Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have used some of the Kryptik stuff off and on over the last year and have been very happy with it. In September my brother and I backpacked into one of the Montana Unlimited bighorn sheep units and were there for a 6 days. We used a pair of their pants and shirts the whole time (i don't remember off hand exactly which ones). I would imagine between the hike in and out pus walking and looking for sheep we covered at least 40 miles. The only thing I can tell is that the pants are starting to wear a little at the very bottom of the pant leg where my boots probably touch together as I am walking and climbing.

Last edited by LeftHunter; 10/28/12.
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Calvin
I'm afraid Kryptek will be more of the same, which as kept me from getting any. So much cheap chink chit floating around. On a positive note, I destroyed a new pair of cheap chink chit Merino wool First Lite pants today. 7 miles on Fernando apparently was too much for them to not get a giant hole ripped in them. Did manage to spill a little blood, which makes it all better.

Next...
[Linked Image]

My First Lite pants are currently with First Lite either getting sewn back up or replaced. They didn't last 1 weekend in the backcountry. I love merino wool as base layers, but outerwear, not so much.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'll have to wash mine up, and send it back. It just isn't made to last.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is merino wool really tough enough to use as outer wear? I just can't see it lasting, especially when busting through bush, crawling across scree or hiking steep rocky mountain trails.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It's supposed to have that rip stop stitching in it.. I had hopes, as I wanted something quiet for slipping through the brush on the rare dry day. I've got 2 more pairs of those pants, so I'll at least get 2 more hunts..(grin)

I think I'll have momma patch them up and see what happens.

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Is merino wool really tough enough to use as outer wear? I just can't see it lasting, especially when busting through bush, crawling across scree or hiking steep rocky mountain trails.

No, at least not in a pant. I also had high hopes, as they re designed the pant last year to supposedly make them more durable. It's been a while and I haven't heard back from First Lite. But if they send me a new pair I'll be selling them.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Gimme some details on that Kryptek Hoodie please,

How thick is the material? somewhat thin, or a little thicker like a traditional hoodie? Or compared to other Sitka Gear clothing such as Mountain pants, shirts, base layers?

How is the sizing running, order your normal size or +1 size?

Hand pockets? I'm thinking no.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kenneth, mine should be getting here soon, i'll pass on a report once I get them.

Steelhead

A
A
Does Kryptek's rain gear breath well? I have had plenty of problems with other jackets that keep water out but they don't do anything with the heat and moisture coming from my body. Thats what I love about Sitka and the fact that they use gore-tex because it is breathable rain gear. I also haven't had any issues with stitching.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Kenneth, mine should be getting here soon, i'll pass on a report once I get them.

I was kinda hoping for some info before my size ran out, smile

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kenneth, I recieved my Kryptek hoodie yesterday and gave it a good once over, though I obviously haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

The first thing that struck me was how similar it was to my Sitka Mtn shirt, about the same weight (material wise) except with the hood. I also like how the collar goes inside the hood and the single chest pocket is perfect for holding your hunting license/tags. One thing I was a bit surprised at was the sizing, with all the other camo clothing I have bought I always had to go a size bigger but this hoodie is actually a little big on me.

I love my mtn shirt and wear it every hunting season so I can see this getting some use. I'm helping a friend this weekend to try and fill his moose tag and will probably wear it as a layering piece. Also, Cabelas raised the price to $69 too. Hope this helps.

Steelhead

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 3,087 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,353
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.