as far as accuracy is concerned so I won't go into details about an exact rifle or brand.

Thanks, BSA. I'm a middle-aged buck, but I can run most young bucks into the ground (I run a bunch and did 10 14ers last summer - do I sound like Al Bundy now). The eyes on the other hand are decent, but not like they were 20 yrs ago. Sounds like we're all thinking in the same ballpark.

Yes, the 300 WSM does the trick. The first goat I dropped with it was on the ground and dead before I recovered from the recoil (205 yds). I used the same load (Federal Premium 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip) on a 300+ lb. muley the next year. He took 1/2 step forward, dropped and did a 2 second chicken dance. Maybe I'll just buy a [bleep] ton of 300 WSM reloading stuff, but what's not to like about getting another rifle (other than a few more dollars)?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
.25-06, given what you already have. I use a Browning 1885 in that caliber and love it. Mine has a fixed 6x but whatever optics float your boat. 115 partitions or 117 SSTs do it for me.

For goats and whitetail anything from .243 to .30-06 is fine but the .25-06 is really a nice cartridge.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Green, A .300 is my main big game caliber..all four or five of them..But like most on this site, rifles are just plain fun..Years ago I picked my three calibers for this area: a .22-250 or Swift, a 25-06, and a .300...I have a 7mm-08,not to impressive to me..But I also just picked up in the spring,a 700 rebarreled with a 26 inch barrel..always wanted that..Now, when I think of my favorite three, the .270 keeps edging in to push out the 25-06...I haven't shot this .270 all that much..but so far have shot coyotes, mulies, and antelope with it..I am impressed..Used 110 Serrias on varmits, and 140 grain Horn. and Serria's on the other game..If I get a chance in the next couple days, I may take an elk with it. Also plan to add whitetails before hunting closes for the year..While I like the .25-06, several times on longer shots, it did not provide the shock to the game that I prefer...Here I am sure the 270 would have the edge due to more bullet wt..IF my middle rifle were going to do lots of service as a long range coyote, rockchuck, etc. rifle, Iwould go with the .25-06. If it were mainly a big game rifle then I would go with the .270.. I would scope it with at least a 4-12..my .25-06 has a 4-14..When I get switched around and get a couple more scopes, the .270 will probably have one also..BUT the simple thing to do is buy them both, then you will besure to have all bases covered..

Molon Labe
U
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Thanks, Stantdm and WCH. It's sounding like the 25-06.

WCH, I don't have quite as powerful 22s. I'll make due with my .223s, but I ain't going to argue. Your picks are great ones.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Thanks, BSA. I'm a middle-aged buck, but I can run most young bucks into the ground (I run a bunch and did 10 14ers last summer - do I sound like Al Bundy now). The eyes on the other hand are decent, but not like they were 20 yrs ago. Sounds like we're all thinking in the same ballpark.

Yes, the 300 WSM does the trick. The first goat I dropped with it was on the ground and dead before I recovered from the recoil (205 yds). I used the same load (Federal Premium 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip) on a 300+ lb. muley the next year. He took 1/2 step forward, dropped and did a 2 second chicken dance. Maybe I'll just buy a [bleep] ton of 300 WSM reloading stuff, but what's not to like about getting another rifle (other than a few more dollars)?

Brother, I'm with you on the rifle buying aspect. I just can't help myself (I'm almost as bad as tanner in that respect grin). I'm a longtime 30-06 user and recently (within the last 2 years) I've become a loyal 300 wsm user. I shot my buck last year with it at a lasered 600 yards and couldn't have been more pleased. It would be pure goat medicine but so would my other rifles which include a myriad of different chamberings....That's the fun of this disease, good luck with your new rifle purchase grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
U
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U

Brother, I'm with you on the rifle buying aspect. I just can't help myself (I'm almost as bad as tanner in that respect grin). I'm a longtime 30-06 user and recently (within the last 2 years) I've become a loyal 300 wsm user. I shot my buck last year with it at a lasered 600 yards and couldn't have been more pleased. It would be pure goat medicine but so would my other rifles which include a myriad of different chamberings....That's the fun of this disease, good luck with your new rifle purchase grin

Pardon my French, but I think that the 300 WSM is almost up there with beer and the pill.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to argue with a 25-06 for what you plan on hunting with it. I used one for many years for my deer cartridge until I shot out the barrel and found a nice little 270 in a light mountain rifle contour built on a commercial FN Mauser action.
Now, I'm looking for another 25-06 for deer hunting again and I can't even tell you why as my 270 has been a joy to hunt with and has taken down some nice deer and is really easy to carry in the mountains I hunt.

As long as you're in the market, why not just have one built just the way you want it? It just makes the end product that much sweeter to carry IMHO.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Biggest problem with the .260 is the lack of rifle choices... I would love to pick up something like a Stainless SPS and throw a Mickey on it, maybe shorten the barrel an inch or so to 23" (where have I heard that number before, Dober?) but about the only gun Remington currently offers is a Model Seven. Even better would be a Montana .260, but good luck finding one.

Opposite problem for the .25-06. I have a Remington Classic so chambered, and I have eyes for one more definitely and two possible (M70 SPORTER is the definite, an M700 XCR II or Ruger Number 1 are the maybes) but there's a boatload of choices out there.

One wildcard: I really want a Weatherby Vanguard in .240 Weatherby.

Last edited by KDK; 10/20/12.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
2 cents from a novice? Diff Caliber and lower mag on scope?

model 700 lvsf configuration (308)(260)(7-08)
McMillan remmy sporter stock
Swarovski Z3 Riflescopes 3x9x36, W/bipod (shooting 155 gr scenars .308)??? Light enough to carry all day, stable platform to reach out and touch something, & some nice clear glass

Last edited by gotcha; 10/20/12.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,291
Posts18,486,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.