Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The problem is it weighs more than it needs to, is designed to handle mid pressure loads and is no where near as handy as an AR-15 carbine for up close, so it's a compromise.

Give me a 223/5.56 carbine and when I need to punch holes through things at distance, I'll take my XCR Tactical bolt gun.
Not that I didn't try the 308 auto a few times thing but it just didn't work out when I crunched the numbers.

Last edited by TWR; 10/23/12.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I wouldn't mind an LAR 8, but do the mags just slap in like on an AR-15 or do you have to hook the front and then push up the back? That being said, the FAL with the rail dust cover is ok, but if you want to do a quick cleaning, you have to unscrew the the sides to take the cover off. I had one, and my scope never went back to zero exactly. In the AR platform either the DPMS with Magpul mags, or the LAR 8 with FAL mags, it is easier to break down for cleaning. Fewer parts especially on the gas system. That is why I want to sell my FAL and get a DPMS or RR AR style platform.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Any love around for a Sig?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't know if it is in your price range, but a lot of guys in my unit are reporting really good results with the Larue OBR. Not being a gas gun type I don't own one, but guys I trust love them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AR-10 mags - including the Armalite proprietary mags, are only $30 ea when bought in bulk packs, and the FAL mags are not a whole heckuva lot cheaper.

I'm hoping that when Romney's elected there will be a big sigh of relief, and black guns in general will come down some in price. If that happens then I might buy an FAL to tinker with, and see what it will do. I think the FAL is the only pretty black rifle grin

There was a survey done at FAL Files, and about 1/2 their owners reported that 2.5 MOA was the best they could get out of their rifles. I am disinclined to spend a pile of money on another rifle system, which might not shoot any better than an AK, and weighs as much as an AR-10 frown

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Notropis
Any love around for a Sig?

The Sig 716 has some very nice features, for a .308 carbine. But I'm about done with Sigs, based on three pistols recently bought.

I think Colt's new rifle is pretty darn interesting.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
The problem is it weighs more than it needs to, is designed to handle mid pressure loads and is no where near as handy as an AR-15 carbine for up close, so it's a compromise.

Give me a 223/5.56 carbine and when I need to punch holes through things at distance, I'll take my XCR Tactical bolt gun.
Not that I didn't try the 308 auto a few times thing but it just didn't work out when I crunched the numbers.

While the 308 sized platform does weigh more than the .223 sized guns, my LAR-8 Predator starts out at 8.5pounds before ammo and scope. That is not all that much heavier than a standard hunting rifle, and still weighs about the same a a typical varmit/sniper rifle.

As far as mid-pressure loads, the LAR-8 will eat any ammo I feed it. 47grs of WIN 748 isn't a mid-range load. Like any gas gun, you taylor the powder burn rate to the gas system, not the powder charge.

Last edited by dmsbandit; 10/24/12.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
I wouldn't mind an LAR 8, but do the mags just slap in like on an AR-15 or do you have to hook the front and then push up the back? That being said, the FAL with the rail dust cover is ok, but if you want to do a quick cleaning, you have to unscrew the the sides to take the cover off. I had one, and my scope never went back to zero exactly. In the AR platform either the DPMS with Magpul mags, or the LAR 8 with FAL mags, it is easier to break down for cleaning. Fewer parts especially on the gas system. That is why I want to sell my FAL and get a DPMS or RR AR style platform.

The FAL mags slip into the LAR-8 just like AR-15 mags do.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
"As far as mid-pressure loads, the LAR-8 will eat any ammo I feed it. 47grs of WIN 748 isn't a mid-range load. Like any gas gun, you taylor the powder burn rate to the gas system, not the powder charge."

47 grs of w748 isn't anywhere close to the ragged edge, it's not even a listed max with a 150 gr bullet. But at least it shoots good. How do 5 shot groups turn out?

