-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
Im looking to buy a ar in a 308. Looked at dpms, rock river, s&w, and a few others. Cant really decide what to buy, I was really interested in the lrt sass by dpms. What are your guys opinions on it? I have about 2k to spend on the rifle. Any help, preferences, suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
With $2,000 I would get the DPMS and buy about 12 Magpul magazines for it. Remington owns DPMS now and they have barreled uppers in 243, 260 Rem, 7mm08, of course 308, and 338 Federal now. If they made a 358 the 308 sized cartridges would be complete. 12 mags would allow you to have over 200 rounds available, which I think is what the military carries, with two spare mags. Still allows you to have enough to buy some accessories like scopes, lasers, etc.

I too, have been looking at all the alternatives. Remington, DPMS, and Bushmaster all use the Magpul mags now since they are owned by the same company. I think there are 2-3 others that use the same also. Rock River uses FAL magazines. One company uses Springfield M1A magazines, and one uses the Cetme (Hk-91) style mags. Problem is Remington seems to be winning out on the standard. The DPMS is also the least expensive and has all the other barrels if you want to go that route.

Last edited by Dixie_Dude; 10/22/12.
T
OP Offline
T
Im also looking for reliability, dependability, accuracy is a must. What would be the a good model from dpms?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Forget the DPMS. For the same money as their gun, You can get a RRA LAR-8 that will out shoot it and is a better made gun.

match grade 2 stage trigger from the factory
factory lapped barrel
air gauged barrel
uses FAL inch or metric mags
lifetime warranty
ambidexious controls
free floated alluminuim forend

[Linked Image]

And it will shoot like this day in and day out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Any AR style gun that will feed and shoot flat point bullets into tiny groups, is a gun that is WELL made and one to keep.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the opinions so far. Still would like a few more opinions.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DPMS - more compatible with after market items.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would look hard at LaRue Tactical. Don't know their exact cost, but a friend has one and it shoots better than most bolt guns I've seen. I believe they have one that is lighter than most. And it uses Magpul mags.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DayPacker
DPMS - more compatible with after market items.

Put a RRA LAR-8 in your hands, and then pick up a DPMS/R-25 and you'll see one thing. The RRA is a much better made gun. If you by a good rifle to start with, you don't need to worry about aftermarket items to make your cheaply made gun better. RRA offers a complete line of add ons if you want to satisfy your inner "erector set" feelings. wink

The trigger in any RRA is one of the best available at any price and it comes as a standard item in their guns. I fail to see where spending $1500 for a DPMS is a good idea if you need to do $500 worth of "work" to it to make it shoot and handle well. whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd vote Armalite AR10T - assuming you want a target/hunting gun. I have a SASS and it is very accurate, but fairly expensive relative to what you request.

I also took a AR10 carbine and fitted an 18" lightweight Ultramatch Rainer Arms barrel (Shilen blank). It shoots very well, and is a bit lighter than the bull barrel models.

Mine use the Armalite mags, which are readily available and reasonable in price from them in bulk packs. If you don't like that idea, then you can also order the "A" lowers from them, which will take PMAGS.

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yep, I think they will all take the pmags in the future. Now that Remington, DPMS, Bushmaster, and a few others are using the Magpul pmags. Kind of taking over.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a question. How long does the DPMS/R-25/Bushmaster , Armalite, and Magpul allow you to load the 308 ammo?

If the FAL mag is a larger mag, wouldn't that allow you to load the ammo longer and allow you to load heavier bullets without crowding the powder space?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Haven't heard that. Longest bullet probably is a 200 gr. I think a 220 gr is too big for he 308. 90% of hunting is with 150-180 grains. I do know the Barnes TSX is a long bullet, but it seems to work best with a weight size smaller than lead jacketed bullets.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
I have a question. How long does the DPMS/R-25/Bushmaster , Armalite, and Magpul allow you to load the 308 ammo?

If the FAL mag is a larger mag, wouldn't that allow you to load the ammo longer and allow you to load heavier bullets without crowding the powder space?

Depends on the magazines you use. LaRue mags allow for a 2.85" COAL.
Thats plenty for any bullet you want to shoot from a gas gun.

Last edited by CBMJR; 10/26/12.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wanted a 308, with the intent of long range targets and smaller big game animals in mind.
Parts interchangeably was a concern as well as availability.
I chose a dpms lr-308, with a heavy stainless fluted barrel.
Changed out the buttstock with another i had laying around with an off hand hook under, and a palm swell grip i also had.
Tried some bullets i had, and settled on 168 grain smk bthp's.
Tested several powders, and imr4064, gave the best accuracy.
I had topped it with a leupold tactical 3.5-10, in a one piece scope mount.
Couldn't be happier. The 24" barrel is long, the gun is heavy and stable and shoots like a dream.
I use p mags and lower capacity p mags are available for states that have mag restrictions for hunting.

I would choose an lr -308 again.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by splattermatic; 10/26/12.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

304 members (29aholic, 204guy, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 43 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,223
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.