Last edited by TWR; 10/24/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
"As far as mid-pressure loads, the LAR-8 will eat any ammo I feed it. 47grs of WIN 748 isn't a mid-range load. Like any gas gun, you taylor the powder burn rate to the gas system, not the powder charge."

47 grs of w748 isn't anywhere close to the ragged edge, it's not even a listed max with a 150 gr bullet. But at least it shoots good. How do 5 shot groups turn out?

I go by the reloading manuals and 47grs is getting to the top or within a grain of the max listed. I generally start about 1 grain under max with my guns and see what I get.

I've never tried 5 shot groups with any rifle except my heavy barrel varmit rifle. There are varying thoughts on which is best, but multiple 3 shot groups are just as effective. I feel that when you get into doing 5 shot groups, more comes into play than the gun or load. The person doing the shooting, the weather conditions, the fatigue factor, etc. all start to effect the results.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
There was a survey done at FAL Files, and about 1/2 their owners reported that 2.5 MOA was the best they could get out of their rifles. I am disinclined to spend a pile of money on another rifle system, which might not shoot any better than an AK, and weighs as much as an AR-10 frown
If it's a range toy, then I'd be inclined to agree with you. But if it was intended as a serious fighting rifle, I�d gladly give up the accuracy edge for the additional reliability. And at 2.5 MOA I�m wondering what you�re likely to shoot at that you�ll miss due to mechanical accuracy? Most never leave the shooting bench, and from a bench the FAL doesn't impress others at the range.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I don't know. My chances of using it to ward off bad guys are slim unless a complete economic or other catistrophic breakdown. 99% of the rest of the time, I would hunt with one and shoot it occationally to keep up my skills and keep it working and clean. Therefore my reason for wanting to change from a FAL system to an AR system. FAL system parts have all but dried up around here, 308 AR systems are being sold at all gun stores and at Walmart now.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
LR308 pattern is the way of the future.

Can use lots of normal AR parts, anyway.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner
LR308 pattern is the way of the future.

Can use lots of normal AR parts, anyway.

BS, the SCAR17 RULES.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It doesn't do anything an lr308 doesn't. Less accurate, more expensive and proprietary mags.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Well, all the 308 platforms I have seen in various stores like Walmart, Academy Sports, and home owned gun stores has been the DPMS platform. With Remingtons backing, their platform is probably going to win out. They use Magpul Pmags. I've also noticed several smaller companies are going this route also.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not just DPMS and Remington. KAC, LMT, LaRue, and MEGA all use DPMS pattern receivers. Those are some big names, I dont think the DPMS .308 platform is going anywhere soon. AR's big and small are quickly becoming the modern sporting rifle.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yes, they are more accurate that the FN Fal, a little lighter, and have a multitude of options for sights and accessories. The trigger assemblies are the same as the AR-15.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I bought an HK 91 over the FAL. My reasoning is this: FAL's were made in both Imperial and Metric standards. One type parts don't belong in the other. The HK was always Metric. I'm not saying the HK is better. And I'm not disputing the FAL's record of accomplishment. I just didn't want any Charlie Foxtrot over parts and magazines.

Last edited by idahoguy101; 11/08/12.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
I bought an HK 91 over the FAL. My reasoning is this: FAL's were made in both Imperial and Metric standards. One type parts don't belong in the other. The HK was always Metric. I'm not saying the HK is better. And I'm not disputing the FAL's record of accomplishment. I just didn't want any Charlie Foxtrot over parts and magazines.
I believe that if you get the Metric FAL, it will also accept the Imperial magazines, but not the other way around.

The FAL, I believe, is ergonomically somewhat superior to the HK91, and has that pressure adjustment valve that the HK doesn't have, but the HK is every bit as rugged and reliable, and more than accurate enough. I recently sold my FAL after acquiring a PTR GI, which is an HK91/G3 clone. It's considered by many to be the best clone available.

Back in the 1980s, I had the real thing, but stupidly sold it just a few years after buying it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1936M71, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,846 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,506
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.